Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do residents of Miami consider Miami to be a Southern city?
Yes 7 15.22%
No 39 84.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:11 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
After the AA exodus to Houston after Katrina, I've heard there is plenty, along with a brand new crime rate.
Nah, it's calmed down alot. When you take 150,000 people with many of those having a criminal element and you place them on a different city of their own, you're asking for trouble. The crime rate shot up in alot of cities that had Katrina evacuees. Atlanta's crime went up. Even Baton Rouge. But many of them have moved back and Houston is back to what it was pre-Katrina.

But yeah, lol, I should have left out Dallas. It's still pretty much a segregated city by race and by class. I've visited Atlanta many times but not enough time to explore so I don't know. BTW, Hallandale is nice. Unlike the areas bordering Miami Gardens in the infamous city called Miramar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 PM

61 posts, read 179,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Keep in mind that I'm only talking about people that I know in Miami in regards to family and friends and the trends that I see in the various neighborhoods I actually lived and visited in while in the Miami area.

1. Because most of the hip hop that Miamians listen to are either from Florida itself or they are from the South. If you listen to any of the pirate radio stations throughout South Florida, that's all they play. Rarely do they play any hip hop from the East Coast because many Miamians do not care for East Coast Hip Hop. Again, Trick daddy, Rick Ross, Trina, all of them refer to themselves as Southerners.

2. I don't think you will find donks in white neighborhoods (or even Hispanic neighborhoods) as much as you will find them in the black neighborhoods. At least I never have. I didn't say that only blacks drive these type of cars anyway. Where do you come off calling anything about that ignorant anyway? Now I don't know much about Hialeah. But I do know they fix up the cars and do the same things in other parts of the South as they do in Miami Gardens and Opa Locka.

3. Again, I did not post my post to make it seem like all of the Blacks do the things I was talking about. But I know a great many down in the Miami area and I don't see any amount of difference between them and blacks in Atlanta.

I believe you have the most accurate description. The only "South" Left in Miami is strictly applied to the only actual Americans left in Miami, which are African Americans, and yes, they are definitely "South". Moderator cut: Offensive

The hip hop culture is huge in Miami, and all of the races that the rest of the United States would deem as "minority" races are all mostly into Hip Hop, so this dominates through and through in the culture.

Of course this is a generalization, as Miami has a population of two plus million people. Then again, in what pop youth culture do you not find Hip Hop and Rap taking over as mainstream?

So mostly it is Hispanic Culture mixed with Southern Black Culture.

All the white people have long since fled to the northern parts of Florida, and unfortunately a lot of the Hispanic youth ends up adopting the cultural identity of the Hip Hop African American community. This is especially true of the Cuban second or third generation Community. Which is sad, not because I particularly have anything against the African American Community or the "hip hop" culture, but only because a lot of the Hispanic's seeking to adapt to "US" culture mistakenly believe that what is present in Miami as culture is "US" Culture, and undeniably the African American Southern culture is part of the US Culture, but it is not by totality, it is only Black Southern Culture.

Who grew up in the 80's in Miami and didn't listen to Two Live Crew?
"im like a freak without warning"<bass, bass, bass, and more bass>.

Now when I talk on the phone I'm the guy saying "I can't hear you", while the other person shouts "can you hear me now?"

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-21-2009 at 07:49 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Miami is so far south you have to go north to hear a southern accent.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:25 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,388 times
Lcstyle

Sorry, I don't think that second or third generation Cubans hear or copy black music or consider that music as part of American mainstream culture. I don't think that they ever mimicked Anglos that once lived Dade, such group was considered as a group of alien, extremely backward and dangerous people. I remember that back in the 70's they used to burn trash cans, plant burning crosses, burn cars and kill dogs and cats of Cubans moving to new neighbourhoods. They went out and Real Estate went up tremendously.

You're probably referring to that nefarious music called "Cubatón" or "Raggaeton", born in Puerto Rico and with a high predicament in Cuba, and popular among recent arrivals.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-21-2009 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-21-2009, 08:45 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcstyle View Post
I believe you have the most accurate description. The only "South" Left in Miami is strictly applied to the only actual Americans left in Miami, which are African Americans, and yes, they are definitely "South". Moderator cut: Offensive

The hip hop culture is huge in Miami, and all of the races that the rest of the United States would deem as "minority" races are all mostly into Hip Hop, so this dominates through and through in the culture.

Of course this is a generalization, as Miami has a population of two plus million people. Then again, in what pop youth culture do you not find Hip Hop and Rap taking over as mainstream?

So mostly it is Hispanic Culture mixed with Southern Black Culture.

All the white people have long since fled to the northern parts of Florida, and unfortunately a lot of the Hispanic youth ends up adopting the cultural identity of the Hip Hop African American community. This is especially true of the Cuban second or third generation Community. Which is sad, not because I particularly have anything against the African American Community or the "hip hop" culture, but only because a lot of the Hispanic's seeking to adapt to "US" culture mistakenly believe that what is present in Miami as culture is "US" Culture, and undeniably the African American Southern culture is part of the US Culture, but it is not by totality, it is only Black Southern Culture.

Who grew up in the 80's in Miami and didn't listen to Two Live Crew?
"im like a freak without warning"<bass, bass, bass, and more bass>.

Now when I talk on the phone I'm the guy saying "I can't hear you", while the other person shouts "can you hear me now?"
not complete true. in miami the black culture has influenced the cuban culture and vice versa. it is a perfectly natural thing that has been going on since differing cultures came into contact. in my opinion it is a beautiful thing.

also inaccurate is this statement
Quote:
All the white people have long since fled to the northern parts of Florida
a good many of us still remain, still love miami and will never leave.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 AM

572 posts, read 1,871,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Miami is so far south you have to go north to hear a southern accent.
You can go to Liberty City and hear a southern accent.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Not expressly Southern, but 'Old Miami' certainly has some vestiges of "Southerness". Miami circa 1960 was very Southern.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:36 AM

45 posts, read 171,610 times
Who ever said African Americans were the only true "southerners" in Miami Dade County?

What about Hispanics?

Have you guys ever stopped and think that there are hispanics in Miami that have lived here for many generations and have fully integrated themselves into the US customs, speak only english and really do consider themselves southern in many respects (their cooking, the music they listen to, etc..)im not saying they are the majority but like I said earlier, parts of the county really do feel southern and I AM NOT ONLY TALKING ABOUT THE AFRICAN AMERICAN NEIGHBORHOODS.

South Miami, Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, Homestead, Florida City are all areas that feel quite Southern in my opinion. many of the houses in these areas (especially the old mansions of Coral Gables) resemble the southern culture. WHAT is even more interesting is unlike most ppl in this thread saying African American neighborhoods are the only southern areas of Miami, these neighborhoods (with exception to two of em) are predominantly white neighborhoods.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:59 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,388 times
Ac

I just read that there were 30.000 Cubans living in Miami in 1955. Most in Riverside and Shenandoa (Calle Ocho-Little Havana). There was also a development called Westmoreland Park that was inhabited almost exclusively by Cubans built during the 40's and 50's.

Quite interesting book. The Tower Cinema was a Chapter of the KKK.

As to the ones complaining about Spanish tiles and stucco in Miami, the style was introduced during the 30's in the Shenandoah and Riverside areas. The style was calle Spanish Renaissance, afterwards came Art Deco.

The name of the book is Little Havana, by Paul S. George.

Last edited by Leovigildo; 06-21-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post

I remember that back in the 70's they used to burn trash cans, plant burning crosses, burn cars and kill dogs and cats of Cubans moving to new neighbourhoods.
You would think that Whites would have caused Cuban flight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
They went out and Real Estate went up tremendously.
Incorporation saved many historic, classy, Anlgo-dominated areas from becoming complete slums, like much of South, Central, and West Dade. Concrete walls and guard gates helped some unincorporated areas, but even nowadays, walls and guard gates surround some of the most undesirable communities in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami