Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,948 times

Advertisements

Your impressions,
real life stories,
your memories from your studies,
the present condition
&
the future of the med professions in Mia...

Due to climate & abundance of...high health - risk people ( retirees ),
can Mia become the "medical capital " of USA ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM

170 posts, read 450,556 times
I'm not a medical professional but I have a suggestion for the suggestion box.

About the aging baby boomers. The nursing homes will be packed in the future. I think we should quit building more and more nursing homes, which the patients are unhappy in anyway, and pour our tax dollars into Medicare and Medicaid so that the elderly can stay in their own homes and have round the clock care. I'm not talking about the severely ill ones. Most the elderly in the nursing homes just need to be watched round the clock so they won't fall or do something stupid. These are the ones who should be in their own homes. My neighbor in the Redlands is rich. She is elderly but has the money to stay home and have medical professionals come to her house and be there 24/7. If the government could make Medicare and Medicaid a priority instead of these other stupid programs it wastes its money on, then maybe that would be the solution to the over-packed nursing homes of the future. Plus, the patients and their families would be happy.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Such a program would cost...trillions,u r actually talking about ...personalised nursery,which only the rich can afford today...

America's talent is in cost containment...That's why the bugdet deficit is now only...10%...

Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM

100 posts, read 364,709 times
It would be helpful to know from what perspective, or with what objective, you're asking these questions. If you're a physician, a mid-level health care provider, or someone entertaining the idea of training to become one or the other in South Florida, I would think twice about planning to hang your shingle in that area of the country.

When I was there, I found the Miami area to be an incredibly difficult environment in which to practice. Defensive medicine is the rule. That's not to say that the same isn't the case in many areas of the country. But, it absolutely permeates the practice of medicine in South Florida. If you doubt the litigiousness of the South Florida patient clientele, look closely at any private physician's waiting room wall...odds are, there's a sign stating that he's "going bare" and doesn't carry malpractice insurance any longer.

I've witnessed countless dubious approaches to the practice of medicine in Miami that I simply haven't seen elsewhere. And, I say that from the perspective of both a former provider and recipient of healthcare there. Also keep in mind that, unless things have changed dramatically in the past 2 years, South Florida very likely remains the Medicare fraud capital of the nation.

All of this is not to say that there aren't many excellent healthcare providers in the region. But, Miami as a whole has a huge sleaze factor. And unfortunately, at least in the private sector, that applies to the medical community, as well.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Disappointing your comment is...

My bro-in-law & fiance are interested in following the med profession,becoming surgeons...
I understand that Mia is a special market, but I thought that due to retirees ,the med prof would be very succesful...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: