Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 PM

176 posts, read 647,076 times

Advertisements

Kjohnson...your posts are very informative and help keep my feelings on the up and up while I'm still trying to drum up money for the northeast. To the other regular posters..your feelings of isolation and

I did, after all, grow up here, and will naturally possess an affinity towards the natural pine-tree dotted landscape (in pockets) that still remains. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the towns like Palmetto Bay and Redland that have still retained some of their charm and tranquility....Deering Estate and the Barnacle are some of my favorite places to rest my mind...

as well as the outdoor cafe at Dimitrio's in the Gables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 11:16 PM

I meant to say your feelings of isolation and exclusion have become an ongoing occurence in my day-to-day existence, but I just play it down and realize there's no use complaining..you can't change these people overnight..and Miami's plebian class will always be there to wipe up after them

Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 PM

90 posts, read 353,027 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas_flow View Post
i love miami and i think this is a great place to be. where else would you find so many hot azz women and such a great scene.

tired of hearign about how bad this place is because its not true

more of you negativity people need to leave this group then leave this city. we dont need you!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for proving our point about Miami. People like you and your thug attitude are one of the main reason I no longer live in that dump. Do you think you come of as tough or intelligent with your comment? I can tell you its neither. More like ignorant and uneducated. Why dont you leave the posting to the intelligent adults.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 AM

"Negativity people"..wasn't that an 80's post-punk no wave band from Chelsea?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:41 AM

398 posts, read 1,409,815 times
[quote=induhvidual;510437]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
You know what? You need to come here and live for some time and make your own conclusions. ---------

And thats exactly what I am coming for----
I appreciate all the info here, especially the negative because it helps with my reality check.
This is also why I will (obviously) rent for the first year. A whole year will be sufficient time to get my feet wet in Miami
And then I will be sure to post my "experiences" of the city.
Induhvidual
You got it. Is good to hear good and bad feedback. Come with a positive attitude, optimist. And keep us posted with your experiences. Maybe you're the lucky one. lol

Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM

29 posts, read 94,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonk422 View Post
I've used this site for some research and to satisfy curiosity in the past and happened to stumble across the Miami forums. Wow. At times I felt like I was reading the Book of Revelation, and at other times listening to a spoiled 6 year old brat moan about why the world is unfair. It inspired me to open an account just to offer up a (lukewarm) defense of this city, which some posters seem to happily equate to Baghdad or Kabul. (And before a wave of trolls attack my credibility, I have lived in Dade County for the last 10 years, in a few different neighborhoods, currently live in the Kendall area close to the Dadeland. I am single and do not have kids, so I am definitely NOT claiming to speak for an "average" family, if there is such a thing.)

First of all, my advice to these angsty, hateful posters is MOVE. For your own good, for your own stability, prosperity, and health. Common sense dictates that if living in an area literally sickens you in all aspects, you should probably discontinue living in that area. Maybe this isn't financially feasible for a lot of these people (or perhaps they are already in the process of moving), but it seems to make much common sense to me.

Yes, Miami does have a larger-than-usual set of problems for a city of its size, and developments over the last few years have seemingly exacerbated many of them. Yes, this isn't the "friendliest" city, the cleanest city, the safest city, the most aesthetically appealing city, the most financially sound city, and on and on and on. In fact, it's close to the bottom in many areas. But regardless, many of us are still satisfied to call Miami-Dade home. On an earlier thread a poster made the comment that "there are people who enjoy Miami, but they tend to not be as vocal as those who hate the city..." I am one of them. I am a middle-class, not rich, business professional, NOT Hispanic/Latino, fluent in French but know only a few phrases in Spanish, born and raised in the Midwest (Kansas City) but have also lived in NYC, Atlanta, and Boston. I am quite happy with Miami and, if I had any real "gripes", it would be that lack of Spanish tends to limit my social options, and that the drivers here can be lunatics (still, I've seen worse!) And yes, there are racist Latinos in Dade County who will get uptight and refuse to speak English, but reading over this forum has made it quite clear that there are plenty of equally virulently racist Caucasians sharing ground with them. *Shrugs* It goes both ways. As an educated middle-class white, I tend not to criticize immigrants who may have lost everything and are only here to obtain a better life, even if some of these immigrants may be total *****holes. The last time I checked, that was part of this small thing called the American Dream.

As for my personal reasons for choosing Miami, they are varied. Part of it had to do with corporate interests. I spent a good portion of my life dealing with snow and ice for half of the year, and I will never go back to that again. I enjoy the pace here, the restaurants, shopping, entertainment venues, etc. As cliche'd as it might sound, the diversity is sort of refreshing. Overall, South Florida is liberal and accepting; I've never lived in a classic "Bible Belt" environment, but as I'm openly gay, I really don't think I could stomach it. Overall I can't say that Miami "blows me away" but, unlike some of these posters, I do enjoy living here and I am not considering moving unless business or a natural catastrophe leads me elsewhere.

I'm not going to engage in comment warring with the people who have so viciously attacked this city and county, because that's rather pointless; I'm firm in my opinion/lifestyle choices, just as they are firm in theirs. My point is: if you are considering moving to Miami or Greater South Florida, visit first, spend some time here, and then rent before buying if possible. Take everything that you read here, including my comments, with a grain of salt; no two people will see an international city in the same light. Do not come to Miami expecting the Great American Paradise, and do not come to Miami expecting the glamorous, debauchery-ridden playground of Will Smith's song (unless your last name is Hilton.) And yes, I'll be the first person to say that if you're married with 2 kids, only making $35-$45K and expecting to live in a "nice" neighborhood here with a quaint middle-class white picket fence lifestyle, you'll probably be out of luck. But do not be scared away from Dade County by people who would prefer to live on a farm in Rolla, Missouri (or among those hicks in North Florida) and really do not need to be in this county, or any county with more than 100,000 people.

And don't forget, there's always Broward and Palm Beach counties as well. If you're considering a S. Florida move, just do your homework and you can't go wrong, whether you decide to live here or not. I have a few friends who live in the Weston area (a suburb in western Broward County) and love it there. Hopefully this will be helpful and establish some "balance" in the Miami discussions .

ROCK ON!!! Thats all I can say.

I'm in the process of making the move to S.Florida from North NJ and its people like you that keep me motivated to keep it moving.

I also am openly gay and find that I'm generally accepted everywhere here in Jersey, but can't wait to meet the scene down there!

Thank you for your outlook.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:44 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,388 times
Unfortunately many of these Hispanics , not all but many are just plain arrogant , rude and have refused to assimilate in many ways as well they are opionated and loud unlike the poorer Mexican and Central Americans in the mentioned cities who tend to "stay in their place " and do not live in wealthy enclaves like the ones just mentioned . Yes there also poor Hispanics in Miami as well ( obviously ) but the wealthy and powerful .. look at the developers and City Comission are what is a threat and intimidating to Anglos.

Last , you also have a small group of posters , 5-6 persons ( we know who they are ) that constantly trash Miami and South Florida , although I do agree with them from time to time .. their actions border on a cry for mental health therapy !!

---------------

The City of Miami should have a fund to relocate sufering people in Miami Dade that are on the verge of mental collapse if they stay in the city. Since many allege financial reasons for not abandoning the city, Local Government should provide relief so they can resume their lives in towns or cities of their choosing.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM

145 posts, read 302,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Unfortunately many of these Hispanics , not all but many are just plain arrogant , rude and have refused to assimilate in many
etc.

Miami is 60% foreign born. Assimilation is a process of generations, not immediate arrival. The kids of these immigrants will be significantly more adjusted to the US. All of my friends are the kids of immigrants and ALL are normal Americans, with normal American behaviors and attitudes. Their parents are much less adjusted or assimilated.

We've just had a massive boom in migration to the US. It is slowing now. These things come and go in phases.

ANYWAYS,

I enjoy living in Miami. Though, my better half and I are moving to Ft. Lauderdale in the next few months, but that is for reasons of commute/employment.

Speaking of, where can I live in Lauderdale and be in a safe area, urban, that is walkable? I haven't been to Lauderdale all that much. I like to be able to walk to a pub, store, cafe etc.. I'm not all that fond of my car.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:37 AM

268 posts, read 900,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Unfortunately many of these Hispanics , not all but many are just plain arrogant , rude and have refused to assimilate in many ways as well they are opionated and loud unlike the poorer Mexican and Central Americans in the mentioned cities who tend to "stay in their place " and do not live in wealthy enclaves like the ones just mentioned . Yes there also poor Hispanics in Miami as well ( obviously ) but the wealthy and powerful .. look at the developers and City Comission are what is a threat and intimidating to Anglos.Last , you also have a small group of posters , 5-6 persons ( we know who they are ) that constantly trash Miami and South Florida , although I do agree with them from time to time .. their actions border on a cry for mental health therapy !! The City of Miami should have a fund to relocate sufering people in Miami Dade that are on the verge of mental collapse if they stay in the city. Since many allege financial reasons for not abandoning the city, Local Government should provide relief so they can resume their lives in towns or cities of their choosing.
Mr. Vigildo, as usual is 100% correct. Bravo sir.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:24 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,388 times
I mean...if you wanna hear another language, eat foreign foods, listen foreign music, and live in a different country, I guess you go on vacation to another country. But having all of that in your own nation sounds to me a little scary and weird...is not that Miami has some problems like any other big city. NO. Is not that at all. The problem is that Miami is not an American city at all. The culture, the lifestyle of the majority, is similar to a third world city. It has good things, yes I believe that. It is impossible to have a city with absolutely nothing good. I don't see what is good but I believe it has good things for some people. But those good details are too little compared with all the sacrifice of living in a so different place. And I'm positive that 95% of Americans living here will tell you the same thing. I visit customers all day long and I do talk about these issues with them. People even get emotional when they can share their feelings with somebody. The frustration you hear in this forum, is a common feeling between Americans living in Miami.

---------------

Well, peckerwood, the Appalachians are still there. O'possum season is open. Why do you torture yourself being here? Are you a masochist? Do we tell you how to smoke squirrels or how to treat your dawg? Git packing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami