Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 PM

22 posts, read 57,279 times

Advertisements

Hi guys:
You all helped me a little more than a year ago when I moved from Manhattan to St. Pete. I never thought I would like St. Pete as much as I do. Not that I love it, because the people are a bit too old and simple for me, but no complaints. And there was not much to do in my interest. I still love the sound of heels on concrete. I know, I'm a fool...

...but I fell in love with the laid-back attitude, nobody in your face or business, lack of crime, and the sun out most of the time...

...so now, my job has transferred me AGAIN, to Miami. MY QUESTION IS:
If I want a very nice urban neighborhood with singles trendy unpretentious mid-younger good-looking people. I just want kind of a laid-back, real SOHO Manhattan area but down in Miami, and if there is a possibility the people can be more east coast and less barbie injected and pretentious, all the better...if not, hey, I can look the part but id rather not be around that. I love laid-back, walking to different restaurants, nightlife, safe to walk at night, blah blah. My job will be around the airport so I want to live somewhere where there will either be no long commute (no more than 15 minutes), driving against traffic, or no traffic. I would also like to pay no more than $1400.00 for a nice rental...

please advise me on where the cool places are, and PLEASE, I have no patience for NEGATIVE COMMENTS...

Thanks all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
The walking neighborhoods are not that close to the airport, fyi. With that said, I think they are worth a 30 minute drive in rush hour traffic. South Beach, Brickell, Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables and South Miami all have some part that has shops, restaurants, and apartments/condos/homes in walking distance.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:21 PM

22 posts, read 57,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The walking neighborhoods are not that close to the airport, fyi. With that said, I think they are worth a 30 minute drive in rush hour traffic. South Beach, Brickell, Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables and South Miami all have some part that has shops, restaurants, and apartments/condos/homes in walking distance.
Thanks DB. I will agree. If, with the commute, the drive is not more than 30 minutes, then I can deal with it. Or I can live in between and go to the cooler neighborhoods on the weekends...???

So, these areas that you mentioned...I guess I will start looking at these when I drive down...awesome!

I also heard about the Design District...what do you think about that DB?
thx loads!

Old 03-21-2010, 06:31 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I am not really all that familiar with the area, other than I have gone to a few bars there. By the looks of the area, I really wouldn't want to walk around to much. Maybe someone else has better knowledge of that area.

When you are down, and you have decided on one of the neighborhoods. I would do the commute during rush hour. This way you can get a relatively good idea what your commute will be.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:16 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz79 View Post
Thanks DB. I will agree. If, with the commute, the drive is not more than 30 minutes, then I can deal with it. Or I can live in between and go to the cooler neighborhoods on the weekends...???

So, these areas that you mentioned...I guess I will start looking at these when I drive down...awesome!

I also heard about the Design District...what do you think about that DB?
thx loads!
Midtown (near the Design District) is headed toward trendy-ville (which is a fantastic thing for the area!), but it isn't quite there yet. There are several restaurants you can walk to, and the Beach is a short 10 minute drive across the Causeway. I think Brickell might be closer to your requirements

Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 AM

470 posts, read 1,194,008 times
Downtown, Midtown, and all the areas around Downtown and Midtown are close to the airport, and most of them are walkable. You could take public transit to the airport, and by the end of 2010 there's going to be all these new things having to do with MIA (Miami International Airport) so going to and from the Airport is going to be easy, quick, and smooth.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 PM

196 posts, read 590,079 times
Default buses = not easy quick or smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLee1 View Post
Downtown, Midtown, and all the areas around Downtown and Midtown are close to the airport, and most of them are walkable. You could take public transit to the airport, and by the end of 2010 there's going to be all these new things having to do with MIA (Miami International Airport) so going to and from the Airport is going to be easy, quick, and smooth.

whenever you have to use the bus system in miami it is never easy quick or smooth. ESPECIALLY if you're going to rely on it for getting to/from work.

OP: i know you said you didn't want to read negative replies but you will be going on false info if you think you can rely on the buses. you're from NYC so you are used to manhattan public transit. believe me, it is not like that in miami. you will definitely need to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami