Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,403,320 times

Advertisements

I think Miami is more glamorous, while Atlanta is more practical. Miami feels like a resort-type oasis until the lights turn green and the horns blow!

That's when you "snap out of it" so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
I think Miami is more glamorous, while Atlanta is more practical. Miami feels like a resort-type oasis until the lights turn green and the horns blow!
Well said!!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM

415 posts, read 651,314 times
I get the feeling that you mixing the argument of which city is "faster" with which city you personally like better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I get what you're saying, but still not a criteria just to move to a place. That's something that can be remedied with a plane ticket, hotel, and some extra funds for shopping. I dont need to move back to NYC to enjoy fashion. I can fly there for that, but I get your point.
Again the argument isn't which city you personally want to live in, we talking about which city is faster. I agree you can simply get on a plane and visit NY (or LA or Miami) from Atlanta if you want to shop. But that is besides the point. When it comes to fashion Miami is "faster" than Atlanta. You are basically saying Miami isn't faster than Atlanta when it comes to fashion because you personally don't see fashion as a criteria for choosing a place to live. One thing has nothing to do with the other. That would be like me saying LV isn't faster than Atlanta when it comes to gambling because I don't choose where I want to live based on gambling.

Quote:
Yeah, more options for the same things. But again, variety is what makes it fun for me, and many. You're right about partying later in Miami. Atlanta needs to take care of that. ASAP (for the younger crowds). Let 4-5am be the official closing time.
Again, what is personally fun for you has nothing to do with what is "faster". One person may prefer a local jazz bar but most wouldn't consider it "faster" than a huge club filled with 3000 people that's open until 6 am with people in the bathrooms doing coke. I'm not talking about what one individual person likes better I'm talking about which place would we consider "faster".

Quote:
Gotcha. Now it's clear.

Don't you also think moving to Atlanta, put them in better financial positions overall? (I'm just saying).
In many cases yes. But what does being in a better financial position have to do with being a "fast paced" city?

People who go out and party every week, drive a fancy car and then go home to stay at their parents would be considered by most to live a faster paced life than a well rounded, financially stable married couple with 3 kids living in the suburbs. Again I'm not talking about what you personally like or who thinks which way of life is better but simply which would most people consider faster.

Quote:
That's exactly my point. You answered it already (you just didn't know you did).

It's a matter of perspective.
No I didn't answer my question. I stated that that the problem is that everyone has a different definition of fast. That wasn't a question it was a statement. Of course I know it's a matter of perspective that was the whole point.

My question was for people to actually state what they think "fast" means. That way we could actually see peoples perspective instead of them just saying one is faster than the other.

From your post I can see that your perspective is not which city is actually faster but which city is personally more enjoyable to you. So I can see that although we disagree which city is faster it really doesn't matter because we actually agree on most the facts but have a completely different set of criteria for applying those facts.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
I get the feeling that you mixing the argument of which city is "faster" with which city you personally like better.
Easy there, Gixxer.

You're reading a bit too deeply into my last replies. I think I agreed and give you thumbs up in agreement for most of your statements. I just added side points (which I should have clarified in the first place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1000
Again the argument isn't which city you personally want to live in, we talking about which city is faster. I agree you can simply get on a plane and visit NY (or LA or Miami) from Atlanta if you want to shop. But that is besides the point. When it comes to fashion Miami is "faster" than Atlanta. You are basically saying Miami isn't faster than Atlanta when it comes to fashion because you personally don't see fashion as a criteria for choosing a place to live. One thing has nothing to do with the other. That would be like me saying LV isn't faster than Atlanta when it comes to gambling because I don't choose where I want to live based on gambling.
You didn't get an argument from me there. Why are we still debating this? I just added my input, not in disagreement.

Quote:
Again, what is personally fun for you has nothing to do with what is "faster". One person may prefer a local jazz bar but most wouldn't consider it "faster" than a huge club filled with 3000 people that's open until 6 am with people in the bathrooms doing coke. I'm not talking about what one individual person likes better I'm talking about which place would we consider "faster".
You didn't get a rebuttal there. I thought we were done.

Quote:
In many cases yes. But what does being in a better financial position have to do with being a "fast paced" city?

People who go out and party every week, drive a fancy car and then go home to stay at their parents would be considered by most to live a faster paced life than a well rounded, financially stable married couple with 3 kids living in the suburbs. Again I'm not talking about what you personally like or who thinks which way of life is better but simply which would most people consider faster.
No arguments there. That was just a question I threw out there, which could have started another topic. I guess it didn't. No love lost.

Quote:
No I didn't answer my question. I stated that that the problem is that everyone has a different definition of fast. That wasn't a question it was a statement. Of course I know it's a matter of perspective that was the whole point.

My question was for people to actually state what they think "fast" means. That way we could actually see peoples perspective instead of them just saying one is faster than the other.

From your post I can see that your perspective is not which city is actually faster but which city is personally more enjoyable to you. So I can see that although we disagree which city is faster it really doesn't matter because we actually agree on most the facts but have a completely different set of criteria for applying those facts.
Exactly!! I guess I didn't go in depth, hence the confusion. I hope I'm not confusing you anymore. Or am I?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 PM

415 posts, read 651,314 times
Quote:
Easy there, Gixxer.

You're reading a bit too deeply into my last replies. I think I agreed and give you thumbs up in agreement for most of your statements. I just added side points (which I should have clarified in the first place).
Gotcha. I guess I was thinking that if you agreed with most of my points then you would have simply agreed that Miami is faster and then transitioned into why you like Atlanta more because its not as fast. So to me you side points seemed like rebuttals.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post

It's an oasis in some areas sure. I think many people have Miami confused for something it's not. A place where people are always happy, have good jobs, and enjoy the beaches, etc, is certainly not the case. I think people think Miami is "glamorous" because of tv shows, etc. It's obviously not. I've been there only twice - but my entire wife's family is from there. In the two times I've been there it didnt look at all like what's portrayed on tv. It's actually one of the poorest cities in America, or at least it was a few yrs ago.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 PM

470 posts, read 1,194,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
It's an oasis in some areas sure. I think many people have Miami confused for something it's not. A place where people are always happy, have good jobs, and enjoy the beaches, etc, is certainly not the case. I think people think Miami is "glamorous" because of tv shows, etc. It's obviously not. I've been there only twice - but my entire wife's family is from there. In the two times I've been there it didnt look at all like what's portrayed on tv. It's actually one of the poorest cities in America, or at least it was a few yrs ago.
It doesn't matter what it was years ago, it's what it is now. I know many Miami natives and they all say Miami has changed for the better, it's such a different city than what it was a couple of years ago, and that drastic changes happen so quickly. I can only imagine what Miami is going to be and look like by the end 2010 (if they play their cards right...)

Old 06-10-2010, 01:15 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,403,320 times
Quote:

Well I need to take you to some “poor” places if you think Miami fits the bill. The reason I feel Miami is more glamorous is partly because of its setting. The water, the palm trees, the eye candy, the nightlife, the numerous exotic automobiles that you don’t see as many of in Atlanta (not as often anyway), the numerous palm draped mansions on the water etc. These are all things that make Miami in my opinion the more alluring city of the two.

Now if we’re talking about rough parts, yes Miami has its fair share but it pails in comparison to what I’ve seen in other places like New Orleans, Memphis or even parts of Philadelphia. Atlanta has some very glamorous parts too, but Miami is more “in your face” with it I think. The undesirable parts of Atlanta and Miami are pretty comparable to me. Neither just jumps off the page like other cities that I’ve visited in the past.

Let's see how long it takes before someones posts the nations poorest cities in an attempt to disprove me. I don't care about statistics, what matters is what I see whenever I'm actually there, and I just returned from Miami two weeks ago so don't go there! *gets off soapbox*

Old 06-12-2010, 01:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times
Quote:
I've been there only twice - but my entire wife's family is from there. In the two times I've been there it didnt look at all like what's portrayed on tv. It's actually one of the poorest cities in America, or at least it was a few yrs ago.
City of Miami is DOES NOT represent Miami. It's more accurate to get stats for the whole Miami Dade County. You visited Miami twice but you have been in the Miami board millions of times bashing the city because of second hand information you hear from your in laws. Sorry but it sounds like you really don't know this city very well, no wonder you can't tell the difference between city of Miami and Miami.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:39 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
^^^ ok!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami