Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

Miami has "muggy" summers and then the afternoon thunderstorms move in from the Everglades during the afternoon and the temps drop 10 degrees.
Washington Dc & New York City can have the same "muggy" weather in addition to "heat wave" type weather coupled with "pollution".
It's quite scary to see the "air (ala humidity + pollution) in Manhattan in August. People don't die from the "heat" (unless we are talking about our basketball team winning Championships!) in Miami!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 04:16 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
The humidity and summers here are pretty awful, but I don't agree that other areas have 2 to 3 weeks of bad weather and we have 2 to 3 weeks of good. It's a bit more than that for both. Northerners wouldn't move in droves to warmer climates if they only had to deal with bad weather for 2 to 3 weeks. The cold and dreary weather lasts for months and months the same way the summer lasts here. If only we could have a couple of extra January and February's every year!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiuser View Post
I live in Miami, let me tell you every city has bad weather time during the year. You might hate the winter in some cities, but you have to know how long is the winter last and how long last the extreme conditions. In Miami is it not only the humidity, it is the high UV radiation, which is as high as Sahara desert, because is in the same latitude. This extreme conditions high humidity and high UV radiation does not last only 2 months, It last almost the entire year!!
If you live under you have to be under A/C all the time, all 10 months of the year. You can only do outdoors activities at night, otherwise you'll get sunburn. In other cities on the TV weather report alarm when there is a high UV. Here the high UV radiation and high UV is all the time.
I do not understand how old people move to FL leaving because the very cold weather. First you cannot be without AC, almost all year, car , house, mall, etc, so your artificial weather will be cold. You cannot even walk outdoors because the humidity and UV radiation. So you have to live under the AC all day long. Now I wonder how good it is for your health. This weather is bad for people with Asthma and ENT problems.
If you living in other states you have 2-3 weeks a year of terrible winter (storms, snow, etc).
In South Florida you'll have 2-3 weeks a year of good weather (dry, you can walk outdoors).
So the comparison is not proportional in time.
You might support it, no problem, if you are a tourist visiting for 3 days. But be real if you planing to live here.
Not true Rainy Season is my Favorite time of year. Powerful afternoon thunderstorms are something I look forward to all Dry Season. The Feel of our intense sun on my skin with intense humidity is awesome. to be honest I wish our winters were warmer(no evil winter cold snaps) for me as long as it's not hotter than 95f(35c) with a dew point higher than 77f(25c) i'm fine. I actually would hate dry heat my skin get's itchy and flaky. I'll take 92f(33c) with a dew point of 75f(24c) over 108f(42c) with humidity of 5%. just can't take dry weather. Hope that helps

Old 04-21-2013, 11:28 AM

69 posts, read 92,067 times
Oppressive is the word I'd use. Endless is another. Been here for over a decade, have not gotten used to it and hate it more each year. I try my best to avoid leaving the house in the summer. "Winter" is the only time of year that is enjoyable to me in Miami, because it's much like spring in places that have seasons.

On the flip side, it makes me laugh when it goes below 65 and people are all like, "It's too cold to go outside." and are wearing scarves and gloves and ****.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetWhiteKnight View Post
On the flip side, it makes me laugh when it goes below 65 and people are all like, "It's too cold to go outside." and are wearing scarves and gloves and ****.
Ha. You just described me.
I grew up in Philly. I've been telling people I'm moving to Fl since I was 7. I live in Tampa metro, at the beach. I ***** every winter," I'm moving south"! Any high temp below 76 is entirely too cold. Don't even get me started on the nights, I freeze!
Have no idea why I am so intolerant of the cold. I cannot express how uncomfortable I am when the temps drop into the 60's.
I know, I'm a wuss.

the heat, on the other hand, does not bother me at all. It has never been Too hot to go outside, for me.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
Cant take it. Born here, never got used it.

But it beats the hell out of snow.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I agree with miamihurricane, I live in San Diego and hate the dryness. Sure the weather is nice much of the year, but sometimes it is just too chilly and dry! I don't mind humidity, and actually love the thunderstorms. I do agree that Miami's not as hot as cities like DC, Chicago or Houston in summer. Those cities are uncomfortable because it is humid and rainy, but ALSO 100F! Not so in Miami!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I can't stand humidity, give me San Diego year round perfect weather over Miamis weather Mid May through October!!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM

53 posts, read 103,452 times
People complaining for humidity in Miami should spend a season in the amazonian raiforest of Venezuela or Brazil lol, now THAT'S humid but still is cool... Miami weather is just nice and besides that everything is airconditioned.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I can't stand humidity, give me San Diego year round perfect weather over Miamis weather Mid May through October!!
San Diego is nice, but very dry. My skin is SO dry here! I also start to crave seeing all that lush greenery. Miami looks like a rainforest and sounds like one with all those tropical birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami