Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times

Advertisements

Ok Miami natives, or those with an eye towards history, I am curious about your views. We mostly agree that Miami is a place that gets more unpleasant as time goes on, but most who were here agree that the 1950's were Dade county's best times. Could anyone bring out something that was worse back then than now? Any ideas why Miami has become such a mess, so fast?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 AM

159 posts, read 804,105 times
Sort of off topic, but check this out.

Memories of old Miami and Dade County, Florida (commentary - no photos) - click on image to enter photo - Don Boyd photos at pbase.com

Old 06-13-2007, 12:37 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,567 times
i cant for the life of me picture hippies in south florida. the extreme selfishness i see here is totally the opposite of hippies. how come south florida's hippies all left but they still exist along the west coast and especially the pacific northwest in such plentiful numbers?

Old 06-13-2007, 12:51 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,251,143 times
Hmmm I wonder which one was a better time.... I really do...

Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 PM

184 posts, read 611,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Ok Miami natives, or those with an eye towards history, I am curious about your views. We mostly agree that Miami is a place that gets more unpleasant as time goes on, but most who were here agree that the 1950's were Dade county's best times. Could anyone bring out something that was worse back then than now? Any ideas why Miami has become such a mess, so fast?

Miami was a cow town in the 1950's , my family used to come down here all the time for vacation ... the only area that was vibrant was Miami Beach with the "ratpack " and other celebrities performing at the Fountainbleau and other hotels . You had plenty of rednecks in Hialeah and Sweetwater , as well as the Klan . I think the late 1960's and early 1970's where the best of times in Miami , especially during the hey days of the Miami Dolphins and yes I remember the large hippie presence in Coconut Grove it was really cool back then . CIXel , you would have loved it back then !!!

Coming from Jacksonville , though Miami seemed like a glamorous celebrity mecca and we used to love it down here .

I remember the original Cuban immigrants from that era ... good , honest hardworking people whose children and grandchildren are now mostly professionals and who are "aghast " at the more recent Cuban arrivals . Many of my Cuban American friends from that era no longer live in Miami and have moved points North for the same reasons many white americans have left the area .

tallrick ... you sound like you might be happier moving to Montana and starting an Aryan militia or something similar

Old 06-13-2007, 01:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
tallrick ... you sound like you might be happier moving to Montana and starting an Aryan militia or something similar
This seems a bit harsh, doesn't it?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:45 PM

people nowaways are more concerned with trying to get rich quick or cheat their way to wealth than actually build legitimate businesses with hard work.
you also have large portions of people who dont want things to change such as in the keys.
people in places of power clinging to things and preventing change.
in most respects miami is dying. theres no substance.
sure you have a whole bunch of new buildings going up but theyre all get rich quick schemes.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:02 PM

that site just depresses me. it sounds like miami was such a wonderful place back then =(

Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 PM

184 posts, read 611,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This seems a bit harsh, doesn't it?
I was kidding .... maybe I will just exile you to Weston then ?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:35 PM

160 posts, read 601,024 times
Are we kidding? I guess that's only a serious question for some of us. Let's see what I come up with when I google the good old days in Miami. Colored Town, Virginia Key Beach, Jim Crow, black performers couldn't even stay in Miami Beach after their shows..... I think I'll take 2007 please =)

Overtown, Miami, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Virginia Key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anybody ever watch Dave Chappelle? There was a funny skit about the realities of that kind of nostalgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami