Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfjen View Post
It IS only 3 months, how bad can it be, right?
Exactly, since you are here for such a short period, you really should just live in South Beach even with a 3 year old. This way you would be in walking distance to things. Make sure the place you rent has a parking spot though. Most people I think on here would agree that for 3 months Miami is a fun place to be, its when people ask to move here permanently is when you will get a differing of opinions. So just do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
It's also going to probably be far easier to negotiate a three month lease for a furnished place if you go the condo on the beach route instead of single family home.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
1) Make sure you have health insurance, for you and for your family
2) You will NEED a car here, trust me. Make sure this is covered
3) I would recommend either Brickell, Coral Gables or even Miami Beach as a place to live. Alternatively, if you will be working downtown, East Kendall is a cheaper option (and commutable via MetroRail).
4) In our 1BR apartment, we spend approximately $110 per month on electricity, but bear in mind that I have the AC running for at least 8 hours a day
5) Groceries here (especially dairy products, meat, fish, fruit and vegetables) will probably cost you a fair bit more than Spain, so be prepared for that.
6) Go for it. You only live once!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
4) In our 1BR apartment, we spend approximately $110 per month on electricity, but bear in mind that I have the AC running for at least 8 hours a day.
---------
About 80 euros, I pay 150 euros and I only have one AC running about 20 days a month. Electricity is far cheaper there. FPL, I recall.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I am always amazed how people want to import those who are gainfully employed somewhere else to Miami for work. The economy here is a disaster! Perhaps you can find cheaper rent but I would not go somewhere unless my salary was high enough so rent was only 25% or less.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 AM

13 posts, read 43,063 times
oh ok yeah Leo is right, sounds like electricity is more expensive in spain actually! I pay about that without running any aircon.

So even if boss pays house, utilities and car (all very possible) you think to have 2000$/month left over isn't enough? Not giving away what I do [paranoid] but it is not a high flying job so to me, living here, that would be a fine amount to have left over after bills for the day to day. Not tons and wouldn't be living the high life but would get by comfortably for our lifestyle. If it's not enough in Miami I really don't know WHAT to ask for.

Anyway I have firmly left the ball in their court (after quite a tussle "tell me how much you want" "no YOU make me an offer" etc etc ad inifitum) and hopefully next week will have an idea of what's on offer. Still hard to know how I am going to know if it's a good deal or not! lol

thanks for all the help guys.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
tp

I think that 2000 "scots free" is OK. Food there is cheaper, eating out is cheaper. Gas is a laugh. Living there is like living in Teruel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami