Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,780 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to decide which of these three areas to live in. We would like your opinions on what are the best neighborhoods to live in Miami. Hands down Florida is cheaper than California. However we want to know what is the sales tax for this state ..etc..any information would be appreciated. We both have degrees in the IT field and if that doesnt work we have Collections experience to fall back on LOL..

We are looking to move in about a year, so we are gathering data trying to see why we should pick Miami above California...

Old 08-22-2009, 01:17 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,507,506 times
I live in Miami and have be researching leaving Miami, LA Metro is on our list too (Ventura county south to Orange County). So I have some information.

Sales tax in Miami is 7.5%. LAs sales tax varies depending where you are from 9.75% - 10.25% in LA County. Orange County to the South is 8.75%. Ventura to the north is 8.25%-8.75%

California has an income tax that is up to 10.3%. Florida doesn't have an income tax.

California Property Tax and Floridas are the same basically. California is 1-2% of the sale value. Florida is 2% I believe of the sale price.

Its more expensive to register your car in California than it is in Florida. You can go to the dmv for California and calculate how much it will be to register your car. After the first initial registration for me in California, it will be 3 time more than my registration here in Florida.

You get more for your money house wise here in Miami.

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-22-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 02:08 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,071,968 times
This is an EASY one......San Diego of course. You are lucky you have the choice.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:57 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,089,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I live in Miami and have be researching leaving Miami, LA Metro is on our list too (Ventura county south to Orange County). So I have some information.

Sales tax in Miami is 7.5%. LAs sales tax varies depending where you are from 9.75% - 10.25% in LA County. Orange County to the South is 8.75%. Ventura to the north is 8.25%-8.75%

California has an income tax that is up to 10.3%. Florida doesn't have an income tax.

California Property Tax and Floridas are the same basically. California is 1-2% of the sale value. Florida is 2% I believe of the sale price.

Its more expensive to register your car in California than it is in Florida. You can go to the dmv for California and calculate how much it will be to register your car. After the first initial registration for me in California, it will be 3 time more than my registration here in Florida.

You get more for your money house wise here in Miami.
I love San Diego ... that would be my first choice for quality of life ... South Florida but not Miami second ... LA last as it shares many of the same problems as Miami just magnified ... I was there three months ago and was shocked as to how deteriorated the greater Los Angeles area has become since I moved back to Florida from Valencia ... quality of air , horrible , beaches full of garbage and homeless derelicts , freeways were full of trash and grafitti actually worse then stretches of I-95 in Dade County , crime and illegal immigration are up .... Spanish is heard everywhere , which is a big issue for many on the Miami forum and the cost of living is through the roof ... much higher than South Florida ... San Diego is also expensive but if you can afford it the place is awesome . If you go with Florida look in Western Broward and / or Northern Palm Beach County ... you can always go to Miami / Miami Beach on the weekends

Old 08-22-2009, 07:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,507,506 times
^^^Everyone that I speak to speaks highly about San Diego. We loved it the last time we were out there. Valencia thats just north of LA in Ventura county? How did the insurance rate for your house in CA compare to the rates in South Florida?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 PM

62 posts, read 219,088 times
That is true, I would live in West Palm Beach. Jupiter area. Don't live in Miami if you don't have too. But if you do, Doral, Kendall, Cutler Bay are nice areas. Depends on what you want.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 7,797 times
MOST DEFINATLY San Diego! Miami is THE biggist rip off I have ever experienced. Unless you speak Spanish don't come to Miami--Cubins think 'Americans' (as we are called here--gee, thought I lived in America) should speak Spanish. Everyone here is on the take--what can you do for me and how much money can I rip you off for! Including--ESP! Miami-Dade County! Everytime you leave the house you put yourself in danger here and it is soooo expensive to live in "the Sunshine State"--give me the RAIN of Seattle!! I HATE MIAMI--anyone want to buy some stupid condos on the water for 60% discount, + outragious HOA's AND TAXES!! I am from Las Vegas--I thought I knew about the fast life and crooks--but Miami can teach the most hard core a thing or two! Hold on to your wallets around Miami as someone will be into your pockets in No TIME!! Miami is NOT for the faint at heart--NO MERCY HERE!! Just a bunch of overpriced BOXES they call condos--and thieves! Can't wait to get back to civilization!!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Everyone that I speak to speaks highly about San Diego. We loved it the last time we were out there. Valencia thats just north of LA in Ventura county? How did the insurance rate for your house in CA compare to the rates in South Florida?
Valencia was nice .. sort of like Weston only with dry brown hills surrounding the city .... Insurance rates are quite a bit lower than in South Florida although not as much as you would think due to seismic activity and frequency of wild fires during the dry season in Santa Clarita ... still it was more expensive for us than living in either Weston or Parkland ... do miss the "Paseos " though which is a network of beautiful walkways and bike paths that wove around the city and even went behind your houses and neighborhoods . Valencia was nice , but was starting to get some of the LA riff raff when we left a few years ago and we were seeing an uptick in property theft .

Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemiami View Post
MOST DEFINATLY San Diego! Miami is THE biggist rip off I have ever experienced. Unless you speak Spanish don't come to Miami--Cubins think 'Americans' (as we are called here--gee, thought I lived in America) should speak Spanish. Everyone here is on the take--what can you do for me and how much money can I rip you off for! Including--ESP! Miami-Dade County! Everytime you leave the house you put yourself in danger here and it is soooo expensive to live in "the Sunshine State"--give me the RAIN of Seattle!! I HATE MIAMI--anyone want to buy some stupid condos on the water for 60% discount, + outragious HOA's AND TAXES!! I am from Las Vegas--I thought I knew about the fast life and crooks--but Miami can teach the most hard core a thing or two! Hold on to your wallets around Miami as someone will be into your pockets in No TIME!! Miami is NOT for the faint at heart--NO MERCY HERE!! Just a bunch of overpriced BOXES they call condos--and thieves! Can't wait to get back to civilization!!!!
Another "insightful" and "intellectually stimulating " post .... from a person who is from all places ..... Las Vegas

Old 08-23-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
That is true, I would live in West Palm Beach. Jupiter area. Don't live in Miami if you don't have too. But if you do, Doral, Kendall, Cutler Bay are nice areas. Depends on what you want.
Parkland , Weston and even Cooper City in Broward are nice ... also Boca Raton , Wellington and Palm Beach Gardens in Palm Beach County .... Jupiter can be very expensive ... but areas like Tequesta and the place the Florida Marlins hold their spring training ( I forget the name ? ) are affordable and upscale .

I would delete Doral from the Dade County list unless you speak Spanish .... prefer Coral Gables , East Kendall , Pine Crest , Miami Shores and Palmetto Bay if you are going to live in Dade County .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami