Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 AM

549 posts, read 1,664,976 times

Advertisements

Story: Turnaround strategy brings FCAT success at Central High - School on the Brink - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/1493/story/1104274.html - broken link)

"Miami Central Senior High, the recipient of five straight Fs, improved its grade to a D, propelling it off the state list of failing schools." ... ''This is an extraordinary achievement and other schools can learn from it,'' ...
''All of the ingredients of success came together,'' said Carvalho, the superintendent."

Ohh my god! (take a look at the photos, they are hilarious)

Miami Central High Principal Doug Rodriguez celebrating his outstanding achievement ...

Pathetic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 05:53 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,248 times
wow..... just wow. so a 20% improvement in one year is pathetic to you? do you know the neighborhood that miami central senior high serves? do you understand the pressures facing those kids daily? can you empathasize with the underpaid and overworked educators serving that community?

what sort of human being are you eduardo983?

congratulations to the hardworking staff at miami central senior highschool on their hard fought victory, may it continue.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:51 PM

49 posts, read 172,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
wow..... just wow. so a 20% improvement in one year is pathetic to you? do you know the neighborhood that miami central senior high serves? do you understand the pressures facing those kids daily? can you empathasize with the underpaid and overworked educators serving that community?

congratulations to the hardworking staff at miami central senior highschool on their hard fought victory, may it continue.
I read in the herald that they were just a few points shy of a C! Hopefully they can keep this achievement consistent for next year also.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 PM

549 posts, read 1,664,976 times
Quote:

That school is a "ZONE" school. Teachers in "ZONE" schools make $5,000/year more than regular public school teachers in MDCPS.

The average principal in MDCPS makes over $150,000/year (with 2 or 3 Assistant principals who also make over $100,000/year). Now imagine how much money this Doug Rodriguez makes.

Many "ZONE" administrators want their schools to maintain their "ZONE" school status ($$$ reasons, higher salaries, F or D rated schools)

This is an insult to our community. All those teachers and administrators should be fired. There is no reason why we should celebrate a "D". That`s the minimum passing grade in secondary education, and a D is not even a passing grade in college.

Broward is an "A" district! and we celebrate a "D" in Miami.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:29 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Story: Turnaround strategy brings FCAT success at Central High - School on the Brink - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/1493/story/1104274.html - broken link)

"Miami Central Senior High, the recipient of five straight Fs, improved its grade to a D, propelling it off the state list of failing schools." ... ''This is an extraordinary achievement and other schools can learn from it,'' ...
''All of the ingredients of success came together,'' said Carvalho, the superintendent."

Ohh my god! (take a look at the photos, they are hilarious)

Miami Central High Principal Doug Rodriguez celebrating his outstanding achievement ...

Pathetic!
I have to say this is the first time you made me laugh.... Jajajaja (Hahaha)

Old 06-20-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
That school is a "ZONE" school. Teachers in "ZONE" schools make $5,000/year more than regular public school teachers in MDCPS.

The average principal in MDCPS makes over $150,000/year (with 2 or 3 Assistant principals who also make over $100,000/year). Now imagine how much money this Doug Rodriguez makes.

Many "ZONE" administrators want their schools to maintain their "ZONE" school status ($$$ reasons, higher salaries, F or D rated schools)

This is an insult to our community. All those teachers and administrators should be fired. There is no reason why we should celebrate a "D". That`s the minimum passing grade in secondary education, and a D is not even a passing grade in college.

Broward is an "A" district! and we celebrate a "D" in Miami.
which means that the teachers are still over worked and underpaid. the principal still garnered a 20%+ improvement from year to the next. the students are still from one of the most socially and economically depressed neighborhoods in dade county. while the improvement in and of itself is stellar and worthy of praise mr. rodriguez as the article stated is working on repeating the improvements for next year.

I think you clearly miss the point of the article you posted and quoted from and your commentary speaks volumes about your human condition.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 PM

61 posts, read 179,832 times
It is pathetic, especially considering that next year they will go back to getting F's again.

The students that live in that community don't care about education because they basically live in POVERTY. It is part of the human condition that you must first take care of your essential basic living needs before you can hope to be able to focus on any sort of education or higher functional cognitive tasks. A quick look at maslow's hierarchy of needs confirms what I am saying.

Florida is a republican state which means: no government programs to help the community as a whole improve. It is truly sad because, we all either Rise together, or FALL together. Republicans don't believe that, they essentially believe that to the victor go the spoils.

Most of the students that contribute to making that an F school don't care about education, why care when you have to commit crimes and deal drugs just to survive? Esp. if you feel like you are already in the gutter and are basically the toilet for the rest of the US.

The conditions that come together to produce this sort of ghetto environment are one's that could be improved by community outreach programs as well as some sponsored government health care. Yes, it is a shame that we must admit to ourselves that in our own backyards people go without basic health care. In some cases our own citizens receive less health care than some who live in third world countries. What does that say about us as a whole when we build more prisons than schools, and spend money on everything but government programs to help the neediest of our own?

Church and religious programs that actually care about and educate its own constituency instead of trying to leach money from it couldn't hurt either! Some of those church's down there tend to have corrupt pastors who drive around in 745's while the community suffers.

It's truly sad and unfortunate, but a reality of the human condition is this:

When you're poor in this world, everyone has at least one foot on your back holding you down.

People run away from the "poor" like the plague.

Nobody wants to be poor and yet every single one of us plays a part in continuing what has become this monolithic corporate and consumerist culture consisting of greed and conspicuous consumption.

We ignorantly line the pockets of the filthy rich when we buy our high society Chanel purse's and Mercedes Benz automobiles while they arrogantly spit back in our faces as thanks.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcstyle View Post
It is pathetic, especially considering that next year they will go back to getting F's again.

The students that live in that community don't care about education because they basically live in POVERTY. Blah Blah Blah and more poorly though out diatribe.
allow me to clue you a bit. if there are 1000 students in attendence at the subject highschool how many students had to make marked progress in order to achieve the net 20% gain realized in one year? mull on that a bit.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 AM

61 posts, read 179,832 times
Quote:
allow me to clue you a bit. if there are 1000 students in attendence at the subject highschool how many students had to make marked progress in order to achieve the net 20% gain realized in one year? mull on that a bit.

Point taken, but I hardly think you can describe my post as being a "diatribe" . I was simply making a point that you can cover up a cancer as much as you want, but unless you treat it at its very roots, it will continue to grow and spread.

That's all I was trying to say. I'm not putting down the students that made progress nor taking away any credit where credit is due for this achievement.

My point was and still is that the principal at this school is most likely more concerned with his exposure for bringing the school up from an "F" to a "D" than actually caring about his "inner-city" students.

I think you would agree that a D is hardly by any normal standard or convention an achievement, and I think that it was the original intent of the author of this thread to point this out.

Or maybe I'm just jaded.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM

any CEO who increased his business performance by 20% in one year would be universally lauded. if my investments performed at 20% increases in one year I would be publishing a best seller. only a clueless twit would dismiss a 20% improvement, or someone posting anonymously on an obscure BBS.

that's my point.

I believe you'll see even greater improvement in the following year. read up on mr rodriguez, he seems to be a focused disciplined leader deserving of kudos rather than derision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami