Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:41 AM

433 posts, read 1,013,191 times

Advertisements

I'm a white single still somewhat young guy looking to find a place with a lot of action that is easily accessible and walkable.

Up until recently I thought that southbeach was not an option because i would need to speak fluent spanish to enjoy it there and find work, and because the nightlife is so exclusive.

Recently some people have been telling me that im generalizing and that while there are a lot of exclusive area's there are also tons of places on southbeach for everyone else and that it is not a problem if I dont speak spanish although it would help to increase my vocabulary in it.

So whats the real scoop here? Is it even worth my time to go down there and check it out?

Some people say that southbeach is only 10 percent non-hispanic white and I would be viewed as an outsider while others disagree. Please help me to figure out if it's worth hitting up southbeach to check it out for myself or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,949,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I'm a white single still somewhat young guy looking to find a place with a lot of action that is easily accessible and walkable.

Up until recently I thought that southbeach was not an option because i would need to speak fluent spanish to enjoy it there and find work, and because the nightlife is so exclusive.

Recently some people have been telling me that im generalizing and that while there are a lot of exclusive area's there are also tons of places on southbeach for everyone else and that it is not a problem if I dont speak spanish although it would help to increase my vocabulary in it.

So whats the real scoop here? Is it even worth my time to go down there and check it out?

Some people say that southbeach is only 10 percent non-hispanic white and I would be viewed as an outsider while others disagree. Please help me to figure out if it's worth hitting up southbeach to check it out for myself or not.
lol . . .all of the above. . . . fauve, tiger and others gave you some good valuable information on the fort lauderdale thread, it's like doing the same thing over and over and somehow expecting a different result.

The real scoop is that no one can figure out if either destination is worth it for you, as every individual situation varies. I'd say grab the bull by the horns and go for it, seems you don't have much to lose and possibly everything to gain, try Sobe first, if it doesn't work then go to ft. lauderdale and so on. . . Good Luck!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,477,926 times
Always worth it to check it out, you can't decide on something till you visit it a few times. So come and see for yourself if South Beach is the place for you or not. Best to visit in August, the worst time weather wise. If you are young, single, with no ties, why not try Miami. You can always leave when your lease is up a year later.

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-02-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
Miami is Miami.. you don't NEED spanish to survive, but it sure as hell makes life easier and makes getting a job easier. You'll eventually find something though.

To say you'll feel like an outsider is pushing it, you'll only feel like an outsider if you are that kind of person. Think of a south american immigrating to the midwest, that's how you'll feel. You can go to Miami with an open mind to meet new and different people, or you can go and complain that people are different from where you are from. If you aren't ready for this, you'll end up another grumpy poster on city-data complaining miami isn't usa and everyone is so mean to you.

South beach rocks, although i prefer to live in brickell, and honestly i'll probably move to kendall and save some money in the future. Its all about $$

Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 AM

It would be particularly interesting to get a white male perspective on south beach hispanic or non hispanic.

If I can get a descent paying job in the service industry, pay the bills, find a room that costs less than 600 a month and have a blast socializing with people and going out then i will totally love it.

If I never meet any white nonhispanics or other nationalities that enjoy socializing with me and speak english than i will not enjoy it as much. What fun is living in a place like that if you have a hard time meeting anyone?

It's the lifestyle of beachlife Im after. This is a highly walkable kick ass beach destination with lots of night life and job openings.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:56 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
Quote:
It would be particularly interesting to get a white male perspective on south beach hispanic or non hispanic.

If I can get a descent paying job in the service industry, pay the bills, find a room that costs less than 600 a month and have a blast socializing with people and going out then i will totally love it.

If I never meet any white nonhispanics or other nationalities that enjoy socializing with me and speak english than i will not enjoy it as much. What fun is living in a place like that if you have a hard time meeting anyone?

It's the lifestyle of beachlife Im after. This is a highly walkable kick ass beach destination with lots of night life and job openings.
I am a white guy, read my posts.. its all from the perspective of a white dude who learned Spanish after moving to Miami.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I am a white guy, read my posts.. its all from the perspective of a white dude who learned Spanish after moving to Miami.
I will read. Im guessing you enjoy it if your still there.

If it worked out for me of course I would brush up on my spanish and get better with it, but did you feel you HAD TO in order to meet anyone?

Id like to think that my english will get me by, since it probably will take a while for me to be able to communicate effectively in spanish.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:27 PM

470 posts, read 1,194,776 times
Quote:
I will read. Im guessing you enjoy it if your still there.

If it worked out for me of course I would brush up on my spanish and get better with it, but did you feel you HAD TO in order to meet anyone?

Id like to think that my english will get me by, since it probably will take a while for me to be able to communicate effectively in spanish.
You poor soul. You have been lied to and misinformed. Miami Beach is really diverse. Every race and ethnicity. You do NOT need Spanish at all. The only place Spanish IS needed in Dade County is in the Latin ghettos and it's actually NOT needed BUT there is a chance you will come in contact with a Spanish only person, so it's always better to be prepared. I have yet to come in contact a Spanish only person.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM

9 posts, read 105,983 times
Sobe is less Spanish than the rest of Miami, you can perfectly enjoy Sobe when you only speak English.
Some French people came without any English/Spanish level and they have really nice holiday

Old 04-02-2010, 03:36 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,477,926 times
Quote:
600 sounds really low, I wouldn't expect to find anything nice in South Beach for 600 a month. I think you need to look at other locations, get a roommate or look at spending more on rent. As far as service industry jobs, make sure you have one when you come here, and remember many service industry jobs like waiters aren't around year round. Restaurants do cut back their staff in the low season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami