Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:23 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times

Advertisements

Latest news is the man was not in a cross walk and the driver was going 10 over the speed limit which just about everyone does on that road. I am sure there will be some extra enforcement in the next few weeks. Also i heard that toxicology reports where not out and anything that says he was drunk is a false statement as of now.

As for driving in Miami one of the problems is you have so many drivers from so many different places, Haiti, Argentina (NOW THAT IS CRAZY DRIVING) Columbia, France, US NE etc.. In Boston which is bad too everyone drives the same fast and rude. In Miami you have fast and rude, fast and bad, slow and too nice, slow and bad etc.. I was on I-95 a few nights ago and there was a young lady (haitian probably) driving her 94 accord at 35mph in the left lane!!!!! A everyone had to slow down than a idiot in a Jaguar passed the lady and cut her off causing her to break I had to break and the car behind me almost hit me. Two wrongs dont make a right. Now I did flash my lights and honk my horn at this lady but she just did not care. I was close to calling FHP since this lady almost caused 3 accidents since I was behind her. Going 35mph in the left lane! That is more dangerous than going 95mph. That is the type of thing I cant stand. Also peds in this city are just as stupid as the drivers, driving through little Haiti or Biscayne at night is dangerous because people just pop out infront of cars in the middle of the street all the time. Again this is something common in areas like the caribbean.

When i drive in DC it is better but there are still plenty of agressive drivers, same goes for NYC,Chicago,LA. Driving in big cities is somewhat of a talent. All my friends from suburbs hate driving in the city they think is is hard and dangerous. Yea it is different but it is harder and more dangerous in all the big cities not just Miami. But I will say Miami is the worst but there are cities which do compare like Boston and NYC.

Also I will admit that I speed I speed plenty on the HIGHWAY not streets. Do I speed in the rain? no, Traffic? No, on an empty highway at 2am dry roads yes. Speeding is not the problem in most cases. its just plain out bad driving and people not paying attention more ahead of them than just whats in front of them. As a pilot you always have to be 5 minutes ahead of you plane or your going to get into trouble. Same goes for cars dont just be looking 2 seconds infront of you look 10-15 or even 20 seconds. That is how you are supposed to drive. And if you do that you can drive safely even at 120mph. Ask the Germans!!!

Also getting a Florida Drivers license was one of the easiest task of my life to have the right to do what might be one of the most dangerous things I do in my life! The test was just a small course park the car and thats it. A test should involve street and highway driving, make the person go around a traffic circle and park the car in many ways, hey even go on a skid pad. Driving is too dangerous to make it so EASY to get a license. That is another problem. People dont know how to control their car when they understeer or oversteer etc.. And they just panic. People need to learn this simple task and this will reduce accidents. If you cant pass a hard driving test than I say take the bus!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 07:07 AM

436 posts, read 1,090,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Latest news is the man was not in a cross walk and the driver was going 10 over the speed limit which just about everyone does on that road. I am sure there will be some extra enforcement in the next few weeks. Also i heard that toxicology reports where not out and anything that says he was drunk is a false statement as of now.

As for driving in Miami one of the problems is you have so many drivers from so many different places, Haiti, Argentina (NOW THAT IS CRAZY DRIVING) Columbia, France, US NE etc.. In Boston which is bad too everyone drives the same fast and rude. In Miami you have fast and rude, fast and bad, slow and too nice, slow and bad etc.. I was on I-95 a few nights ago and there was a young lady (haitian probably) driving her 94 accord at 35mph in the left lane!!!!! A everyone had to slow down than a idiot in a Jaguar passed the lady and cut her off causing her to break I had to break and the car behind me almost hit me. Two wrongs dont make a right. Now I did flash my lights and honk my horn at this lady but she just did not care. I was close to calling FHP since this lady almost caused 3 accidents since I was behind her. Going 35mph in the left lane! That is more dangerous than going 95mph. That is the type of thing I cant stand. Also peds in this city are just as stupid as the drivers, driving through little Haiti or Biscayne at night is dangerous because people just pop out infront of cars in the middle of the street all the time. Again this is something common in areas like the caribbean.

When i drive in DC it is better but there are still plenty of agressive drivers, same goes for NYC,Chicago,LA. Driving in big cities is somewhat of a talent. All my friends from suburbs hate driving in the city they think is is hard and dangerous. Yea it is different but it is harder and more dangerous in all the big cities not just Miami. But I will say Miami is the worst but there are cities which do compare like Boston and NYC.

Also I will admit that I speed I speed plenty on the HIGHWAY not streets. Do I speed in the rain? no, Traffic? No, on an empty highway at 2am dry roads yes. Speeding is not the problem in most cases. its just plain out bad driving and people not paying attention more ahead of them than just whats in front of them. As a pilot you always have to be 5 minutes ahead of you plane or your going to get into trouble. Same goes for cars dont just be looking 2 seconds infront of you look 10-15 or even 20 seconds. That is how you are supposed to drive. And if you do that you can drive safely even at 120mph. Ask the Germans!!!

Also getting a Florida Drivers license was one of the easiest task of my life to have the right to do what might be one of the most dangerous things I do in my life! The test was just a small course park the car and thats it. A test should involve street and highway driving, make the person go around a traffic circle and park the car in many ways, hey even go on a skid pad. Driving is too dangerous to make it so EASY to get a license. That is another problem. People dont know how to control their car when they understeer or oversteer etc.. And they just panic. People need to learn this simple task and this will reduce accidents. If you cant pass a hard driving test than I say take the bus!!

It's the price you pay to live in paradise.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,340 times
Quote:
I think you read the same article I did. Police: Stallworth says warned man before impact - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns - broken link)
Even though the blood test isn't back yet, he was drinking. We just don't know if he was legally drunk or not.

Quote:
As a pilot you always have to be 5 minutes ahead of you plane or your going to get into trouble. Same goes for cars dont just be looking 2 seconds infront of you look 10-15 or even 20 seconds.
Are you a pilot? Professional or Private? I'm a private pilot myself.
Quote:

Also getting a Florida Drivers license was one of the easiest task of my life to have the right to do what might be one of the most dangerous things I do in my life!
If the test was as hard as getting a pilot's licens there'd be a lot more people on the bus. lol

Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM

436 posts, read 1,090,314 times
I thought they already came out and said he was over 0.08!?!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:09 PM

640 posts, read 1,824,475 times
Quote:
Also getting a Florida Drivers license was one of the easiest task of my life to have the right to do what might be one of the most dangerous things I do in my life! The test was just a small course park the car and thats it.
That is sad. When I did my road test around 1980 or '81 in Surfside (or North Beach?), I had a real road test, starting on Indian Creek Drive. I even had to parallel park.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Are you a pilot? Professional or Private? I'm a private pilot myself.

If the test was as hard as getting a pilot's licens there'd be a lot more people on the bus. lol
Student, I dont see myself getting a PPL for a while focused on school right now and it is nearly impossible to do GA flying near DC with all the restricted airspace. I always wanted to be a commercial pilot but the thought of all that hard work and money to maybe never make more than $70,000 did not seem too good. I still love aviation though it is a huge part of my life. And yea streets would be full of buses if it was as hard as a checkride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
That is sad. When I did my road test around 1980 or '81 in Surfside (or North Beach?), I had a real road test, starting on Indian Creek Drive. I even had to parallel park.
I did not even have to parellel park. It was a complete joke. Now that I bring this up I should talk to my local state rep and see what he has to say about that.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 AM

640 posts, read 1,824,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Browns WR Stallworth hits, kills Fla. pedestrian - NFL - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&prov=ap&type=lgns - broken link)

He didn't flee the scene. Didn't someone tell him that's not how we do things down here? I guess he figured that since he is a celebrity he would get off anyway. No charges have been filed as of this time.
Donte Stallworth is being charged with DUI manslaughter.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Donte Stallworth is being charged with DUI manslaughter.
OK, so it looks like the system is working. Now we'll see how the trial goes. No matter what the outcome it is still a sad situation. Can't a guy with that much money afford a taxi after a night of drinking?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:59 PM

177 posts, read 571,461 times
I hope the judge throws the book at him, which looks like its only 15 years in exchange for taking a life, not very fair at all. All this guy had to do was apply the brakes, instead he was in such a hurry to get back to drinking that he chose to flash his lights instead of slowing down. Just the other day some idiot in kendal i think killed a woman, this guy was drinking also and tried to cover it up by fleeing the scene and wiping the blood from his windshiled right bewfore the police arrived at his house. When are judges going to get tough with these guys and send a message that this type of disregard for human life will no longer be tolerated!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM

80 posts, read 177,300 times
I bet Stallworth wont even go to prison. He'll get some sort of deal, probably return to the NFL too. He's got money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami