Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
OMG, that's insane, how much are his electric bills? I sleep with the AC off and the windows open most of the year to save money. Besides, if I have the AC set below 72, I get too cold.
I don't know what his electric bill is. Don't know the guy, just talking to him in passing some time while waiting for something. Maybe he rents, and the rent includes the electric automatically, so it doesn't matter how low he puts the temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:31 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
holy crap, 66F! we keep it on 78F during the day and 76F at night.
I couldn't sleep at that temperature. Actually, if it weren't for the humidity and if it were cooler at night here, I probably wouldn't need AC at all.

My electric bill is approximately $120 a month for a 1BR condo/apartment. Since the AC comes from a cooling tower in the building, it's relatively cheap (the electrical usage I pay for is basically just for the fan itself).

Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM

976 posts, read 1,111,271 times
Our electric bill was like $265 this month. My wife and I are both FL natives but got used to the temps in Western NC. We cant stand to be hot while we're sleeping. We set the temp around 74 at night and 76 during the day, sometimes 77.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:03 PM

57 posts, read 187,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I couldn't sleep at that temperature. Actually, if it weren't for the humidity and if it were cooler at night here, I probably wouldn't need AC at all.

My electric bill is approximately $120 a month for a 1BR condo/apartment. Since the AC comes from a cooling tower in the building, it's relatively cheap (the electrical usage I pay for is basically just for the fan itself).
I wonder how it is in LA, because its like 70 at night and I'm pretty sure they have low humidity. If they open their windows at night do they have problems with outside sounds? I would think they would. What I would probably do I keep the windows closed most of the time, since it's not super hot out there, the AC probably does not have to run much to keep the apartment a 77F or so.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,884 times
You can sleep through amazingly warm temperatures as long as you are not having any digestive problems that can cause the body to generate extra internal heat. Also a person who finds a sleeping position and stays in it rather than tossing or turning will find that his or her blood temperatures will lower sufficiently.

All that said, I'll take Miami over Los Angeles, because I love the heat and humidity and the smell of the South Florida air, but I will certainly miss having access to the fantastic Crab Ravioli in Lobster sauce that I get at Cravings Restaurant on Sunset Blvd. I'll also miss some of the record stores like Amoeba Music and Vinyl Fetish.

I think Miami and South Florida have the chance to become the next Hollywood, and I am seeing more things produced out of SoFLa. I see Miami as a major cultural influence in the future, and I thing it's currently a dormant boomtown. Perhaps the film industry is the type of economic stimulus that could start the change. The Latin American and Mesoamerican cultures could have a very positive and dominant cultural and economic influence in the near future and I think Miami will feel it first. Art and culture seem to be the leading edge of any advanced civilization, and there is a strong Latin New-Wave movement happening right now. I have all but given up on the rock and so-called leading edge alternative music stations in San Diego, which have all completely stagnated with rap-rock grunge and neo-grunge and I now have my ears tuned to the Latin stations like EXA 91.7, XLTN 104.5, and Pulsar 107.3 to hear Calle 13's Electro Movimiento and other hits by Aleks Syntec and Soda Stereo. On the Latin stations here you will hear music only played in clubs in Europe --and Miami..

Last edited by Reptoid Humidian; 07-26-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 07:17 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
I dont see how. I dont see how you could be comfortable. At night, in Orlando, we have feels like temps of high 80's and low 90's when considering the humidity factor.
I just use a fan. In July and August I sometimes leave the AC on overnight, though.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I wonder how it is in LA, because its like 70 at night and I'm pretty sure they have low humidity. If they open their windows at night do they have problems with outside sounds? I would think they would. What I would probably do I keep the windows closed most of the time, since it's not super hot out there, the AC probably does not have to run much to keep the apartment a 77F or so.
The temperature drops a lot at night in LA because it's a desert environment. The nights are much cooler than Florida. I don't know about in August, but you need a light jacket to go outside at night in LA for much of the year. I think you would be using AC mainly in the daytime there, during the summer.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
The temperature drops a lot at night in LA because it's a desert environment. The nights are much cooler than Florida. I don't know about in August, but you need a light jacket to go outside at night in LA for much of the year. I think you would be using AC mainly in the daytime there, during the summer.
Yeah, I just wonder if outside sound is a problem if they open the windows.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I just wonder if outside sound is a problem if they open the windows.

That's kind of a strange question. It's just like any other city. If you live next to a freeway or in an overcrowded neighborhood, it's going to be noisy. In a suburban neighborhood in a cul-de-sac, it probably won't be.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:

That's kind of a strange question. It's just like any other city. If you live next to a freeway or in an overcrowded neighborhood, it's going to be noisy. In a suburban neighborhood in a cul-de-sac, it probably won't be.
hmm, well, I've never lived in a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami