Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM

57 posts, read 172,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
In fairness - can I suggest that is someone is making 15k to 20k in Miami - they are probably did not leave the northern states making 75k - they were probably making somewhere in the Same range of salary - I'm sorry matrix I have to disagree with your analogy someone making a good salary in NYC doesn't leave here making close to 100k to go there and make 25k - that is not an accurate dipiction - if you tell me someone left NYC making 35k and now makes 20k in Miami that is believable but that 35 in NYC is about the same As that 20k in miami - it might actually get you more in Miami and the surrounding and quality of life are much more appealing. Weather can have a huge bearing on people - what didu do for a living? What did you make when you left Philly? What did you make in Florida? This is what you have to ask yourself - to make the same money I make here - I would have to make about 63k a year -I'm working with agancies that claim they can get in that ballpark for me - obviously that remains to be seen.
Exactly. Its not like we're talking about people leaving another city and a great job to go flip burgers. But if you're flipping burgers in buffalo as compared to miami - there isn't too much difference here, other than you'll live in a warm city. Sure, you can't go live it up, but the beach is still free...no gas bill...doesn't destroy your car as fast...etc...

I'm still waiting for someone to point out why it would be worse living poor in miami as compared to living poor in buffalo short of "at least you're not missing out on anything in buffalo."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 04:36 PM

174 posts, read 412,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Well as DiamondGirl said, they beach and the palm tree won't pay your bills. Miami is way far for being the cleanest city in America, probably it was 10 years ago, but not now... If you want to earn minimum wage and pay more than 1k a month for a 1/1, this is the place for you!

Actually in 2008 Miami Ranks #1 for the cleanest city in America and still ranks in 2009.

America's Cleanest Cities - Forbes.com

Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealous_R_WE View Post
Hilarious <snickers>. Don't come here unless you have the means to support yourself. Miami is not a city for burger flippers or losers who can't cut it financially. You need money here, so deal with it. You also have to look good and be prepared to put in hours at the gym. This is not a place for weak minded losers. The jealousy will just eat you up insde when you see people looking like me (those who know me call me 'H-Bod') getting all the chicks. You are haters and the best way to deal with haters is to just smile at them, as you drive past them in your BMW, with the hot Cuban babe you scored with at the club the night before!
Oh please. Guys that are superficial like you are just compensating for weaknesses in other areas--usually a particular other area.

And by the way, you and your pathetic leased BMW, whatever. When you own it and your home free and clear, go ahead and brag. Until then .

Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Oh please. Guys that are superficial like you are just compensating for weaknesses in other areas--usually a particular other area.

And by the way, you and your pathetic leased BMW, whatever. When you own it and your home free and clear, go ahead and brag. Until then .
Exactly! Sounds like someone is very impressed with himself (insert vomit sound here)!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Exactly! Sounds like someone is very impressed with himself (insert vomit sound here)!
Sounds like a troll. Just look at the screen name

I really hope no one moves here or anywhere as a matter of fact without a job or savings.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealous_R_WE View Post
<snip>
I'm pretty sure this is a sarcastic troll attempt people, let's not get outta hand here.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Sounds like a troll. Just look at the screen name

I really hope no one moves here or anywhere as a matter of fact without a job or savings.
Umm YES - who does that - I'm sorry that Miami (because it is beautiful) is inundated with idiots. I would not move anywhere as and intelligent adult on the WISH factor - I want to get to Florida ASAP, but if the right job for the right money - guess what, I can't go anywhere. It really is a crappy feeling, but it is what it is. Rational people dont just get up and say I'm moving to miami today and have no idea where I'm going to get money from but there are beaches there so, I'm out. That is either a person whose elevator does not reach the top floor or someone, who could not be defined under any other terms, but as an idiot, obviously I'm not speaking about anyone specific on here, but in general.

The OP's original statement implies that people leave "Northern" states making gobbs of dollars and go to Miami to flip burgers. Honestly, I know things are bad there, but where does this logically make sense. If you are flipping burgers here in NYC or any other NORTHERN state chances are you are getting paid about the same as you would in Miami. So, I completely understand you wanting to be in a place that is just asthetically more beautiful. Allbeit that you are broke. You will be broke anywhere working at a burger joint. I don't know anyone making 60, 70, 80K in NY who went to Florida and was like sure I'll take 25 or 35K - no problem. Like I said I know it is bad but, I know larger corporations are not paying Legal assistants 30K - those are usually mom and pop places that really can't afford to pay someone well - you will get this anywhere in any state, YES, even here in NYC - and usually NOT ALWAYS, but usually, you get really crappy service because of this.

I have to telly you that I have been rewarded in pay for all my hard work. Perhaps the issue for some people is not their employer but their own work ethics.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 AM

415 posts, read 651,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsebring View Post
Exactly. Its not like we're talking about people leaving another city and a great job to go flip burgers. But if you're flipping burgers in buffalo as compared to miami - there isn't too much difference here, other than you'll live in a warm city. Sure, you can't go live it up, but the beach is still free...no gas bill...doesn't destroy your car as fast...etc...

I'm still waiting for someone to point out why it would be worse living poor in miami as compared to living poor in buffalo short of "at least you're not missing out on anything in buffalo."
I have to somewhat disagree with this. I'm in the process of deciding if I can move to Miami so I understand the need to want to move to a place with a better environment. Considering we are covered in snow here in DC. But most people need to get past this entitlement attitude and realize that if you want a better life you need to work to make one not wish to have one.

It would be worse living in Miami flipping burgers than Buffalo flipping burgers because if you're flipping burgers in both places then you're probably getting paid the same in both places. But because Buffalo has a lower cost of living you'll actually have extra income to either save or use to go to college to get a better job than flipping burgers.

Take responsibility for yourself. Get a school loan, take classes at night, work on the weekends and after a few years it will pay off. If you want to do this in Miami where it cost more than in Buffalo, fine. But moving to Miami to flip burgers and just hoping that you'll find something better just makes you irresponsible and a burden on your self and society as well. The majority of the tax breaks, entitlement programs, etc. that are given to low income earners are given so that they can better themselves and then move up to a point where they contribute as much as others.

But this doesn't pertain to just people moving to Miami but also people living in Miami as well. Stop complaining that you make $15k a year and go out and do something about it. When the average student at FIU is making $45k and tuition is only $4k you have NO EXCUSE. Heck if you only make $15k a year you'll probably qualify for a pell grant. You can then take out a school loan for the remaining amount which would probably be around $12k for the entire 4 years. This would amount to a payment AFTER graduation of less than $100 a month.

If you can't do at least least this then the problem is with you. Do you really expect someone to take you seriously when you walk around and talk about how hard it is when you only have a high school diploma?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:09 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
I have to somewhat disagree with this. I'm in the process of deciding if I can move to Miami so I understand the need to want to move to a place with a better environment. Considering we are covered in snow here in DC. But most people need to get past this entitlement attitude and realize that if you want a better life you need to work to make one not wish to have one.

It would be worse living in Miami flipping burgers than Buffalo flipping burgers because if you're flipping burgers in both places then you're probably getting paid the same in both places. But because Buffalo has a lower cost of living you'll actually have extra income to either save or use to go to college to get a better job than flipping burgers.

Take responsibility for yourself. Get a school loan, take classes at night, work on the weekends and after a few years it will pay off. If you want to do this in Miami where it cost more than in Buffalo, fine. But moving to Miami to flip burgers and just hoping that you'll find something better just makes you irresponsible and a burden on your self and society as well. The majority of the tax breaks, entitlement programs, etc. that are given to low income earners are given so that they can better themselves and then move up to a point where they contribute as much as others.

But this doesn't pertain to just people moving to Miami but also people living in Miami as well. Stop complaining that you make $15k a year and go out and do something about it. When the average student at FIU is making $45k and tuition is only $4k you have NO EXCUSE. Heck if you only make $15k a year you'll probably qualify for a pell grant. You can then take out a school loan for the remaining amount which would probably be around $12k for the entire 4 years. This would amount to a payment AFTER graduation of less than $100 a month.

If you can't do at least least this then the problem is with you. Do you really expect someone to take you seriously when you walk around and talk about how hard it is when you only have a high school diploma?

Gixx - I don't think this really includes you as you are coming here for school - I believe this person's point was geared more towards people who just wake up one day and want a change of scenery and are off to Miami to live the good life (this of course is a bit exaggerated, but you get my drift LOL). Yes, a person in Buffalo may be better off, but it is fair to say that both places would suck in abundance on a fast food salary.

Bottom line have a plan of action don't go anywhere without one. I don't care if they are handing out jobs like popsicles - make sure you are qualified for those jobs in question. I personally think that in work it is not what you know but who. Schooling is great, but not the biggest deal. Bachelor's are just about the same as high school diplomas - sad but true.

Last edited by Shoegal1075; 02-08-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM

415 posts, read 651,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Gixx - I don't think this really includes you as you are coming here for school - I believe this person's point was geared more towards people who just wake up one day and want a change of scenery and are off to Miami to live the good life (this of course is a bit exaggerated, but you get my drift LOL). Yes, a person in Buffalo may be better off, but it is fair to say that both places would suck in abundance on a fast food salary.

Bottom line have a plan of action don't go anywhere without one. I don't care if they are handing out jobs like popsicles - make sure you are qualified for those jobs in question. I personally think that in work it is not what you know but who. Schooling is great, but not the biggest deal. Bachlor's are just about the same as high school diplomas - sad but true.
Chelsa I have to disagree here. You are sort of making the argument that there isnt a big difference between a college graduate and a non college graduate. Without a college degree you are simply shutting out most decent job opportunities. I agree that once you have the degree it's still up to you, but without the degree you have no shot at all.

I agree that who you know is very important. But if you flip burgers how are you going to meet anyone??? Go to college, participate in organizations and the people you know will begin to expand. So ten years later the people you know will be other college grads instead of fellow burger flippers.

Education IS the biggest deal. Average salary nationwide by education level in 2003 from U.S. Census:

High School $37,835
Associates Degree $56,970
Bachelors Degree $68,728

As far as everything else I think were in agreement. Have a plan on how your going to get where you need to go. The problem is that where most people want to go requires a college degree.

I mean seriously what job to you expect to have in Miami that will pay you more than $25k that doesn't require a college degree?

I copy and pasted the information from the Bureau of labor statistics from the other thread about the jobs and salaries in Miami. I made the ones that don't require a college degree bold. Keep in mind these are averages and many people in these professions DO have a college degree. Not having a college degree is becoming what not having a high school diploma used to be.

Management Occupations 30,670

3% with average salary of $110,480.

Business and Financial Operations 56,250

5% with average salary of $60,910

Computer and Mathematical Science 17,060

2% with average salary of $65,290

Architecture and Engineering Occupations 11,600

1% with average salary of $62,570

Life, Physical and Social Science 5,530

1% with average salary of $65,990

Community and Social Services 12,120

1% with average salary of $43,260

Legal Occupations 12,170

1% with average salary of $89,180

Education, Training and Library 53,690

5% with average salary of $45,430

Arts, Design, Entertainment and Media 16,250

2% with average salary of $49,880

Healthcare Practicioner and Technical Occupations 54,120

5% with average salary of $67,300

Healthcare Support Occupations 26,580

3% with average salary of $25,070

Protective Services (Police, Fire, etc) 36,990

3% with average salary of $36,550

Food Preparation on Services 79,700

8% with average salary of $21,130

Building and Grounds Cleaning 30,030 (The haven't released estimates for landscapers and groundskeeping so this is a low estimate)

3% with an average salary of $20,950

Personal Care and Services 28,490

3% with average salary of $25,170

Sales and Related Occupations 136,390

13% with average salary of $39,130

Office and Administrative Support 217,530

21% with average salary of $30,130

Construction and Extraction Occupations 39,650

4% with average salary of $37,230

Installation Maintenance and Repair 40,410

4% with average salary of $38,380

Production Occupations 41,560

4% with average salary of $28,190

Transportation and Material Moving Occupations 71,300

7% with average salary of $34,600
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami