Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 10:27 AM

24 posts, read 89,360 times

Advertisements

What is the standard dresscode in financial centers such as Miami? In particular I'm curious what it's like in the financial service industries such as banking and insurance (or any other formal office).

Do the men usually wear traditional business attire such suit, collar & tie? Woman - formal outfits, heels, pantyhose etc? Or is it more laid back?

While I know few companies would dare to have official dresscodes in place, often certain cities have the "unofficial" business rules in terms of how one should dress in an office setting. I work in Toronto (Canada) and it's generally conservative & formal dresscode in the office. Not that people would look down on you if you are casual, but does hurt you if you want promotion. In other words they PREFER it if you dress up in Toronto if you are in the financial center. Just wondering if the hot & humid climate in Miami drives what people wear... No secret that, for example, a suit & tie is rather hot. That being said, I can easily go with the flow regardless - just wondering what it's like in Miami...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,641 times
I am not in the banking/finance sector, but for the most part, most people who work in banks seem dressed for business. I have a friend who works in a bank as a supervisor for a department, and he and all his employees, as well as those above him, wear suits. The women seem business-ready too.
If you are planning to work in Miami in hte business/financial realm, I would say have your business attire ready, but also have some casual items too.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,850 times
Miami is pretty relax when it comes to dress codes. Most men don't wear a suit and tie, the humidity and hot weather would give all a heat stroke. Women usually wear dresses or slacks, but I do see lots of high heels. Over all, it depends on the culture of your company/employer and how relax or uptight they are about their appereance. I worked for an architectural firm and I used to wear a tie a couple of times a week. But that was just me, no one else did in the office.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Depends who you work for and the clients you deal with. A big law firm is going to have suit and tie, most banks will too. A smaller company might not. Depends. I would say Miami is a bit more relaxed compared to other Financial Centers such as Boston od NYC

Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM

27 posts, read 187,058 times
I work for a large downtown law firm and we have "business casual" every day. This is very flexible and also varies by age and your personal ambition. The lawyers who meet with clients and who are trying to climb the corporate ladder dress professionally but more casually than in a cooler climate. The official policy does prohibit shorts, jeans and tank tops and lawyers are supposed to have a suit, or at least a jacket, ready in their office in case of an unexpected client meeting. Dress more professionally at first and you will gradually get an idea of what is expected at your work place.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:56 PM

259 posts, read 840,319 times
I work as an accountant and we are also extremelly "business casual" as well (unless you are meeting with clients). Compared to other large cities, it seems to be a little more laid back in South Florida when it comes to that, IMO. Then again, that's just what I've noticed. I always assumed it was mostly due to the heat.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,225 times
Depends if you are in a financial/investment center of a bank or a neighborhood bank and the position. At the financial center everyone wears suits - last time I went everyone wore the same navy blue suit and white shirt. In your neighborhood bank, senior people wear suits, a bit more on the casual side, or dress slacks, shirts, tie. Tellers generally dress in more casual attire that is one notch above business casual. The men will still wear a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami