Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 AM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is moving to South Florida sometime in the next year (My mom, my brother and I). This is largely due to the fact that Los Angeles isn't cutting it anymore (far too much stress, traffic, etc), and the fact my Dad is moving there is well to persue a business venture, but also to be close to his family as he is a Bahamian-native. It is also due to the fact that we could do alot better in Miami (cost of living is 40% lower than Los Angeles IIRC), and also to sell our home (3beds,2baths in a nice neighborhood, 1mil!).

Basically, I need help finding an above-average preferrebly upper-middle class neighborhood with good schools (I'll be a senior in high school) , good job oppurtunities (especially for a lawyer), low crime (duh!) , nicely upkept (nice trees, landscaping, water, nice roads, parks, etc), proximity to Miami and/or Fort Lauderdale (where the lawyer jobs are) also plays a role.. Diversity also plays a small factor in this move.

I've done a bit of researching myself and a few neighborhoods I've kept an eye on are Weston, Pembroke Pines and Aventura. To my luck, my mom criticized Weston (she claims it is too far), so can you guys help me with a good neighborhood?

If it helps, an ideal house is a 4bed,3bath home for 3,000sq.ft. for under $600,000.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
As LA is one of the places we are looking to move to, we have looked at the cost of living index to, Miami is 132.2 and LA is 153, so it will not be 40% lower. Maybe 10 years ago it was.

I have to agree with your mom, Weston is to far west in my opinion (anything west of the turnpike is far, for some people I know anything west of I-95 in Broward or US1 in Miami-Dade is to far ), for that matter so is Pembroke Pines. Aventura is better located if you want to be in between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

If you want to go further south you may be able to find a fixer upper in Pinecrest or Coral Gables at that price range.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I want to know what kind of work can transfer such a huge salary to Miami!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 PM

57 posts, read 156,668 times
I couldn't imagine L.A. since it's much worse than Miami. We are being conquered by the third world. Who would have thunk it??

Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Friends of mine that have lived in Miami and now live in Santa Monica, said Miami is way worse. They would never move back here. So I think it depends who you ask unfortunatly.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
OK guys, instead of only responding with "Miami is worse than anywhere else" kind of statements, how about respecting that what the poster said about their research (not only that sounds like they aren't old enough to make the decision to where they have to move) and answer the questions asked?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
(not only that sounds like they aren't old enough to make the decision to where they have to move)
What are you trying to say? We've done plenty of research on the various locales, I'm only hear to get honest opinions from the locals (such things can't really be found on the internet).

Old 08-28-2007, 04:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
What are you trying to say? We've done plenty of research on the various locales, I'm only hear to get honest opinions from the locals (such things can't really be found on the internet).
I know, that is what I was saying hahahahha. You have done your research and you already are moving to Miami and you have questions about those areas but the people were answering you with not answers but "don't move here" statements. I was trying to help you get better answers, I hope my reference to your age did not offend you in any way.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I know, that is what I was saying hahahahha. You have done your research and you already are moving to Miami and you have questions about those areas but the people were answering you with not answers but "don't move here" statements. I was trying to help you get better answers, I hope my reference to your age did not offend you in any way.
No worries, no offense taken

Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
You got some negative responses because you alluded to inaccurate information, mainly the 40% lower cost of living, and mentioned you wanted to escape stress, traffic etc, things which certainly are major issues in Miami. I think people are basically saying that those reasons are not good reasons to locate here...
If you want less stress and traffic, you need to keep looking for another city.

Regarding prices, 600K won't go as far as you think if you want an upper-class, safe, clean area with good schools (much less a 4 bedroom). I think you could find houses on the small and old side which need work in truely nice areas, like Morningside, The Roads, West Miami in that price range...but the schools are not great and they most likely would not have 4 bedrooms. You will have to go the private route...

If you HAVE to have a 4 bed house, it will most likely have to be a newer home, and you could find this in Kendall, where there schools are far from great, but better than other areas. Otherwise, Browards County is an option as well.

Also, there are some decent pockets near North Miami Avenue between 103St all the way up to North Miami Beach, and there are many Caribbean Black families in the area (you mentioned Bahamian roots). The area overall isn't the best, but if you pick a nice pocket, it could be a great place (thinking Biscayne Gardens, Miami Shores or El Portal)

Good luck and please share about what job pays 200K annually in Miami....just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami