Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 AM

76 posts, read 299,036 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring next year and want to get a second home in a gay community. I am thinking of South Beach because is so urban and does not require a car. You can walk to everything. Yet, I realize that Fort Lauderdale is the city to which most gay men move these days. Will I be sorry to have chosen South Beach over Fort Lauderdale? Is there still a lot of gay life in South Beach? If so, what kind? Thanks so much for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
South Beach is pretty diverse. There are lots of gays, models, wannabe famous, pretty people, wealth, jet setters, etc. I think you would like it. It isn't exculsively Gay, but it is obviously a mecca for that.

I don't know about Ft. Lauderdale too much, but I think Wilton Manors is the gayborhood of Broward...but I am sure FLL has some too. Try posting in their board to see how they compare the two. I am sure SOBE is for the younger crowd and Broward is the more established folks.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 AM

809 posts, read 2,317,471 times
Wilton Manors is much more tame and that South Beach. If you want constant night life and action then move to South Beach. If you want to buy a condo or older home where you can walk to your local watering hole or favorite restaurant, then make Wilton Manors your next home.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
I will be retiring next year and want to get a second home in a gay community. I am thinking of South Beach because is so urban and does not require a car. You can walk to everything. Yet, I realize that Fort Lauderdale is the city to which most gay men move these days. Will I be sorry to have chosen South Beach over Fort Lauderdale? Is there still a lot of gay life in South Beach? If so, what kind? Thanks so much for the advice.
I wouldn't discount Ft. Lauderdale, as I just saw a few articles saying the gays are leaving South Beach for Ft. Lauderdale. Just something to think about.

Broward beckons South Florida gays from Miami-Dade - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/columnists/sfl-ligayfl0619sbjun19,0,6137728.story - broken link)

Miami News - Gays leave unfriendly South Beach for Fort Lauderdale - page 1

Old 01-26-2010, 01:36 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,079,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I wouldn't discount Ft. Lauderdale, as I just saw a few articles saying the gays are leaving South Beach for Ft. Lauderdale. Just something to think about.

Broward beckons South Florida gays from Miami-Dade - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/columnists/sfl-ligayfl0619sbjun19,0,6137728.story - broken link)

Miami News - Gays leave unfriendly South Beach for Fort Lauderdale - page 1

I have read and heard the same .... some gays are unhappy that SoBe is not as gay friendly as it was in the 90's due to the area becoming more "urban " ( ghetto ) starting with the disaster that is the Memorial Day Week End Hip Hop fiasco ... hip hop and "gangsta" types are not known for being very gay friendly and are quite homophobic .. I have read about hate crimes and beatings in South Beach over the last few years and frankly although I am straight and married .... both my wife and I preferred South Beach when it was more Gay and European style ... it has also lost much of the luster it had as a modeling and fashion capital in the 90's and earlier this decade . Only Lincoln Road retains some of the feel South Beach had ten - fifteen years ago ... in summary we preferred the "artsy fartsy " South Beach over Ghetto and Reggaeton

Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 PM

170 posts, read 450,686 times
What we are trying to say is that in South Beach, it's Halloween year round.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:47 AM

I am grateful for all this advice. Please keep it coming.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 AM

I guess what you guys are saying is that even though SoBe may have lost some of its glamour from the 90s, it still is a fun place. Is that the case?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:21 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,079,932 times
Quote:
I guess what you guys are saying is that even though SoBe may have lost some of its glamour from the 90s, it still is a fun place. Is that the case?

Live in Ft.Lauderdale , Rio Vista , or Wilton Manors and head down to South Beach on the week ends ... you will be happier than living in South Beach full time .

Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
There was JUST a article on this actually.

*found it

Read this link

I work with a openly gay man and he lives in Wilton Manors and he LOVES that area. Also know another open gay guy who left Miami and moved to Wilton Manors. From what I have been told Miami is very conservative in many ways and that includes south beach. Some try to put it on the cubans but if you read that article I posted above, some of the people doing these crimes on gays are not latino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I have read and heard the same .... some gays are unhappy that SoBe is not as gay friendly as it was in the 90's due to the area becoming more "urban " ( ghetto ) starting with the disaster that is the Memorial Day Week End Hip Hop fiasco ... hip hop and "gangsta" types are not known for being very gay friendly and are quite homophobic .. I have read about hate crimes and beatings in South Beach over the last few years and frankly although I am straight and married .... both my wife and I preferred South Beach when it was more Gay and European style ... it has also lost much of the luster it had as a modeling and fashion capital in the 90's and earlier this decade . Only Lincoln Road retains some of the feel South Beach had ten - fifteen years ago ... in summary we preferred the "artsy fartsy " South Beach over Ghetto and Reggaeton
I have been freelance photographer in South Florida for the last few years now. I have done work for some big name music groups and entertainment companies. I have to disagree with you on the Fashion side of Miami. It is actually on the come up. Not on the NYC/LA/London/Paris level but then again it never was, but it is FAR better off now than it was even 5 yrs ago. The ONLY thing different about S. Beach now is the gay scene and depending on ones perspective that can be a good or bad thing. For me, it is what it is. One thing that is different though you are seeing some high end boutiques and even photograpy studios leave S. Beach but that is more a function of cost than it is anything else. The owner of one such Studio told me he left S. Beach because it was just to darn high in terms of rent. He is now in the Design District area and so are some of the boutiques. I really like that area a LOT, edgy in terms of character but very very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami