Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times

Advertisements

Have you heard of the new law in Spain that will give Spanish citizenship to those descendants of Spanish immigrants? Thousands of Cubans in the island are applying. Over the next two years, it is extimated that 200,000 Cubans will have the Spanish citizenship, and they will ALL move to MIAMI!!!! LOL. I am so glad I no longer live in the swamp!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Have you heard of the new law in Spain that will give Spanish citizenship to those descendants of Spanish immigrants? Thousands of Cubans in the island are applying. Over the next two years, it is extimated that 200,000 Cubans will have the Spanish citizenship, and they will ALL move to MIAMI!!!! LOL. I am so glad I no longer live in the swamp!
Interesting, can you provide a link?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say...
Personally, I think around Christmas and New Years I feel blessed that I have so much and remember the scripture "Pearls before swine."

Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Do you guys spend all day making this stuff up?

Quote:
I swear, you gotta.
I mean, it's entertaining and all and Sunrico is polite and asks for a link, but jesh

I've got family in Spain, doing very well, I'm in Miami (also have to give thanks) and know well the political situation in Cuba. MOD Deleted.
As for your 'swamp' comment, I live very well here, I go to Key Bicayne and the Keys, ride my bike, the Grove is wonderful to just walk around, overgrown canopy 70-100 years old....
I mean, really, a lot of Cubans are either well-off or just plain wealthy, you seemed not to have met any.

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-30-2008 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Off-topic

Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Interesting, can you provide a link?
Quote:
Sunrico, as most records that would prove that one is a descendant from Spanish Grandparents or Great Grandparents are from the 1800s, these are not always readily available.
Yes, Churches have them etc.
But even then it is Castro who decides how many leave, so the point is moot.
The fallacy in the above statements are these: many Cubans have no interest in coming to America. They consider the US to be an unhealthy place to live. I have a relative (doctor) who left Cuba for Spain in early 2000. She had no desire to come to the US.
The next statement is truly bizarre, the one that sees a cause and effect between Spanish citizenship and immigration to the US.
Really, that statement just defies all logic so to comment on that one....
Then finally, Sunrico, the gratuitous 'swamp' comment
Miami is one of the places on Earth where the truly rich actually live.
A lot of 'just' well-off people like Miami.
Oh, I can hear the screams of the "poverty...."
It's been pointed out already by others in this forum, Miami is a tale of two cities. And some here are very satisfied to be here and could afford to be in a lot of other places.
I've got two balconies, I see the Bay and Coral Gables. Sometimes I pinch myself, it's that beautiful.
So, as to the 'swamp' comment, I'd take that with a boulder size lump of rock salt.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:05 PM

433 posts, read 953,618 times
Quote:
CLTKing:

The law is totally true. However, let me tell you that as a cuban and as spanish citizen too. There is a lot of cubans in Spain, and cubans in general are more comfortable in the spanish culture, especially with the language. But also, I think that some cubans will come to the Miami swamp and will stay here; like I did. Nonetheless, I think the majority will end in Madrid or Islas Canarias; I hope you know both places. Moreover, the majority of cubans that I know that once lived in Spain and came to take a chance in the US, came back to their beloved Spain after a few months. After all, cuban culture shares more links whith the spanish culture than the US culture. So, take it easy, there wont be a new inmigrant wave for this issue.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 AM

910 posts, read 753,629 times
I cannot believe that the first person who initiated this thread is serious. How will Cuba be "lost" by progress? The tragedy of Cuba was its independence from the Spanish crown -- but now the only solution is progress, and that means corporations going in there. I just don't understand why the US government hasn't gone in there and gotten rid of those communists. All they would need would be a few bullets: one for Fidel Castro, another one for his brother Raul, and a third one for Carlos Lage, and a small prison cell for Felipe Perez Roque.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 AM

910 posts, read 753,629 times
Quote:
I am from Spain and I am not worried about Cubans coming over to Spain IF they are truly descendants of our people -- what worries me though is the flood that is going to come from South America by giving nationality to people who have never set foot in my country. That is absolutely disgusting and reprehensible, especially because most of these "Grandchildren" of Spaniards only have one grandparent who was from Spain but from some of the photographs I've seen, they don't look like Spaniards at all. That is an invasion that is not welcomed by MOST spaniards.

The case of Cuba is a little bit different: Fidel Castro for example is definitely a Spaniard (although of the putrid communist variety).

Old 01-04-2009, 07:24 AM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I just don't understand why the US government hasn't gone in there and gotten rid of those communists.
And what do you think would happen if Castro and his brother were assassinated, and the whole Cuban junta went docile. Would you start the search for an oligarch to take over?

The problems of everyone in the world is not the U.S.'s problem. The U.S. has tinkered around in Latin American for well over 100 years, with pretty poor results. My question is, why did hundreds of thousands leave Cuba rather than stay and fight? Was a mass genocide going on? Was Casto going to put two million people in prison? There's a mythology surrounding Castro among American Cubans. They've turned him into a god, who's killed millions of Cubans (they will tell you this with a straight face).

Cuba is not of great significance to the U.S., no more than any other Caribbean nation. We have more important things to worry about. Given the mass exodus of Cubans from Cuba, they obviously had more important things to worry about as well (like their bank balance).

How do you feel about Haiti? I'll bet I can guess how you feel about Iraq.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:26 AM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I am from Spain and I am not worried about Cubans coming over to Spain IF they are truly descendants of our people -- what worries me though is the flood that is going to come from South America by giving nationality to people who have never set foot in my country. That is absolutely disgusting and reprehensible, especially because most of these "Grandchildren" of Spaniards only have one grandparent who was from Spain but from some of the photographs I've seen, they don't look like Spaniards at all. That is an invasion that is not welcomed by MOST spaniards.

The case of Cuba is a little bit different: Fidel Castro for example is definitely a Spaniard (although of the putrid communist variety).
Do you realize how nazi you sound? Maybe you can analyze their facial features and measure their heads before you give them a passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami