Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM

13 posts, read 30,913 times

Advertisements

Looks like we may be relocating from the Boynton Beach area to Kendall since it looks as though I have a promising job opportunity there. The job would be near the Kendall airport. Not familiar at all with Miami and surrounding areas (duh. otherwise I wouldn't be asking this)

We are 40something white couple, no kids. 1 med. size dog. Not into exciting nightlife anymore, just want something safe, nearby shopping, halfway decent restaurants, maybe some nice parks to walk the doggie. I am home alone alot, because the hubby is a truck driver..... so safety is probably the most important priority.

We could probably afford 1k max. Would love a 2 bedroom condo or apartment, but wondering how do-able that is on our budget? Would we have to go more into Homestead? I'm reluctant, as I've read bad things on this website about Homestead area. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 PM

12 posts, read 86,788 times
Kendall is a rather boring place where you need a car to go pretty much anywhere; It's also the only place in Miami where you can be far enough removed from the "ghettos" that you feel safe (relatively, for Miami terms) wherever you go.

Most of Kendall is safe, but the nicer areas are east of 874. Most of these homes are very expensive but there are a few deals on condos/apartments (I dont know what the prices are but there are some condos around Dadeland near US-1 that are cheap.....and if Kendall has anything close to an "urban" area this is it, it's walkable and the metrorail is nearby). Since your husband will be working near the Tamiami Airport (SW 137 ave and SW 120 street....about 20 minutes drive from there), I'd recommend Kendale Lakes and the Hammocks as the best safe, middle class areas around there. The Crossings is also nice but more expensive. In all these areas, homes probably are too expensive....you could look, but the best bet would be apartments which are usually found near the main thoroughfares in the area (Kendall Drive, Lindgren Road, and SW 104th Street)

There are also some cheaper homes in the "Richmond Heights" area off of SW 152 street, but any further south and you get into sketchy areas.....basically, in West dade...the farther north you go, the nicer the homes are, the farther south you go closer to homestead the worse it gets (in general)

Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM

18 posts, read 98,699 times
If you move by the Kendall Airport, make sure you brush up on your spanish!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 PM

12 posts, read 86,788 times
^^The area out by the airport does have an overwhelming amount of hispanics compared with the rest of Kendall, but most of them are bilingual or don't even speak Spanish...

This is quite different from some areas in the inner city part of miami where spanish is widely spoken.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:12 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazwife View Post
Looks like we may be relocating from the Boynton Beach area to Kendall since it looks as though I have a promising job opportunity there. The job would be near the Kendall airport. Not familiar at all with Miami and surrounding areas (duh. otherwise I wouldn't be asking this)

We are 40something white couple, no kids. 1 med. size dog. Not into exciting nightlife anymore, just want something safe, nearby shopping, halfway decent restaurants, maybe some nice parks to walk the doggie. I am home alone alot, because the hubby is a truck driver..... so safety is probably the most important priority.

We could probably afford 1k max. Would love a 2 bedroom condo or apartment, but wondering how do-able that is on our budget? Would we have to go more into Homestead? I'm reluctant, as I've read bad things on this website about Homestead area. Any other suggestions?
$1k is a little low for a 2 br but you will probably be able to find an apartment in Kendall. You can find a townhome in homestead for that range but I wouldn't move to East Homestead, it's boring, most places close by 11pm, many empty properties, and a lot of renters are moving there. They have Chinese Drywall issues with some of the newer properties

You will not find a home/townhome for 1k though in the Kendall area. If you up your budget to $1,200-$1,400 you will probably find a townhome in West Kendall by Hammocks or the Richmond Heights area.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coruna View Post
It's also the only place in Miami where you can be far enough removed from the "ghettos" that you feel safe (relatively, for Miami terms) wherever you go.

The rest of your post makes sense though.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
$1k is a little low for a 2 br but you will probably be able to find an apartment in Kendall. You can find a townhome in homestead for that range but I wouldn't move to East Homestead, it's boring, most places close by 11pm, many empty properties, and a lot of renters are moving there. They have Chinese Drywall issues with some of the newer properties

You will not find a home/townhome for 1k though in the Kendall area. If you up your budget to $1,200-$1,400 you will probably find a townhome in West Kendall by Hammocks or the Richmond Heights area.
Totally agree...we were living in a 2/2 with 1 car garage on a lake () for $1,200. You might be able to swing an apartment for $1K though...the Hammocks area is pretty decent and it's not too far removed from Kendall Executive.

Everyone around here is bilingual, so you should have no problems finding people who speak English...

Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazwife View Post

1k for a 2 bedroom is really low. Can you up your budget some? My sister rents her place out for 1,400 or 1,500 (can't remember the exact amount) and its a 1 bedroom, plus den, 1.5 bath just to give you an example. If you look into places like Cutler Bay you will be able to fine a 2/1 for under a thousand, but the area IMO is a little sketchy. The closest place you are legally allowed to walk a dog at a park is on US1 in Perrine (just south of Brandsmart). Some suggestions of large communities to look at are Country Walk, The Crossings, The Hammocks and Sabel Chase. Look at the areas around these large communities too as there are smaller subdivisions that may fit your budget. Keys Gate in Homestead is really nice, but I don't think you will find a 2 bedroom for 1k. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 30,913 times
Thank you for all the input.

A bit depressing though. Looks like we'd have to either settle for a 1 bdr or move further away from the job, because 1k is really pushing it on our budget.

Hopefully, an apartment locating service might help us to figure out a happy medium somehow.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 AM

535 posts, read 1,411,138 times
1k for a 2/2 in Knedall is very low. I live in the Hammocks area, the rent is $1,400 for a 3/2, and a 1/1 where I live is $900-$1,000. If you want a nice and quiet area (quiet for being Miami) you can choose from Hammocks, Country Walk, or Homestead. At Homestead you can find for 1k what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami