Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:20 PM

17 posts, read 50,570 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a gay male thinking about moving to South Beach. I've lived there a couple times in the past. I always loved it and thought it was where I ultimately wanted to live. I was there last winter and was shocked at how much its changed (after being away for about 3 years). Like everywhere in America, all these stupid Starbucks and chains and cookie cutter "luxury condos" everywhere. The biggest difference was that it seemed so much less gay. There were gay people there obviously but hardly any gay venues to go to. And i HATE all the hip-hop clubs that are there now. Anyway, what was great about southbeach, from a gay point of view, was that there was so much to do and everything was walkable. I don't understand what direction the area is going in now. Will it still remain a great place for gay people to live and play???? Is the economy still in the hole? Will it recover??? Any and all THOUGHTFUL comments welcome.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,321,470 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned

incog, I'm not gay but from what I've seen there are still plenty of gay people in SoBe. Perhaps it's the gay crowd that is changing? A new generation of gay?

I've always heard Wilton Manors up in FTL is becoming the new gay city of choice.

I think you're best off taking a visit to both WM and SoBe and seeing what fits you best (or any area in between for that matter) SoBe is still very gay friendly and IMO had a lot of gay people... it's certainly no Destin or Port St. Joe!

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-07-2010 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito75 View Post
Hi,

I'm a gay male thinking about moving to South Beach. I've lived there a couple times in the past. I always loved it and thought it was where I ultimately wanted to live. I was there last winter and was shocked at how much its changed (after being away for about 3 years). Like everywhere in America, all these stupid Starbucks and chains and cookie cutter "luxury condos" everywhere. The biggest difference was that it seemed so much less gay. There were gay people there obviously but hardly any gay venues to go to. And i HATE all the hip-hop clubs that are there now. Anyway, what was great about southbeach, from a gay point of view, was that there was so much to do and everything was walkable. I don't understand what direction the area is going in now. Will it still remain a great place for gay people to live and play???? Is the economy still in the hole? Will it recover??? Any and all THOUGHTFUL comments welcome.
This article may be of some interest and may answer some of your questions ----> link

Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks. I've read this article in the past and dont really put much stock in it. Much more interested in the opinions and observations of real people who actually live in South Beach over an article that I believe is blowing things out of proportion. If you read the responses to that article, they are many people saying the article isnt acurrate.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito75 View Post
Thanks. I've read this article in the past and dont really put much stock in it. Much more interested in the opinions and observations of real people who actually live in South Beach over an article that I believe is blowing things out of proportion. If you read the responses to that article, they are many people saying the article isnt acurrate.
ummm ok, but maybe you should re read those comments, because nothing i have read says the article is inaccurate. Some people talk of being attacked, others talk of blaming the "black thugs" and others are saying the gays deserve it :S

Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 PM

470 posts, read 1,193,411 times
The truth, the truth, the truth is...

Well, on the hip hop thing, the Miami music scene is very diverse, and that includes Miami Beach (remember South Beach is in Miami Beach). Hip hop clubs and music events are everywhere in every city, Miami, NYC, Los Angeles, etc. In my opinion, from what I have seen, Miami Beach now is better than ever. There's even more to do and even more pedestrian-friendly (meaning you can walk everywhere). Like I have said before, Miami itself (the city) isn't exactly gay friendly but it isn't gay unfriendly either. You can live here and be fine and love everything and do everything and love life forever. Miami Beach on the other hand is gay friendly, but yes, there aren't as much gay people there now and there once was, but there are still gays there. You can live there and again the same as in Miami, but even more (if you are gay) except for that of course you don't have the skyline (but you can still view it from Miami Beach).

Miami Beach has the young to mid aged gay males, but Ft. Lauderdale has the old gay males.

Really if you want to decide between the two, this is the run down:

Miami Beach is all urban, pedestrian-friendly and you can walk eveywhere and do not need a car, but Ft. Lauderdale is suburbs and you need a car for everything.

Miami Beach if you want younger gay males, Ft. Lauderdale if you want old gay males.

Miami Beach if you want diversity, Ft. Lauderdale if you just want white males.

Ft. Lauderdale about an hour+ to Miami and further to Miami Beach, if you live in Miami Beach well you live there, and only a bridge away from Miami.

Ft. Lauderdale, nothing to do, all quiet, boring, too many restrictions, everything dies EARLY. Miami Beach...come on, don't need to put anything there lol, but of course Miami Beach also has many quiet places and areas, you can get what ever you want in Miami and Miami Beach.

Miami Beach everything to do, Ft. Lauderdale like I said, nothing to do.

Those are the true facts, you have to decide what you want and prefer.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
to answer the OP's question....Yes...but more assimilated into the mainstream than a typical gay neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 AM

71 posts, read 154,836 times
ive just moved to sobe and havent seen many gays at all. well less than i thought i would have

Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
^^^From what I have heard many gay people have moved north to Ft. Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami