Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Crisp

This is the Habana Vieja, the old town, the area they are refurbishing since most was in ruins.
Most of the material for the reconstruction comes from Spain, of course, but the Mad one wants to buy the stuff in Venezuela, Venezuela doesn't have any materials.
This street here resembles Barcelona a lot.
I am very glad to hear that, and yes, it looks like Valencia or Barcelona!! I guess you would have to start thread about Cuba in the "world" forum because I have a feeling the moderators will delete a thread about Cuba if it is in the Miami forum.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:33 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
I have been in Miami for a long time, particularly West Kendall. Whether West Kendall is ghetto or not, I guess it depends where in West Kendall and also a matter of perspective.

I will state this though, West kendall in 2009 is VERY DIFFERENT than West Kendall in 1989 (20 years ago).

West Kendall in the 80's was considered a VERY GOOD AREA in the county with VERY LOW CRIME RATE. The people, the level of service, traffic, peoples general demeanor, all was much better then.

Now, the majority of residents are hispanics compared to the 80's (nothing against hispanic, I am one too). However, now you have many hispanics who are unwilling or not capable of speaking English at business establishments. It is gradually becoming LITTLE HAVANA.

Now a days you see more and more kids dressing ghetto in West Kendall and have that "Gangsta" look where it was definitely not the norm 20 years ago.

You also see many kids using the "N" word and lots of profanity like you do in the inner cities and in the ghetto. Heck, you even hear them speak like that when they are working during their shifts in Mcdonalds and BK.

It is very sad that not only has it become the norm but accepted by people and even managers who supervise these teens at work sites. I do not even want to imagine what it would be like 20 years from now.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I agree - that's a beautiful old building. Did Miami ever have buildings like that? The city hall in Coral Gables looks fairly old (by Miami standards), but there isn't much here over 30 years old.
There used to be a few building like that, even some homes. I can think of one that used to be in King's Bay, a relic from the early days of old cutler road. Unfortunately drug money in the 80's bought it, bulldozed it and installed a gated community of fakes. Coral Gables was an emulation of those Spanish style buildings so a few were built there, including the city hall. Most of Miami was middle class or poor, so buildings tend to be modest. Also modern architecture was firmly in place by the 30's so only banks and some post offices, curches and courthouses got stone faced construction. Most have been demolishedm or remodeled to be disgusting. A few have been restored including the Miami courthouse which is a true gem in a sea of bland.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
There used to be a few building like that, even some homes. I can think of one that used to be in King's Bay, a relic from the early days of old cutler road. Unfortunately drug money in the 80's bought it, bulldozed it and installed a gated community of fakes. Coral Gables was an emulation of those Spanish style buildings so a few were built there, including the city hall. Most of Miami was middle class or poor, so buildings tend to be modest. Also modern architecture was firmly in place by the 30's so only banks and some post offices, curches and courthouses got stone faced construction. Most have been demolishedm or remodeled to be disgusting. A few have been restored including the Miami courthouse which is a true gem in a sea of bland.
That's a shame really. I know Miami isn't exactly an old city, but it has either neglected or destroyed the historical buildings that it had/has to make way for ugliness.

I'm glad the Biltmore Hotel was saved though. You're right about the Miami courthouse too -- that building is indeed an architectural gem, sitting in an ocean of ugliness.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
All too often it seems that safe, well-kept areas of Miami-Dade are called "ghetto," "dirty," "third-world," and "run-down" - all of which are usually reserved to describe undesirable areas. I've put together a series of Street View images to show these areas in a different light. Please feel free to respond with comments and other images.

*snip for brevity*
So please explain to me what these "no speakie" people do for a living in the United States that affords them the opportunity (and salary) to live in these houses. I'd be quite interested in finding this out.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So please explain to me what these "no speakie" people do for a living in the United States that affords them the opportunity (and salary) to live in these houses. I'd be quite interested in finding this out.

20yrsinBranson
The great majority of people living in those houses DO speak English. Many of them are Cubans who have been here for almost fifty years, some are Cuban-Americans who may not even speak Spanish well, some are South Americans who came to the US with money, and some are non-Hispanic white Americans and Europeans. The title of this thread is a parody!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:26 PM

More of the "no speakie English" ghetto

Doral: miami fl - Google Maps

miami fl - Google Maps

Tamiami: miami fl - Google Maps

miami fl - Google Maps

West Kendall: miami fl - Google Maps

miami fl - Google Maps

Westwood Lakes: miami fl - Google Maps

miami fl - Google Maps

University Park: miami fl - Google Maps

miami fl - Google Maps

Country Club: miami fl - Google Maps

miami fl - Google Maps

Olympia Heights: miami fl - Google Maps

miami fl - Google Maps

Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Well are you planning to move down here that you sound so "interested"?? I hope not.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 AM

176 posts, read 646,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
All too often it seems that safe, well-kept areas of Miami-Dade are called "ghetto," "dirty," "third-world," and "run-down" - all of which are usually reserved to describe undesirable areas. I've put together a series of Street View images to show these areas in a different light. Please feel free to respond with comments and other images.

Kendall
(Hammocks) miami fl - Google Maps

(Crossings) miami fl - Google Maps

(Kendale Lakes) miami fl - Google Maps

(Central) miami fl - Google Maps

Westchester miami fl - Google Maps

Coral Terrace miami fl - Google Maps

Ludlam miami fl - Google Maps

West Miami miami fl - Google Maps

Tamiami miami fl - Google Maps

Miami Springs miami fl - Google Maps

Hialeah
(North) miami fl - Google Maps

(West) miami fl - Google Maps

Hialeah Gardens miami fl - Google Maps

Palm Springs North miami fl - Google Maps

The Roads miami fl - Google Maps

Coral Way miami fl - Google Maps
Third one down is VERY CLOSE to where I live....for all intents and purposes taken over since after Andrew yet still containing a shred of white anglo's..many either penny pinching jews or blue hairs who are dying off and complain regularly about still being here. From the perspective of a wannabe gangster who is seeking his ivory tower yet is petrified at the sound of his mother's chancletas it is paradise incarnate......ever since the smash and grab of 1987, purportedly an "inside job", we have not had any incidents worth noting....in the mid to late 80's kendale lakes was mainly a smattering of white NY'ers and some of the kids found trouble through drugs....a problem still existing there today obviously, however there seems to be an increased degree of vigilance and the income level of the homebuyers increased considerably since the last wave of working stiffs migrated to the magical borough of broward....if the term "ghetto" were to be extrapolated and used in its modern-day flavor and context (in the USA) as the part of town with the most crack deals, child molesters, and shootouts per city block, most of west kendall with the exception of apt row on 80 st and 152 ave would be excluded. Those who fall out in West Kendall (when one faces police ejection, not in any Wisteria lane/ Desperate Housewives context) must find an apartment on 200 st or a duplex in Allapattah to hit the rack in....Truthfully, the word "ghetto" has been stretched and pulled quite considerably out of proportion; we as Americans can attribute the phenomenon to the popularity of the internet and multimedia cellular phone devices that make accessing a kanye west album a more simpler task than, WTF, putting your hand behind your back and engaging in a cat-like stretch. "The media [really] is the massage" and one can only guess what the qualifiers of "ghetto" or "ghetto fabulous" (if there is such a thing) will be in 5 or 10 years time. BTW I think dealing with or driving through Kendall is a process worse than gargling drain-o (I love the Soprano's, if you didn't catch that) and yet I still do not think it is the ghetto...I hope this doesn't polarize the forum even more so

Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The lowest class people, Cubans or otherwise eradicate all trees other than sickly palms. It boggles my mind as they expose their yard and then build illegal additions, house tenants in sheds, etc. My parents house has two of these homes filled with dirtbags who complain about trees and called Team Metro. Yet they had illegal multi-family units, chickens, substandard illegal additions, business at home (one had a hair salon). I had to really push Team Metro to do anything but in the end they cleaned up the violations for a while. Now the illegal stuff is back and I am waiting to see if those idiots stir up trouble again.

Go to a more affluent area and see how many trees are there. A friend who is a realtor judges an area by how green the grass is and how much tree cover there is.
Sort of correct... I think an older, established neighborhood which is affluent will be more tree lined and lushly landscaped than an affluent yet relatively new place.
I must say I have lived in my home for 10 years in Hialeah, and all my neighbors have complained about my gigantic oak tree; the leaves, the potential for damage, etc. However, not one of them minds sitting under the delicious shade.
The truth is nothing is worse than seeing a concrete front yard, a scraggly palm tree, and a tin roof carport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami