Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times

Advertisements

Found this -----> link (http://www.greatermiami.com/pdfs/chamber_in_action/CoC_Roadmap_to_Successmtg_090210FINAL.pdf - broken link) on the web and thought it would be interesting to get everyone's take. I think its a decent idea. I don't like that they are planning to build yet another mode of mass transit (a street car) instead of expanding what is already there (metromover) and start charging to ride it! Also, they seem to want to build far more garages than I think is necessary. build key garages near mass transit and let people take that or walk around downtown. the increased foot traffic would help the local businesses! Also, they are planning a farmers market (good stuff). Anyway, look forward to seeing other people's take on it. I will add other links for the parks if I can find them.

*edit*

Bicentennial Park master plan -----> link (spoke about in the main master plan but not in depth)

Another good visual with Bayfront Park plan included -----> link

Flagler Street master plan ------> link (http://www.greatermiami.com/pdfs/A%20DiscussionAboutFlaglerStreet.pdf - broken link) (a little bit of cool history thrown in there too)

Last edited by Wild Style; 07-17-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
That was interesting great link, as many of the things people here on CD have said are in that plan. If they can do many of these things, that would be wonderful. If they make a Fisherman's Wharf that would be really cool, it needs to be air conditioned though...Yet there isn't a plan for the metrorail in this whole thing. They really need to work on that part. At least connect it to the airport and Miami Beach. They still want that expensive tunnel too, crazy.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 AM

doggie

they want to build a light rail system instead of expanding the metrorail. I don't understand why they would do that?! That is absurd to me, why would you abandon the one good mass transit thing you have going and build ANOTHER boondoggle.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 AM

40 posts, read 169,568 times
They really need to get over that tunnel, and focus on making a lot of that other stuff happen. I also don't see that "revitilization" of Overtown happening any time soon, and until they can accomplish that, a lot of the other issues that plague Downtown today will remain. Unfortunately, with all the money issues the city seems to be going through, I'm not exactly sure how they can fund this.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
doggie

they want to build a light rail system instead of expanding the metrorail. I don't understand why they would do that?! That is absurd to me, why would you abandon the one good mass transit thing you have going and build ANOTHER boondoggle.
what do you mean by a light rail system? Like the metromover? Maybe it's not such a bad idea as long as it's not another separate busway like the one south of dadeland(what a waste of money). They should probably build another train that intersects with metrorail that goes from Miami beach to the airport and through doral(41 st)

Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unradical View Post
They really need to get over that tunnel, and focus on making a lot of that other stuff happen. I also don't see that "revitilization" of Overtown happening any time soon, and until they can accomplish that, a lot of the other issues that plague Downtown today will remain. Unfortunately, with all the money issues the city seems to be going through, I'm not exactly sure how they can fund this.
Obama and Biden are already making the rounds to drum up support and a list for projects for a second stimulus package. Florida is already planning to make a grab for money to build a bullet train. So I can see them getting the money. As for the tunnel, I saw the over all picture, where they will take away the over pass of I 395 (thats the one that leads out to S. Beach from 95 right?) and bury it under ground. I understand why they want to do it though. Makes neighorhoods contingues and I think they want to build a green way. They are aiming for more walkability in the urban core. It honestly isnt to bad a idea.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
what do you mean by a light rail system? Like the metromover? Maybe it's not such a bad idea as long as it's not another separate busway like the one south of dadeland(what a waste of money). They should probably build another train that intersects with metrorail that goes from Miami beach to the airport and through doral(41 st)
lightrail system <---- click

You have seen these before I am sure. They are big in Europe. Not a bad idea but why not expand what you already have? Having four or five different mass transit systems is confusing and integration isn't as simple as it should be when you do that. I am all for metrorail and think they should just build more lines, ones that go all over the urban core. not a light rail system with its absurd wires over head and its on the street with cars, even more congestion. metrorail is elevated, much better option (in my opinion)

Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
lightrail system <---- click
I agree that won't work, I thought it was some kind of elevated transportation system.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
I just heard today that the County Commissioners now want to make the busway that connects the Metrorail in Kendall to Homestead, a toll lane calling it the Lexus Lane. People could pay upwards of $12-$13 at peak hours. Not sure how they can do this... I swear these lanes should be left for the buses and the emergency vehicles.

HOMESTEAD IS HOME: "Lexus Lanes" May Come South Dade

Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,544 times
HAHAHA What a joke!!! With what money are they planning to build all these structures? and who in their right mind would walk these "famous" boulevards when it is 115 degress outside and the homeless and criminals are hiding in every corner!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami