Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 14,502 times

Advertisements

Don't confuse Miami Vice TV-show with all that crappy modern-era stuff like CSI Miami and other. Michael Mann's show was quite the different.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,434,388 times
Testa

The same crap. Not real.
Figments from some deranged scriptwriter living 4.000 miles from Miami.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 14,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Testa

The same crap. Not real.
Figments from some deranged scriptwriter living 4.000 miles from Miami.
I feel sorry for you,Leovigildo. You missed the whole era. Were you blindfolded two decades ago and didn't notice all the things that happened around you that time? Man,you can't be serious. Get Real! And,if you don't know, "Miami Vice" was based on the real stuff which this city had to deal with that time. The TV- series portrayed the events that were common things in Miami back in the 80-ies-drugs,corruption,vicious murders,banking machinations and so on. And this factor largely contributes to the reality of "Miami Vice". So if you think otherwise,you probably haven't seen this TV-show AT ALL. If you watch even a couple of "Vice" kick-ass episodes, you definitely will change your opinion to better. Once again,i feel sorry for you... You were living with your eyes wide closed during the 80-ies years. LOL!

Last edited by testarockett; 07-20-2009 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 03:09 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Ok Miami natives, or those with an eye towards history, I am curious about your views. We mostly agree that Miami is a place that gets more unpleasant as time goes on, but most who were here agree that the 1950's were Dade county's best times. Could anyone bring out something that was worse back then than now? Any ideas why Miami has become such a mess, so fast?
Let me guess... You were a kid back then...

Old 09-27-2009, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,303 times
Smile Community, Decorum and Civility

I spent my teenage and early adult years in Miami, 1951-1960. During that period there was a cohesive community of intelligent, moral and industrious persons that took great pride in just rules/laws for all in what was known as Greater Miami. Major entertainment was found on Miami Beach in the glitter and glamour of the Fountainbleu, the Eden Roc and other large hotels. There was Arthur Godfrey, Jackie Gleason, Frank Sinatra at the Fountainbleu, Elvis Presley at the Olympia Theater and a too numerous amount of celebrities to list that entertained at the beach . Downtown was an area of commerce, the beach was a designated relaxation arena. There was the fabulous Orange Bowl for football; an excellent school system that had demanding requirements for graduation and produced many college bound graduates. Persons were civil, polite and kind to each other when they met in public. There was a focused decorum and respect for etiquette. We were gentile. All in all, I think the 1960's trend of focus-on-the-self with a disregard for all rules changed not only Miami, but many other major cities. Today, Narcissism has spread like a virus and persons no longer hold decorum in wide regard. I do believe that shreds the cohesiveness of any community; when we stop treating each other with civility, we lose a sense of co-operation and community. ... just my opinion.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:35 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delumiere View Post
I spent my teenage and early adult years in Miami, 1951-1960. During that period there was a cohesive community of intelligent, moral and industrious persons that took great pride in just rules/laws for all in what was known as Greater Miami. Major entertainment was found on Miami Beach in the glitter and glamour of the Fountainbleu, the Eden Roc and other large hotels. There was Arthur Godfrey, Jackie Gleason, Frank Sinatra at the Fountainbleu, Elvis Presley at the Olympia Theater and a too numerous amount of celebrities to list that entertained at the beach . Downtown was an area of commerce, the beach was a designated relaxation arena. There was the fabulous Orange Bowl for football; an excellent school system that had demanding requirements for graduation and produced many college bound graduates. Persons were civil, polite and kind to each other when they met in public. There was a focused decorum and respect for etiquette. We were gentile. All in all, I think the 1960's trend of focus-on-the-self with a disregard for all rules changed not only Miami, but many other major cities. Today, Narcissism has spread like a virus and persons no longer hold decorum in wide regard. I do believe that shreds the cohesiveness of any community; when we stop treating each other with civility, we lose a sense of co-operation and community. ... just my opinion.
When you have hundreds of thousands of poor refugees who had to lie, cheat, steal, forge, embelish, loot, kill, or otherwise break laws or take advantage of existing political treaties in order to enter that utopia you just described, words like morality, community and cohesiveness seem quite trivial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami