Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 9,100 times

Advertisements

Miami is AWESOME!!!

I live in Coral Springs (west Broward), and if you want to feel alive, young, you enjoy the company of others...DON'T move where I live.

I'm 50, married with children (15 and 11 so I started late), and the only thing that keeps me sane are my 2 or 3 visits to Miami a year. And where the heck does the expensive opinion come from? Aside from South Beach, it's no different than the rest of South Florida.

Real people, real food, real culture...

If you can appreciate a big city that isn't THAT big, Miami IS paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by at7815 View Post
I know it's very hard to not generalize, but I was mainly referring to the reference of finding rude people everywhere. I'm sorry but that has not been my experience. Yes, I've found a good share of rude people and bad service, but I believe you find that in any city.

I don't think Miami is paradise...I've never said that. I just personally enjoy it here and the few times I've posted on this forum I have always specified my thoughts the city not being for everyone. Some will love it, some will hate it. I just think that if you're truly unhappy here...you should just move.

This forum seems to be full of negativity towards the city but I've found that to be the case is most forums. People are more likely to come to a forum to complain or try to find a solution to a prob. than if they are happy. Again...I don't want to get anyone upset. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I think I've shown respect for others' so far so I'd expect reciprocity.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Thank you! It is hard not to generalize. Yes there are still some nice people in Miami. I can't say there are no rude people or say excatly what street I had a good/bad experience because it happens any place.

There really isn't that much negativity on these threads (just the hard core sad truths), but more of differing in opinions. About a months ago, a new batch of poster came on, and they jumped in, and kind of have been taking things out of context. Not really knowing the full picture of things, they have called certain people racist, that are not at all racist. And they are just more...but whatever...

I came to this site, looking at other city forums, as we are trying to move. I then checked the Miami section, and like many just read, till someone said "There are no crocodiles in South Florida". Crazy person. There are crocodiles, my god father had one in front of his dock in the keys this weekend.

If I could I would of left two years ago, but my better half has some strong roots here. That we are slowly cutting, but I don't know when we will be able to move. Till then, I just put up with Miami, and find that "perfect" place. It isn't that easy to move for some, as you can see...

Old 06-01-2007, 01:07 PM

184 posts, read 611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies07 View Post
You were in college station last week? It is summer break there now, try going during the semester, there are way hotter girls there than south beach almost all from texas, as well as smarter too!

I have been there before ... nice college town and good university .... but no comparison with South Beach ... no way !!!

Yes , there are beautiful women in Texas ... I have seen plenty in Houston and Dallas ... not sure what happened to San Antonio ?

Old 06-01-2007, 01:20 PM

56 posts, read 206,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
I have been there before ... nice college town and good university .... but no comparison with South Beach ... no way !!!

Yes , there are beautiful women in Texas ... I have seen plenty in Houston and Dallas ... not sure what happened to San Antonio ?
Not only at A&M are they hotter, but also Texas Tech and UT Austin Too! Only fake ones there at miami beach, and extremely materialistic too!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM

184 posts, read 611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies07 View Post
Not only at A&M are they hotter, but also Texas Tech and UT Austin Too! Only fake ones there at miami beach, and extremely materialistic too!

Whatever man ..... I will never agree with you and I have been all over the world .... sorry . Yeah there are good looking women in Texas ... no arguement .... but no fakes ones and not materialistic ... hmmm ... I guess you have not been to Dallas ?

By the way I will put up FSU , UM & UF , any day against your Texas babes .. I am a UF grad ...... National Champions in Football & Basketball !!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:52 PM

56 posts, read 206,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
Whatever man ..... I will never agree with you and I have been all over the world .... sorry . Yeah there are good looking women in Texas ... no arguement .... but no fakes ones and not materialistic ... hmmm ... I guess you have not been to Dallas ?

By the way I will put up FSU , UM & UF , any day against your Texas babes .. I am a UF grad ...... National Champions in Football & Basketball !!!!
Well I would agree that UF and FSU are just as hot as well as several other big state schools like georgia, auburn, lsu etc.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:43 AM

90 posts, read 352,842 times
Default Always the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by at7815 View Post
I know it's very hard to not generalize, but I was mainly referring to the reference of finding rude people everywhere. I'm sorry but that has not been my experience. Yes, I've found a good share of rude people and bad service, but I believe you find that in any city.

I don't think Miami is paradise...I've never said that. I just personally enjoy it here and the few times I've posted on this forum I have always specified my thoughts the city not being for everyone. Some will love it, some will hate it. I just think that if you're truly unhappy here...you should just move.

This forum seems to be full of negativity towards the city but I've found that to be the case is most forums. People are more likely to come to a forum to complain or try to find a solution to a prob. than if they are happy. Again...I don't want to get anyone upset. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I think I've shown respect for others' so far so I'd expect reciprocity.

Have a good weekend everyone!
You know, everytime I come here and spend some time reading the new post while I am bored at work I seem to find the same comment. "If you dont like Miami, then just move".
You know what? That is easier said than done. For many people that are living there and have family or business there, they just cant leave. But most people cant leave because they are stuck in what I call "The Miami Trap". You see, you make very little money compared to other parts of the country and pay huge bills. And moving is very expensive to begin with. Its hard enough to come up with a first and last months deposit when your just moving to another place down there. But add on top of that the cost of moving to another city or state! How many people can actually do that?

Fortunately for me, I was able to move out of the swamp. With enough determination and some unexpected money. But its not that easy for most others. And many are still leaving! The population of Miami grew but only because of immigration. People that grew up there, like myself, are leaving in droves and the last census proved that.

So please, instead of just telling everyone who dislikes Miami to leave, why not try to figure out a way to fix its problems.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 12,961 times
I am moving to Miami this month. I have been there twice a year for the past 4 years. I know living there is different than vacation, but I like it enough to give it a try.

No place is perfect. There are bad things and bad people everywhere. It really amazes me how the people on this board bash Miami over and over. Im gonna give it a go and if I dont like it, I will leave. Others can do the same.

I would never sit and bash my home town because if I hated it that bad, I would just leave.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:10 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
You know, everytime I come here and spend some time reading the new post while I am bored at work I seem to find the same comment. "If you dont like Miami, then just move".
You know what? That is easier said than done. For many people that are living there and have family or business there, they just cant leave. But most people cant leave because they are stuck in what I call "The Miami Trap". You see, you make very little money compared to other parts of the country and pay huge bills. And moving is very expensive to begin with. Its hard enough to come up with a first and last months deposit when your just moving to another place down there. But add on top of that the cost of moving to another city or state! How many people can actually do that?

Fortunately for me, I was able to move out of the swamp. With enough determination and some unexpected money. But its not that easy for most others. And many are still leaving! The population of Miami grew but only because of immigration. People that grew up there, like myself, are leaving in droves and the last census proved that.

So please, instead of just telling everyone who dislikes Miami to leave, why not try to figure out a way to fix its problems.

Fixing it's problems is more unrealistic than trying to find the way to move out. If I lived my life posting how much I hate Miami 10 times a day, I would find a second job even if I had to bag groceries, cut grass or wash cars. Some of these people who post how bad it is here don't even own homes. They could pay a penalty and get out of their lease. Others have enough equity in their homes, that they could sell and move to another state or area. It's easier for people to complain until the fingers fall off and throw in their racial comments while they are at it. If anyone thinks that they are going to stop the bad things about Miami, (crime, congestion, and for some of these people, the latins) they will be miserable until the day that they die. These problems aren't going to go away. Some of these bitter and miserable people will be unhappy no matter where they go. Maybe deep down inside, they know that, so they figure why move. Where there's a will, there's a way. I know that in some cases, it's harder for some people to leave especially if they own a business. For most though, it's just a matter of working a little harder for a goal.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:23 PM

44 posts, read 218,900 times
^ +1 - Thank you!

I know moving is not easy, but some people here sound extremely bitter b/c they live in Miami and I think that if it affects you "that" much...you could definitely find a way out.

A lot of the posts here are shocking. I was expecting to find people who would be willing to help others who were thinking about moving here or just share opinions on the city or restaurants and what not. What I found was actually a lot of hatred and racial comments. It's just not a good online community I don't think. I know what you'll say - if I don't like it, I should leave! Right? Well...I think I should too and I probably will.

Best of luck to everyone! I really hope you find a better place to live than Miami or if you like Miami already, I hope you enjoy it for many years to come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami