Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 AM

18 posts, read 38,892 times

Advertisements

I will transfer to my companies Miami office in about six weeks. Reading through the various threads on this site is really scaring and depressing me.
There really has to be some positives about living in Miami!!

My wife asked some questions some weeks ago and the responses we not
very complimentary of Miami. It seems, from many of the threads on this site recommend that you keep away from Miami.

I am Irish, not that that matters, as I have lived in the US for nearly 20 years. My wife is from NYC where we both lived and worked.

Our real concern is the education and safety of our six year old daughter. We presently live in Boston where quality of life and education are superior though the weather is really awful. We are not moving because of the truly god awful weather though South Florida weather will be a bonus. This move is purely for professional reasons

We are looking at Miami Beach and Coral Gables to live. We will rent for a year or so and then buy. We were advised that South Pointe Elementary in Miami Beach and Coral Gables Elementary are two of the highest rated elementary schools.
We are actually using the schools to determine where we will live.

I really would appreciate any other advice that would be offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 09:31 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,479,340 times
Riskiest Places For U.S. Homeowners - Yahoo! Real Estate

Old 04-12-2009, 10:23 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,297,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayaskan View Post
I will transfer to my companies Miami office in about six weeks. Reading through the various threads on this site is really scaring and depressing me.
There really has to be some positives about living in Miami!!

My wife asked some questions some weeks ago and the responses we not
very complimentary of Miami. It seems, from many of the threads on this site recommend that you keep away from Miami.

I am Irish, not that that matters, as I have lived in the US for nearly 20 years. My wife is from NYC where we both lived and worked.

Our real concern is the education and safety of our six year old daughter. We presently live in Boston where quality of life and education are superior though the weather is really awful. We are not moving because of the truly god awful weather though South Florida weather will be a bonus. This move is purely for professional reasons

We are looking at Miami Beach and Coral Gables to live. We will rent for a year or so and then buy. We were advised that South Pointe Elementary in Miami Beach and Coral Gables Elementary are two of the highest rated elementary schools.
We are actually using the schools to determine where we will live.

I really would appreciate any other advice that would be offered.
I am actually looking to move the other way (Boston is one city I'd consider). I am part Irish myself....love the city and New England in general.

Living in Miami boils down to money, I believe. If you earn enough $$$, you'll be able to live in the nicest parts, buy yourself some seclusion from the daily BS that goes on here and you'll be able to send your kids to the best schools. If you are not at least relatively well off, I would seriously suggest spending some time here first to see how you like it, before taking the plunge.

I've posted a lot of negative things about Miami, based on personal experience. There are also a fair number of positive posts, from people who like living here. Ultimately, the decision is yours....all I can say is come and visit for an extended period and see how you feel about the place. After all, one man's heaven is another man's hell (and vice-versa).

If Miami isn't your cup of tea, you should also look at Fort Lauderdale as an alternative. It's more diverse, more American and generally better organized than the chaos that is Miami-Dade County.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 AM

[quote=BCreass;8306491]I am actually looking to move the other way (Boston is one city I'd consider). I am part Irish myself....love the city and New England in general.

Living in Miami boils down to money, I believe. If you earn enough $$$, you'll be able to live in the nicest parts, buy yourself some seclusion from the daily BS that goes on here and you'll be able to send your kids to the best schools. If you are not at least relatively well off, I would seriously suggest spending some time here first to see how you like it, before taking the plunge.

I've posted a lot of negative things about Miami, based on personal experience. There are also a fair number of positive posts, from people who like living here. Ultimately, the decision is yours....all I can say is come and visit for an extended period and see how you feel about the place. After all, one man's heaven is another man's hell (and vice-versa).

If Miami isn't your cup of tea, you should also look at Fort Lauderdale as an alternative. It's more diverse, more American and generally better organized than the chaos that is Miami-Dade County.

Good luck.[/

Thanks for the advice. My brother lives in Fort Lauderdale and loves it.
My worry is the drive time to work. My office is a little west of Miami Int'l Airport.
Do you have any idea what that drive time would actually be like. My work would allow me to drive off peak times?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:52 AM

[quote=grayaskan;8306743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Thanks for the advice. My brother lives in Fort Lauderdale and loves it.
My worry is the drive time to work. My office is a little west of Miami Int'l Airport.
Do you have any idea what that drive time would actually be like. My work would allow me to drive off peak times?
Blue Lagoon, by any chance (that's where I work)?

I have a co-worker who lives in Wilton Manors (near Fort Lauderdale). He commutes every day, but leaves his home at 6am, to get in around 6:45. I get the impression (from him) that after 6:45am, traffic becomes a nightmare (I know Boston is no picnic, traffic wise). He also leaves at 4pm (on the dot) and it takes him roughly 45 minutes to an hour to get home (not bad).

One thing to bear in mind (and I tell everyone this) is that it's not traffic that is the problem in South Florida, per se....it's the drivers. I know you'll say Boston is bad too and I'd agree (to a certain extent), because I've also driven there. However, Miami drivers are in a "special' league of their own, so just take care and come prepared with a very thick skin (unfortunately, my skin isn't thick enough, which is one of the reasons why I'm leaving).

Just see how you like it...everyone is different and for you, the positives of living here could well make the negative aspects of living here more than worth putting up with.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,027,579 times
I do not know as much about the Miami Beach area,
but Coral Gables is an excellent place to live,
and Coral Gables Elementary School is a very good school.
Every place is what you make it...
You and your family will be safe and will find tons of great things to do
here and great people to do them with.

Yes, the traffic is awful in Miami and folks can be rude times,
but fortunately, it is not all the folks.

I do think the education in the Northeast cannot be beat, and Boston has some of the best schools,
but there are great opportunities and wonderful school programs here for children who do well.
Your daughter will have access to great teachers and devoted caring individuals here who will want to see her succeed as you do.

(Another great school in/near Coral Gables is Sunset Elementary,
which has wonderful curriculum, as well as Carver Elementary.)

Good luck in your move!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:11 PM

[quote=BCreass;8306798]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayaskan View Post

Blue Lagoon, by any chance (that's where I work)?

I have a co-worker who lives in Wilton Manors (near Fort Lauderdale). He commutes every day, but leaves his home at 6am, to get in around 6:45. I get the impression (from him) that after 6:45am, traffic becomes a nightmare (I know Boston is no picnic, traffic wise). He also leaves at 4pm (on the dot) and it takes him roughly 45 minutes to an hour to get home (not bad).

One thing to bear in mind (and I tell everyone this) is that it's not traffic that is the problem in South Florida, per se....it's the drivers. I know you'll say Boston is bad too and I'd agree (to a certain extent), because I've also driven there. However, Miami drivers are in a "special' league of their own, so just take care and come prepared with a very thick skin (unfortunately, my skin isn't thick enough, which is one of the reasons why I'm leaving).

Just see how you like it...everyone is different and for you, the positives of living here could well make the negative aspects of living here more than worth putting up with.

My office is in the Vanderbilt Park area between NW 25th and NW 36th streets.
I am intrigued about the” Special Drivers" in Miami. Can anyone elaborate?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 PM

[quote=grayaskan;8307655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post

My office is in the Vanderbilt Park area between NW 25th and NW 36th streets.
I am intrigued about the” Special Drivers" in Miami. Can anyone elaborate?
I'd be glad to fill you in on the driving situation here, but I'll probably get blasted for it, but here goes:

Having lived/driven in many other cities here in the US and in the UK & mainland Europe, I can honestly (hand on heart) tell you that in my own personal experience, drivers in Miami are by far the worst I've ever encountered.

It goes beyond the fact that "Miami is a big city and drivers are *******s in all big cities"....this is next level stuff. Drivers here are not only downright reckless, but they're generally dumber than a box of rocks and having lived here for over 6 years, I am still astonished by the examples of horrible driving I see on a daily basis.

The problems stem from the fact that 1) the police & officials do little to combat the problem, 2) the driving test is WAY too easy, 3) drunk-driving is a big problem here and finally, 4) the whole "macho" culture down here, which makes Nascar style driving cool.

So my biggest peeves here are:

- Tailgating (even if I'm doing 75-80mph)
- Constant weaving in/out of lanes
- People who drive either extremely fast, or extremely slow, in any lane (no middle ground/safe speed)
- Being cut off, often for no reason
- Drivers who decide to exit right at the last minute, cutting across 3+ lanes
- Drivers who have no concept that the solid white line means DO NOT CROSS
- Red light running (huge problem down here)
- Ridiculous speeding, people driving as fast as 70-80mph in a 45mph zone
- Too many "hit and runs" (drivers who think it's OK to mow down a pedestrian, then drive off)
- Drivers who use their cell phones/text while on the expressway
- Macho pickup truck drivers driving like crazy in their Ford F150s or Dodge Rams, as if they were small/maneuverable cars.
- DUI drivers, many of whom aren't punished enough severely the first, second or twentieth time.
- Uninsured drivers, many of whom don't even have a license!

These are my biggest peeves. It's true that you see a lot of the above in all major metropolitan areas, but it's a lot more noticeable and a lot more severe here in Miami. Unfortunately, there has been little effort to stamp out this problem, by way of tougher sentences and tougher policing.

What irks me the most is that there's often no reason for this behavior and many people here do it just because they can, or to f**k with you.

The drivers here are one of the reasons why I want to leave. I guess if I enjoyed living in Miami, I'd be more inclined to put up with it, but I don't have the patience.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times
Hey, I love it here!!! Don't listen to all these negative nancies

Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,918,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Hey, I love it here!!! Don't listen to all these negative nancies

It's really unfair to advise a professional working husband and father when not disclosing that you're a single college student from out of state doncha think?

Not to mention only being here for how long? 7 months?

Do you have a car in Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami