Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 10,534 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving my family from St. Louis to Hialeah area. I would be working in Hialeah and want a relatively short commute. I am married with a 6 yr old and 3 yr old. Currently we send our son to public school primarily for cultural diversity. We lived in DC/Balto for 10 yrs prior to St. Louis and miss the cultural and racial diversity. We plan to spend about $400 on a house want a 3/2 with a pool or community pool, I will make about $130 - 140K a year. We do not speak spanish but would love to learn.

we love the slower pace of st. louis and the nice family atmoshpher, hate the cold weather, uninspired midwestern culture and food, and no ocean/bay to sail on. My parents retired to downtown Naples (we love it there) haven't been to the East side though.

Thoughts??????

Old 05-19-2007, 11:12 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
Well, if you are looking for a 400K home in a predominantly latin monoculture immigrant community....then Hialeah would be a good place. Keep in mind that just being in a community which looks diverse on paper is not all that wise. There are many more diverse (in the true meaning of the word) communities that are safer, with a stronger sense of community, fewer infrastructure problems, nicer people, better schools and less of a ME syndrome and materialism.

I would urge you to look into Weston or Miami Lakes. Any subdivision in SW Broward will be diverse and have pools...and is a straight shot down I 75 to Hialeah. Hialeah itself has older housing...and not too many pools. Please, visit Hialeah and the schools there first. What you think is exciting diversity will be very difficult for Anglo kids from the midwest. This post will most likely be attacked by the Miami mafia that only posts positives, but trust me, I taught in Hialeah (Hialeah High and Palm Springs Middle). Go to the schools and talk to the teachers. It is wise to learn Spanish, but put your kids in an evironment that is more inviting and cultured. I am sure Little Haiti is "diverse", but most people wouldn't want to relocate there for diversity's sake. Remember, in South Florida, wherever you go, it will be diverse. So pick a place based on your job, income, crime and traffic. Miami Lakes or SW Broward's I 75 corridor seem to make the most sense for you.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,251,143 times
Hialeah is a an area west of Miami that is vastly Cuban. Spanish is the main language there, and in my past experience in Hialeah it's required to get by. Many people in Hialeah can only speak Spanish and don't know any English at all. Also your anglo kids might face some discrimination there. There are better areas near by for what you are looking for, I would only recommend Hialeah if you're Cuban, and I've even heard of some Cuban people not liking it.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:44 AM

525 posts, read 1,852,064 times
OMG, please do not move to Hialeah.

I am a Latina (Colombian) but I would not live in Hialeah. It is only ok if you are Cuban. No matter where you move there will be diversity, but it will not be so rough on your kids.

Those poor midwest white kids of yours will be harassed...I would look into Broward county area...Plantation and Weston are nice. Or at least they where before I got the heck out of South Florida.

South Florida is not a place I would want my kids to grow up in.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
applejuice is right don't move to Hialeah. Look at living in Broward County if you end up here. But again applejuice is right South Florida isn't a place to raise kids. Two different friends of mine left last year to raise their children in better places out of state. The Florida schools just are not up to par...

Old 05-19-2007, 01:38 PM

158 posts, read 647,416 times
Im white and my white kids go to school in Hialeah. They have friends, they go out, they go to parties, they socialize like anyother kid in america. Hialeah is a very latin city but its not just cubans like most people make this place out to be. And let me tell you from the beginning i hardly speak spanish i've been meaning to learn, but again most people here do talk english, there are alot of immigrants that just came and have rough english but the working people all know english, and just like you should know spanish to work here you need to know english even more. Hialeah has safe, quiet neigborhoods, but it does have an old slummy part which is more to the east, but the northwest part of the city was mostly constructed in the last 20 years and is where i live and as i said i know a diverse amount of people not just latinos.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:41 PM

Most people here are gonna tell you otherwise so i suggest you come and visit and see it and you decide.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 88,059 times
You must be insane to move to Hialeah. Honestly! Please, I beg you, for the sake of your children, do not move to Hialeah or anywhere in Dade County. I live in West Palm Beach, you will love it here for the obvious reason.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,251,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_time76 View Post
You must be insane to move to Hialeah. Honestly! Please, I beg you, for the sake of your children, do not move to Hialeah or anywhere in Dade County. I live in West Palm Beach, you will love it here for the obvious reason.
If you live in the right area, that is... there are now places in Palm Beach County that remind me of Dade County, stretching from Lantana to Riviera Beach.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:26 PM

The same can be said about Hialeah or any other part of Dade, you have to live in the right area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami