Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 32,730 times

Advertisements

Alright, we have begun our preps for moving to Miami this summer. I'm heading down in June to look for a rental home. My wife will be working in downtown Miami (I'm retired).

Basically we've been looking at rentals online in Kendall and Pembroke Pines. Obviously Pembroke Pines is a longer commute but based on ratings it appears the schools might be better. We have two elementary school age kids.

Do the schools/area of PP out weigh the longer commute? Also, how's that metrorail train? Is it full of fruit cakes or do normal people use the thing? Just looking for options in terms of the commute.

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,829 times
Kendall, Kendall, Kendall. I am from the area and it is a much more established suburb than Pembroke Pines. Much of Pembroke Pines is very sterile and cookie-cutter; Kendall at least has some personality in parts. There are some very high-end areas in Kendall, some upper-middle class areas, and many middle class areas. Virtually all of Kendall is nice, safe, and well-kept, and as you know, it is closer to Miami than Pembroke Pines. Many people from Broward say that schools are better in Pembroke Pines than in Kendall, but I must point out that there are some very well-regarded schools in Kendall, especially in east and central Kendall. If you live in east Kendall near Dadeland, the metrorail will bring you downtown in 15 minutes. It is very convenient and many UM students, professors, and professionals working in Brickell and downtown take the MetroRail every morning and afternoon. Honestly, east Kendall sounds ideal for you, and in my opinion it offers a much higher quality of life than far-away, cookie-cutter Pembroke Pines.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,758 times
Ditto!
I say Kendall,
definitely East Kendall (East of SW 117 Avenue).

Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 PM

35 posts, read 98,221 times
I lived in Pembroke Pines & it's great for families. You can take the tri-rail from Hollywood into Miami Dade. The schools are known to be very good, it seems that every community has a school within walking distance. I have a property in Pines which I rent out & my tenants have always been people that have been transferred to South Florida. They have all loved the area.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Tough choice, as they are both acutally more similar than different. The elementary schools in particular might actually be better in (east) Kendall, middle and high schools about the same, but Pines overall is cleaner and less congested, however I think east Kendall in particular is nicer on the eyes. Pines is still congested, though. If you are going to move up to Broward add Weston, Cooper City, most of Davie, or WEST Pembroke Pines and add west Miramar too (north of Pines Blvd, west of Dykes Rd, not that there is anything wrong with it south but I like Miramar better if you are looking south).

Basically with your criteria, I would rank it something like this

#1 Weston
#2 Cooper City
#3 Davie (west of University Dr)
#4 East Kendall
#5 West Miramar
#6 West Pines
#6 (tie) west Kendall
#7 the rest of Pembroke Pines

Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,058 times
If you want to avoid driving in a parking lot every day at every hour of the day avoid west kendall at all costs. East Kendall is better but you'll deal with traffic on US 1 during rush hour and weekends so the rail is your best bet.

Pembroke Pines is more laid back with more of a suburbia feel to it but you'll get mall traffic on the weekends. I'd go with West Miramar between the 3. Less traffic, crime, and congestion.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:39 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ruger View Post

Basically we've been looking at rentals online in Kendall and Pembroke Pines. Obviously Pembroke Pines is a longer commute but based on ratings it appears the schools might be better.

Of course they're better. Pembroke Pines is farther away from the ghetto/no speakie English epicenter to the South. 1 + 1 = 2

Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,831 times
But some people call Pembroke Pines the "new Hialeah".
I just heard it, last time I was in Pembroke Pines there were only Florida Pines.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 32,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
If you want to avoid driving in a parking lot every day at every hour of the day avoid west kendall at all costs. East Kendall is better but you'll deal with traffic on US 1 during rush hour and weekends so the rail is your best bet.

Pembroke Pines is more laid back with more of a suburbia feel to it but you'll get mall traffic on the weekends. I'd go with West Miramar between the 3. Less traffic, crime, and congestion.

What defines east Kendall from west Kendall? Hwy 1? Palmetto Exp? FL Turnpike?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Of course they're better. Pembroke Pines is farther away from the ghetto/no speakie English epicenter to the South. 1 + 1 = 2
Doral in Dade County has even more non-Hispanics than Pembroke Pines yet they schools rate better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
But some people call Pembroke Pines the "new Hialeah".
I just heard it, last time I was in Pembroke Pines there were only Florida Pines.
Pembroke Pines looks nothing like Hialeah and it is much easier to navigate. It is more suburban and higher income (middle class) than Hialeah, which is mostly immigrant working class/industrial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami