Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Do you think I could survive the "low" season there, and how long do you think realistically it would take to get a job for someone with 5+ years experience as a server with only 2 years in fine dining?

I know you probably dont work in that field but I figure you may have a friends story or two on this situation.

If it's realistic that I could get a job within a reasonable amount of time and be set up and on my feet by the end of the month then it makes sense. If not maybe I should put it off, go to orlando, and try it when it picks up at the end of the year.
sorry, honestly, behind a um student most of my friends dont have jobs, i'll probably get ripped apart for this like always but i think its always possible to find something if you keep your eyes open and you might not always be in the position you want to be, but you'll eventually get there

experience miami, if its not for you move, but in my opinion its worth a chance because if miami is a fit for you you'll be the happiest person in the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 AM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
sorry, honestly, behind a um student most of my friends dont have jobs, i'll probably get ripped apart for this like always but i think its always possible to find something if you keep your eyes open and you might not always be in the position you want to be, but you'll eventually get there

experience miami, if its not for you move, but in my opinion its worth a chance because if miami is a fit for you you'll be the happiest person in the USA
Well Im probably going to check it out but I really hope the advice in this thread isn't just feel good positive you can do whatever you set your mind to stuff. I need facts because I dont have a lot of time and money to waste and I want to be able to stay in florida but I need to focus and put my resources into one area before too much longer. I thought southbeach would be next to impossible and people have me thinking now that it is no harder to get a job there than anywhere else.

You guys have encouged me enough that I am probably going to abandon my central florida job hunt that I have barely started to go check out the situation down there.

What worries me is that Ive been reviewing your threads and your posts seem to waffle a lot. One minute miami is the best place in the entire world and the next your talking about how your looking into relocation after college.

One minute your praising the beach while the next your saying how you would never live there. One minute your talking about how I can go down, get a server job and maybe even be hired on the spot while the next minute you act like it could be a long process, I might not be able to start as high as a server, and many people may bash you for even suggesting that it's possible.

I thank you for all of your advice and I appreciate it very much but I hope your speaking somewhat from experience here.

Remember that my reason for this origional post was to see if it would be worth my time to go down and put resources into finding a job there as a waiter despite not speaking spanish. If this is something that will most likely take months than I just dont have the time or money.

In this economy the average server has to apply to about 50 jobs and follow up with managers before landing a job. If that sounds about right then fine (that would take 1-2 weeks tops), but if southbeach is more like hitting every single restaurant and club on southbeach, and then following up 10 times to beg and plead -- and still having to get lucky and hope that someone quits or gets fired right before my 9th trip to the restaurant then southbeach isnt for me at this time.

About the only other job I would really be willing to take other than server would be barback, and maybe even runner if the money was enough to keep me afloat but id have to be desperate.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 04-04-2010 at 01:48 AM..

Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I wouldn't move to Miami without a job line up if your funds are short. If you have a years worth of savings to cover all your expenses, then come on down. We are coming into the slow season so restaurants are going to start cutting back on staff. What I would suggest is you make a trip to Miami, have as many interviews line up while you are in town and see what pans out from those interviews.

As far as the waffling, just like any city Miami has it good and bad points. There are going to be people that like everything about Miami and then there are people that hate everything about, with a bunch of people in the middle. Now if you are going to love or hate Miami or be one of those in the middle, you will only find out which one you are, when you move here. Each one of these opinions on here is just that their experiences, not yours. You may have a totally different view of Miami than they do.

You are young and single, if you have ever wanted to live in Miami, now is the time in your life to do it. The older one gets the more things you will have to tie you down to one place, i.e. marriage, children, family, career, etc. Look, if you do decide to move to Orlando or Miami and hate it, you can always pick up and move at the end of your lease.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I wouldn't move to Miami without a job line up if your funds are short. If you have a years worth of savings to cover all your expenses, then come on down. We are coming into the slow season so restaurants are going to start cutting back on staff.

So then basically your saying I should go with Orlando right? I mean this is their ramp up period and they have 6 of the chain restauants that I work at here. South florida has some too but the locations are more questionable and there is only one in miami. Most people say Orlando is better than any one city location in South Florida with the exception of Miami so if I did south florida at this point Id wanna do southbeach.

It's hard to imagine me not getting a job in a restaurant if I look constantly but your right the high season is coming to an end, even if I got a job they could lay me off in a couple months.

I guess I will just do orlando and if I dont like it try out Miami if I can ever set it up ahead of time. I am visiting my friend soon so I will at least go check it out and put in a few applications.

Thanks for all the help guys, you almost had me ready to go do or die down there for the next month!!

Take care.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Sounds like you are being smart, and yes I think job wise for you, Orlando is going to be a better choice. As it has a year round tourist draw. Come and check Miami out, put a few applications out and see what happens. But also do the same in Orlando. Let us know where you end up.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
So then basically your saying I should go with Orlando right? I mean this is their ramp up period and they have 6 of the chain restauants that I work at here. South florida has some too but the locations are more questionable and there is only one in miami. Most people say Orlando is better than any one city location in South Florida with the exception of Miami so if I did south florida at this point Id wanna do southbeach.

It's hard to imagine me not getting a job in a restaurant if I look constantly but your right the high season is coming to an end, even if I got a job they could lay me off in a couple months.

I guess I will just do orlando and if I dont like it try out Miami if I can ever set it up ahead of time. I am visiting my friend soon so I will at least go check it out and put in a few applications.

Thanks for all the help guys, you almost had me ready to go do or die down there for the next month!!

Take care.
The thing is, is that, in either situation you don't currently have a job/apartment, so I don't think it really matters if you choose Orlando or Miami.

People ALWAYS do the 'don't move here without a job', but to me, that speaks MUCH more to those who are making serious moves - y'know the kinds, the ones where people load up the wife and kids, sell their house, and hire a moving van.

When you are young and single, you SHOULD be able to carry everything with you in your car in one trip. In that case, it is really a 'LITTLE' risk...I mean, all you have to do if it doesn't work out, is jump in the car and drive 3 hours to Orlando and 'try again'. But when you are young and single, you just get a roommate situation and pump out the resumes, and land something and that's all you need - (unlike the register kids in school, find jobs for husband and wife, buy a house, etc. kind of thing).

To me, if I were in your situation, and I have many times, I would just pack up the car and move to MIAMI right away and 'give it a shot'. You're doing the same thing regardless in either Orlando or Miami - why not go for the 'cool one' - especially since you said that when you are an old man, you want some stories to tell the kids. I don't think anyone will care much at all that you were in Orlando back in 2010 But Miami, on the other hand...!!

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Sounds like you are being smart, and yes I think job wise for you, Orlando is going to be a better choice. As it has a year round tourist draw. Come and check Miami out, put a few applications out and see what happens. But also do the same in Orlando. Let us know where you end up.
Yeah I spoke to a good friend about it who is a GM of a restaurant and probably more outgoing and tenacious than I am. He told me that HE would hesitate to go to southbeach and that you have to know spanish (which is what some other spanish girls told me when I was out tonight)

So after my friend said that I was like "so you think it's ridiculous for me to even think about this crazy idea?" and he was like

"why don't you just go down there and try it and see what happens"

and I replied

"Well wouldnt it be irrisponsible for me to go down there and spend my whole time trying to make this dream happen when I could be hitting easier places like fort lauderdale while Im down there?"

and he then said something that made perfect sense:

"Just go down there, spend 3 or so days only on southbeach and if it's meant to be then it will be"

That just made sense to me. Normally I like to focus on something and run it into the ground and do every last thing I can do to make it work do or die -- but I think in this case where I have so many options all over the state it would be a shame to go for the megabucks jackpot when I can get the 100,000 dollar prize.

Southbeach is probably the place for me. I love diversity -- my favorite places in orlando are the places where everyone all over the country is at. I love nightlife, I love masses of people, I love beaches, and I love huge clubs.

But if it's not meant to be it's not meant to be. Im going to be sure to check it out and put in a few days of effort. I will probably even straight up ask people while Im down there if I have a shot, and urge them to be honest. The truth is that I'm a little out of shape, my abs have a little chub on them, Im not real tall, I don't really have a tan right now, and I can't speak spanish (yes I know I sound like a girl right now lol).

On top of that my fine dining experience is only at a couple years and that was a while ago, ive been working in casual and chain restaurants lately. It's probably a dream more than a reality -- especially with the low season coming up fast.

I will update this thread as to what happens. Thanks for all the encouragement.

P.S

Tiger bear you seem to truely understand my way of life for sure, right down to me being able to fit almost everything in one car load. lol. You make a lot of sense. I guess if I get down there and the 3 days is up but I get a sense that it is a real possibility then maybe I will continue to try. I will keep you all posted.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 04-05-2010 at 12:30 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 06:35 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Honestly Eagle, in my opinion you should give Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood/las Olas, not South Beach a second shot. Don't discard that possibility, as the Spanish will not be a huge issue there. Ft Lauderdale is NOT a retirement place with no nightlife like you think it is. I think it's quite a joke as many people from Miami hang out up there.

The only difference between Broward and Miami is the language but it only takes a 25 minute drive to move from one county to the other.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
It would be particularly interesting to get a white male perspective on south beach hispanic or non hispanic.

If I can get a descent paying job in the service industry, pay the bills, find a room that costs less than 600 a month and have a blast socializing with people and going out then i will totally love it.

If I never meet any white nonhispanics or other nationalities that enjoy socializing with me and speak english than i will not enjoy it as much. What fun is living in a place like that if you have a hard time meeting anyone?

It's the lifestyle of beachlife Im after. This is a highly walkable kick ass beach destination with lots of night life and job openings.
White non-Latin male here...
I don't speak Spanish and have lived in South Beach for 8 years.
You'll be perfectly fine.
The bigger consideration in South Beach is how you look, not what language you speak. So, if you a young, hot stud, you'll have no problems on the scene. Because, in the end, it's the superficiality that is the bigger concern.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:39 AM

470 posts, read 1,193,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Honestly Eagle, in my opinion you should give Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood/las Olas, not South Beach a second shot. Don't discard that possibility, as the Spanish will not be a huge issue there. Ft Lauderdale is NOT a retirement place with no nightlife like you think it is. I think it's quite a joke as many people from Miami hang out up there.

The only difference between Broward and Miami is the language but it only takes a 25 minute drive to move from one county to the other.
DEFINITELY NOT! Spanish is not an issue anywhere in Miami or the Miami area (Miami-Dade County) except, for the few Latin only ghettos, and there most know perfect English.

Technically, Ft. Lauderdale doesn't have ZERO nightlife, but it's nightlife sucks and is nonexistent compared to the Miami nightlife. And Ft. Lauderdale is a retirement place, I mean it's not ALL retirement, but all the old retirement type people in South Florida are in Ft. Lauderdale and the Ft. Lauderdale area.

And about people from Miami being in Ft. Lauderdale, HA! Please. Everybody in Ft. Lauderdale and the Ft. Lauderdale area go to Miami and the Miami area ALL THE TIME (and I don't mean literally everybody but a HUGE amount, ESPECIALLY, the young people 20's and under.) Nobody in Miami goes to Ft. Lauderdale, one reason being, there's nothing there and there's no need. If anybody from "Miami" goes there, it's people from Aventura or Sunny Isles Beach, people from those places, and that isn't Miami, those are separate cities in the Miami area. And only a couple go there once in a blue moon.

And LOL, the only difference in the language? are you serious? what language? English? LOL. Miami is a diverse city, of course other people speak other languages, that's one of the great things about Miami. I don't see anyone posting any of that about NYC, which over 100 languages are spoken there. And 25 minutes? why are you lying? maybe from Hallandale to Aventura with ZERO traffic or something like that. 25 minutes? you might want to add 35 more minutes to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami