Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times

Advertisements

I remember International House of Pancakes and Mister Donut on the zayre side. There was a Sears catalog store next to the Publix. There was a Chinese restaurant I remember from my childhood days going to the doctor's office on the other side of 87 ave. There was a Lums nearby if I remember correctly. Westchester Center was a place my parents shopped at a lot, and it has been sad to see it decline and all but gone. You would have had to see the Publix Market in it's heyday, with it's flashy neon, tile murals and extra clean interior By the 80's they were determined to destroy every one of them, the last being lost in sunniland in 1998.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 PM

253 posts, read 434,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I remember International House of Pancakes and Mister Donut on the zayre side. There was a Sears catalog store next to the Publix. There was a Chinese restaurant I remember from my childhood days going to the doctor's office on the other side of 87 ave. There was a Lums nearby if I remember correctly. Westchester Center was a place my parents shopped at a lot, and it has been sad to see it decline and all but gone. You would have had to see the Publix Market in it's heyday, with it's flashy neon, tile murals and extra clean interior By the 80's they were determined to destroy every one of them, the last being lost in sunniland in 1998.
I remember almost everything you named. Lums was across Coral Way, in roughly the middle of the wing facing west. I always had the Lumburger, which was like a sloppy joe. Around the corner was a movie theater, where my family saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail on opening night in '75. They handed out coconuts to the first people in line, to accompany the spoof in the opening scene.

My sister remembers the burger joint but we've never come up with the name. It wasn't a chain but it looked and acted like one.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 PM

253 posts, read 434,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I don't remember that burger place. I grew up there and used to ride my bike to Westchester mall too. I do remember Snak Shack in the mall though. Loved to get a slice of pizza and a fruit punch!
The burger joint was in the building now occupied by Miami Subs. I drove past that area today to get a look at the sprouting Walmart, oh joy.

I didn't realize the Walmart would face Coral Way. I envisioned it facing west, like the Kmart. This makes more sense but it still seemed overly cramped.

Overall the entire scene is depressing. The IHOP has been painted a pathetic color and is now called LaBamba, or something equally absurd. The mall on the north side of Coral Way still needs a facelift and is flooded with tightly fit businesses that blend together. It was mere hours ago but I remember a Ross and nothing else.

I just realized the enclosed mall near the Kmart must be gone. I spent one amusing hour per month in that mall during 7th and 8th grade. My orthodontist's office was there, two young guys early in their career and clearly loving it. They dressed '70s loud, talked the latest movies, kidded with the patients, and flirted with their young female assistants. It was such a different atmosphere than my stuffy dentist and his brush-or-else threats. Gad, based on the calendar I just realized the two orthodontists have likely retired.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,636 times
I already miss the Westchester Mall, .

Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 PM

399 posts, read 719,453 times
I lived in the Westchester area in the early to late 90's. The movie theatre mentioned was not there. I remember Westchester Mall. The K-Mart. Lionel Playworld was still there when I first moved into that area. I used to visit a bookstore that was in that same area. Things change..looks for the worst. All the cool things are gone.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
I lived in the Westchester area in the early to late 90's. The movie theatre mentioned was not there. I remember Westchester Mall. The K-Mart. Lionel Playworld was still there when I first moved into that area. I used to visit a bookstore that was in that same area. Things change..looks for the worst. All the cool things are gone.
I knew i forgot something else on that shopping center .

Good memories.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,003 times
Can any one post pictures of the Walmart construction? Thanks!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
This will be our 9th Walmart. And Broward is also full of Walmarts too. Walmart must be making a lot of money if they are building another store 2 minutes away from another location.

The traffic there is already bad, this is terrible for those who live around the area

On a positive note, their stores are so big, many Miamiams will get their weekly workout by walking from the detergent isle to the grocery area. They will also get an endurance workout by carrying 5 pounds of high fructose corn syrup which they will buy for $1 or $2.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:39 AM

Agreed, Coral Way is terrible especially during school hours.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 PM

96 posts, read 210,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marimar111 View Post
I ont know how this got approved by zoning or why there was not a zoning hearing, for now it will be open till 10: pm but they soon after may have a hearing to open 24 hour and the argument will be the walgreens and cvs are open too. I cant believe zoning as strick as they are in this area were people need permits for EVERYTHING gave them a green light, I wonder how much money it took to buy this permit. the traffic and the streets is not appropiate for the 18 wheelers that will be entering the zone, all the u turns involve in entering the publix, alone in an area with alot of eldery will be westchesters worst nightmare.

It *HAS TO BE* I've never seen a Super Walmart that wasn't 24 hours. There's no way they would allow it, it's part of the efficiency to Walmart's system.

I would welcome a Super Walmart in the area. The closest one is in Hialeah and I know people that drive weekly there from Westchester or Coral Gables area to do their shopping because they say it saves them money. While I agree that something needs to be done about the traffic congestion in this area, stiffing development is not the way to do it, that will only backfire. Also think of the big picture, traffic that is going to the further NW 12th St and Hialeah locations can travel a shorter distance and visit the Coral Way WalMart. So allow the WalMart and tell your commissioners to get off their *****es and fix the roads. If a new store opening is a tipping point, what makes you think if the store isn't built the roads won't be saturated anyways in a year? five years? If our elected officials would do something for once they could plan, build and maintain the critical infrastructure that's needed in a metropolis like Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami