Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:12 PM

710 posts, read 2,234,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
What percentage of that 24% of whites speaks English? (Not muttering, "hello" w/ fragmented sentences punctuated by long pauses) Probably about half of that 24%. What I'm saying is that even though 24% of Doral is "white", the number of those whites who aren't really white-Americans added to the 67% of Hispanic or mestizos makes Doral feel like it is 99% Hispanic.
When the facts don't fit, make up your own?
When I'VE been to Doral, ~64% sounds about right. GO TO THE DORAL ALE HOUSE. You'll fit right in, seriously.

I would imagine that MOST of the people you are seeing on occasion live outside of Doral.
And not ALL of the rest are "white!"
Population
29,685 (As of April 1st 2004, (BEBR))
Racial and Ethnic Composition
Hispanic 62.8%
White, Non Hispanic 22.7%
Black, Non Hispanic 8.8%
Other, Non Hispanic 5.7%

If you don't believe it, fine. Not really interested. Go argue with the census takers not us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Another measure of whiteness for Doral - and probably one of the more accurate measures - how many names in the phone book end in a vowel or an "ez"? Probably 90%. The 24% of whites in Doral don't reduce the foreign feel much because they are "speakie very little English" whites.
I'm a little confused about what you're saying here. Are you seriously saying that half of the 24% of non-Hispanic whites don't speak English well? Oh really? Where are they from? It doesn't make any sense for you to say that white people from Poland or Italy or Russia or wherever make Doral feel 99% Hispanic.

Another thing on which I must comment is the sentiment that most people in Doral speak broken English. I really haven't experienced that. It seems like ALL the younger people and many of the middle-aged people speak English well. The senior citizens, well that's another story! My sister who speaks almost no Spanish has no problem shopping at Dolphin Mall, and I think the only place she's ever been where she has complained about the lack of English is at International Mall.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,765,635 times
Be honest! How many white Europeans other than a few Spaniards do you see in Doral??? There might be a German or a Frenchman here or there, but its like finding a needle in a haystack. The vast, overwhelming majority of people in Doral come from Cuba or Venezuela.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Be honest! How many white Europeans other than a few Spaniards do you see in Doral??? There might be a German or a Frenchman here or there, but its like finding a needle in a haystack. The vast, overwhelming majority of people in Doral come from Cuba or Venezuela.
You got it! 62.8%!

Old 11-14-2008, 05:27 PM

483 posts, read 1,545,226 times
Your exagerating a bit, actually more than a bit. I live in Hialeah and know what over 90% hispanic is like. I work in Doral and it is not the same, if your just assuming off of a trip to wal-mart then you are naive. Most wal-marts in the country are Managua, Kingston type places, just by the people.
But I don't know if I should continue arguing your more than ridiculous disingenuous remarks, but go ahead with your luny tone, some of us will atleast try to counter some of them.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:27 PM

Most people that live in Doral are Latin America. We get it. However, it's quite disturbing that you imply that people with Spanish last names are likely to "no speaka eengleesh" because PLENTY of people in Doral are young people or middle aged people who are second generation, even third generation Americans who speak English as their preferred language.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:33 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,765,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Most people that live in Doral are Latin America. We get it. However, it's quite disturbing that you imply that people with Spanish last names are likely to "no speaka eengleesh" because PLENTY of people in Doral are young people or middle aged people who are second generation, even third generation Americans who speak English as their preferred language.

What's so disturbing? I'm only trying to make a point. Don't go playin' victim already...

I believe the correct term is "No speakie English!"

Old 11-14-2008, 05:39 PM

"Playing victim"? I am not a victim at all. I am from this country and English is my first language. I just won't put up with you pretending like Doral is 99% "no speakie English" fresh-off-the-boat Latin American when both STASTICS and the personal experience of myself and others are telling you that what you are saying just isn't so.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
What's so disturbing? I'm only trying to make a point. Don't go playin' victim already...

I believe the correct term is "No speakie English!"
What could your "point" possibly be?
That statistics lie? That census takers are corrupt? That what you saw at Wal Mart is what exists EVERYWHERE? That because some "white" folks who are comfortable living around lots of Hispanics can't possibly speakie English?

62.8% Hispanic is a lot. That's a MAJORITY!!! But it is way lower than LOTS of places in Miami.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,902 times
its funny, i was just searching around from threads seeing how it goes off topic.

on the one hand, someone asking about young children, (including some language issues) then it ends up BEING about language barriers and ethnicities LOL

nothing wrong with it, just funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami