Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 PM

83 posts, read 216,893 times

Advertisements

You know what i find to be a big problem on these posts: people take a city as large as miami and condense it into a city the size of south beach. The metro dade area is HUGE, depending on where you live you will see and interact with different people. In miami however, you have the unique phenomenon of having hispanics be the sort of "base population" and everyone else having their own "areas" or "communities" in the county. Hispanics, in a decent size, are everywhere down here. Whites/Blacks/Asians/different nationalities other than hispanic ones (like austrailian for example) are found spread out throughout the city. Certain areas will have more of them (white ppl in pinecrest), some places will have a mix (white europeans/hispanics in coral gables) and finally certain areas will have barely any (blacks in westchester/sweetwater/fontainbleu). The one constant you'll find almost anywhere in the county is hispanics. Diversity exists - just not in a NYC kind of way where everything is evenly cut up demographically and every country in the world has someone living there. BUT Miami is the LARGEST MELTING POT OF LATIN AMERICA in the US and perhaps even in the western hemisphere, at least concentrated in such a small area: you have large pops of nicaraguans/columbians/cubans/brazilians/argentinians/hondurans/puerto ricans/venezuelans/bolivians etc). To me, thats pretty diverse on some level. And miami is what you make of it too. At least you have a year round warm climate to go out and find ppl you like and become friends with them ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Miami is undoubtedly less diverse than Los Angeles or New York. However, many people grossly underestimate the racial, ethnic, and religious diversity that the Miami area has.

It boggles my mind when I see people from Miami - who should know better - group all "Hispanics" together and treat them as a group. Not only is the Latin population in Miami from dozens of countries (including the United States), but it is getting more racially diverse by the day. No longer is being Latin in Miami synonymous with being a white Cuban who arrived in 1962; over the last 30 years there has been a large amount of growth in the black, mulatto, and mestizo Latin population. In Miami, many "Hispanics" do not identify with each other. For example, a Cuban-American from Coral Gables is much more likely to identify with an Anglo-American than with a Honduran immigrant.

Even if one insists on ignoring the diversity in the 60% of the population that is "Hispanic," there is great variety in the non-Hispanic white and non-Hispanic black population. For example, there are tens of thousands of whites from the United States, Brazil, Europe, and even South Africa. In many areas, the majority of black residents aren't from the United States, but from Haiti, Jamaica, and Trinidad. The Miami area is home to one of the highest concentration of Jews in the world, has one of the greatest concentrations of Catholics in North America, and of course has a large number of Protestants as well.

The Miami area lacks large East Asian, South Asian, and Middle Eastern populations, but even those groups are represented to an extent. Believe it or not, Christian Lebanese and Syrians have a small historic presence in The Roads area, there is a burgeoning East Asian community in North Miami Beach, and many Indian/Pakistani professionals live in the Falls area of Kendall.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times
As much as people here complain about people other than whites living in Miami, I'd almost think these are racist posts. As long as Latinos, Hatians, Cubans, blacks, etc, obey the law and are civil, I'm ok with it. Sure, Miami has crime. So does NY, LA, Atlanta, Houston, etc, etc.

I think if we remember that all of us descended from Noah and his family, we'd realize that we're all inter-related anyway. We're all basically one "race", so we should see each other as either closely or distantly related. I think it would help our outlook a little instead of us vs. them.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:06 PM

413 posts, read 819,505 times
Plenty of Europeans in Miami (French, Italians, Germans for the most part). More so than any other US city on a per capita base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami