Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 AM

14 posts, read 37,875 times

Advertisements

We moved to Palmetto Bay in August from Australia (lived there for three years) after having lived in the Washington DC area for many years. We specifically wanted to live in the Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay area (my husband's office is near the zoo and we had heard great things about this area) so I didn't look much beyond those villages. I absolutely love it here. Great parks, close to shopping & restaurants (the Falls, Dadeland), lots to do that is close by (Zoo, Matheson State Park, Fairchild Park, Deering Estate, the Everglades, not to mention everything Miami city proper has to offer), and it is safe... we are very happy here.

Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, Howard Drive and Coral Reef (that is where my children go - 3rd and 4th grades) are all great elementary schools. I have friends with children in pre-school and it seems there are many great options. I know a few that go to one on the corner of 104th St and 77th ave (may Methodist?) and love it. I would stay away from Perrine (down in the Cutler Bay area). There are some beautiful homes (between 168th st down to 184th Street, east of US1) but the demographics of Perrine ES are not that great. You can look on the great schools website to see what I mean - it is an A school but look at bit closer and there are some other factors that made it not as appealing to us as the other schools in the area.

I did alot of looking on line before we came for our house hunting trip - the inventory varies but there is a lot out there right now and well within your price range. We looked at several homes in PB that were in your price range & they are still on the market now, six months later. The prices are not as low as they are going to get (in my opinion) but some of the homes have been on the market for so long, it doesn't hurt to lowball - the worst they can say is no. Just make sure that the homes you look at are in the school(s) you want - the Miami Dade county website lets you type in the home address to see what school you will go to.
You can email me privately if you have any other questions.
Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:37 PM

239 posts, read 671,486 times
I also agree with the previous posts regarding Pametto Bay. This is by far the best school district IMO and you should be able to find something in your price range. However, be careful when you are looking for a house and double check the MDPS website to verify the school district. The school district boundaries here are tricky. Regarding Coral Gables and South Miami (south/East of US1), these are all considered in the school of choice zone which consists of 3 elementary schools so it is a lottery no matter what anyone (or agent) tells you. Unless you have a very knowlegable and honest RE agent, they will try to convince you that you will have priority but it just isn't the case. Proximity to the school is NOT a guaruntee. Pincecrest is also a boundary school meaning if you live within pinecrest, you will go to Pinecrest. It has a very good reputation also but again, double check the address with the School website as many areas claim to be pinecrest which are actually not. I would also just give you a word of caution: We are also originally from the north. South Florida is VERY VERY different from other parts of Florida. I'm not sure what you are expecting but I would advise you to spend some time on this forum. If parking on the lawn perplexes you, you will be in for a real culture shock. Best of Luck to you and your family.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:14 PM

35 posts, read 89,148 times
Default Choose Miami Springs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy7890 View Post
Hello All,

My husband has a possible job opportunity in Miami (I believe it's Medley). We currently live in Sebastian, Florida and are considering the areas in which to live in Miami.

We have a 2.5 year old and are expecting our second child soon so we would like to live in an area that is very family friendly, great schools and low crime. We would consider private schools but of course cost is a factor so we might need to go public in which case this would be a huge factor in our location.

We are looking for a 4 bedroom home and are used to living in 'developement'/'subdivision' type communities. We like the feel of developments that are 'deed restricted' but it doesn't need to be a gated development. We just don't want the value of our home to go down due to a messy neighbor with his car parked on the lawn. (coming from the northeast this has always puzzled me...) Anyway, we have been researching the Coral Gables and Pinecrest area but my husband would be willing to travel up to 45 minutes to work so we could consider other areas.

These are some things we would like in a town.
  • Family Friendly area
  • Great schools (we'd be looking for preschools at first)
  • Safe Area/Low Crime
  • Middle to higher income families
  • Family type things to do (nice parks, kids events, etc.)
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
nicsma2002 is absolutely correct! Miami Springs basically fits everything you want, the only thing it doesn't fit is sub-division type home, or homes with gate-type entrance, but that shouldn't be a problem if you look at all the positives to outmatch it! Overall it is a great place, Prince Field is a great family park, which also has recreational activities you can register your child for(summer camp, football, wrestling, baseball etc...) Miami Springs elm. is a great public school, and the Springs has good private schools too such as Blessed Trinity, All Angels and much more(also has good day-care services for your kids). People are very friendly, many family-oriented people, crime is low and the police are very strict here too.

And forget about the 45 minute drive to work! lol In the Springs it would only be about 10 minutes, and 25 at the MOST, depending where you live in the Springs. And about Liberty city and all those places?
Liberty City and other bad NW neighborhoods are about 5 miles east of it. Chances are that you wont have to go there anyways! Hialeah, yeah you may need to go there at times but thats no worry, because Hialeah isnt bad at all, I dont care what anybody says. It may not be the best place, but crime isnt really a worry, and if you ever need a certain thing,(certain stores, malls, etc...) its got it!

Well thats my input, if you have ANYTHING that you would like to ask, just ask me!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,577 times
Not an issue at all, MS is completely isolated from Liberty City and Brownsville - heck, I don't even know how to get there from MS, would have to look it up - they may as well be 50 miles away. And Hialeah is actually useful to have nearby for occasional shopping + we found a really great vet there and a piano teacher, too (both English speaking! lol), I have no problems with Hialeah.

Miami Springs is kind of like "the land that time forgot" in S. Florida - very reminscent of a northern town, oak-lined streets, bike paths, great recreation programs, totally family-centered town. It's what Miami was in the 1970's. People often refer to it as "Mayberry". If you're gonna work in Medley, it only makes sense to look into Miami Springs. Sure, Palmetto Bay is nice, but why travel 45-60 minutes if you can live in a safe, peaceful community right next door?

Joshywoshy hit the nail on the head, he clearly knows MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
yous ure about that? ms is right near liberty city/brownsville, and Hialeah. so it might not fit their criteria

Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 AM

763 posts, read 3,533,563 times
If you want a short commute (10 mins), I'd look into Miami Springs first and foremost without a doubt. Miami Springs is a planned community from the 40s/50s and is very, very nice. It's middle to upper middle class and the houses there have a varied mid-century style of architecture that are well-kept and with lots of trees and parks. I can't really speak for the public schools in Miami Springs in that area, but I'm going to guess they're good, especially the elementary schools.

If you want a longer commute (30-45 mins), but still a nice area, I'd look into Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, Coral Gables or maybe even Kendall. Palmetto Bay and Pinecrest are really, really nice, very safe, clean, well-kept, and are mostly upper middle class with nice homes, lots of parks and most importantly, really good public schools. The area also has a lot of good shopping districts, marinas, parks, and some areas even have Metrorail access so your husband can take the Metro to Medley. Coral Gables is nice because it's another "semi-planned" community from the 1920s with nice homes, lots and lots of trees and parks, and the schools are all fairly good too. Kendall is okay, but I'd look into these other areas first.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Last edited by kevinkagy; 02-10-2009 at 12:41 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 PM

809 posts, read 2,316,811 times
If proximity to work is what you want, stick to Miami Springs. If you want a short drive, go to Doral.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM

The two elementary schools are good. One is a bilingual school (Eng/Span) and almost has a private school atmosphere. The other is larger and I think has less of a "controlled" atmosphere, but both have been ranked "A" schools for many years. I hear good things about both.

The middle school and high school... meh. I think if your child is in the gifted/honors/AP classes, these might be okay, but otherwise, not so sure about these.

All Angels (Episcopal, PK-8) and Blessed Trinity (Catholic, PK-5??) are both very, very good affordable private schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
I can't really speak for the public schools in Miami Springs in that area, but I'm going to guess they're good, especially the elementary schools.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 PM

Actually from the 1920's. Some interesting historic homes there with a pueblo theme. But most homes are contemporary styles (mediterranean, typical FL types, etc.).

Quote:
Miami Springs is a planned community from the 40s/50s and is very, very nice.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,076 times
Quote:
. I can't really speak for the public schools in Miami Springs in that area, but I'm going to guess they're good, especially the elementary schools.
The elementary schools are good the middle school is average not the best but not the worst.... The highschool has gotten better since they built Reagan and Westland High so its not as bad as it used to be when they were busing in kids from all over hialeah and liberty city.... The only thing i can say bad about the miami springs area is that there are a lot of hipocrits and many drug addicts although they may not show it miami springs has many drug and alcohol problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami