Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,810,811 times

Advertisements

As of now miami beach is underwater. The roads there are horrible, and a little rain turns them back to the mangrove swamp from which they came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 03:18 PM

402 posts, read 1,023,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
As of now miami beach is underwater. The roads there are horrible, and a little rain turns them back to the mangrove swamp from which they came.
That's not a deal breaker to me. Every area has something like this that you don't expect. When I lived in Washington, it was black ice on the hills during the winter. In Sacramento, it's allergies beyond belief.

That's just life.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,512,433 times
After watching the news yesterday, I wouldn't park in an underground parking lot in the rainy season in South Beach. Some cars totally submerged, and many flooded cars. This happens at least once a year on Miami Beach. I sure hope the city does something to help these poor people, with the drainage issues. It took people 3 hrs to get to Miami Beach from downtown Miami last night, which usually takes 5 minutes, crazy.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 AM

20 posts, read 44,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post
That's not a deal breaker to me. Every area has something like this that you don't expect. When I lived in Washington, it was black ice on the hills during the winter. In Sacramento, it's allergies beyond belief.

That's just life.
I have lived in Miami 40 years and I HATE it..now..
I LOVED it when I was younger. WHile I would warn young families to stay the heck away, your situation is much different.. you NEEED MIAMI!!! I would not trade the experiences that I could only have had here for ANYTHING (Miami in the 80's... Miami Vice ring a bell.. lol)
If you have a degree and you dont want the burden of a serious job, you can substitute for Dade schools for 100 a day. and still be out of work in time to hang on the beach, and if you don't want to work one day, you don't/ You sound a lot like I did when I graduated college.. burned out, you want to unwind a little before.. "THE REST OF YOUR LIFE HAPPENS"
There are accounting jobs out there, and you can get good prices on houses (taxes and Ins will KILL YOU though) But it sounds like you just want a 2 or 3 yar party before you settle. Getting an accounting job would mean late nights, commutes, responsibilities.
ew.
Get a place on Alton Road. It's a bit cheaper.. you're young.. you can walk, and you can get parking where you live there. Substitute teach.. you make 100 a day.. and you dont have to wait table and come home smelling like food, you choose the days you work, all weekends and holidays off. If you like it, since you have a BA/BS you can teach in Dade Schools for 2 years with a temporay certification and get full teacher's pay and benefits (free medical) no weekends, no holidays. You would start at 37K year (for 10 months of work).
This place is a NON-STOP Party for someone your age and with money in the bank.. sheesh! An you said you liked Latin Women... Check out Subbing in schools, nice way to meet single educated ladies =) in a nice non-threatening atmosphere. ANd I speak from experience.. Teachers are PARTIERS!!! Get married to a teacher, you "might" be able to afford to stay in Miami.
Once you are married and children.. get-the-f-out!!
While this place is Party Central. I wouldnt raise a family here, unless you can send them to private school, or home school.
Good Luck
D

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,250,466 times
I live in South Beach and have been there almost 8 years. I LOVE IT. I have to admit that I split my time 80/20 with Raleigh, North Carolina. Frankly, my time in Raleigh gives me balance. I am a single professional whose job is international and based in California. So, I telecommute on West Coast time. This means I can sleep in every day and stay up late every night. I think it's perfect.
Miami Beach is a very late city. People get up late, they eat lunch and dinner late and they go out very late at night. In that way, it's very much influenced by the latin cultures and Europe. I agree with an earlier post that South Beach is like a little slice of Manhattan in the tropics. But, you can rent a kayak and go out on the Bay and leave it all behind. If I were you, I'd take the plunge and enjoy the experience and grab life by the ...well...you know what! You are only young once.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,320 times
So did you ever move to SOBE ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami