Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 AM

528 posts, read 885,832 times

Advertisements

LOL, y'all make me laugh. Glad to know there are cherries, I could eat cherries (and all manner of berries) until I turn colors and my fingers are stained. That and apples are part of why I LOVE Washington. Cherry blossoms, and flaming leaves in the fall, and sweet, sweet cherries.

LOL... glad I'm not the only one who has to remember which way to pronounce pasties!

I'm part Austrian/Hungarian on the Jewish side. The Grandmother of one of our former foster daughters was German who married a Pole who passed, then she married an Hungarian with my Grandfather's last name. She laughed at the coincidence, and then asked if I liked mushrooms. That side of my family LOVES mushrooms. I will often eat them sauteed in butter on anything from omelettes to steaks to fish (hey, are bluegill overpopulated? I LOVE fresh fish, grew up fishing, my kids have been begging for years). She said for Hungarians, it's a huge cultural thing, people talk about it like some folks talk about politics. I mean, yeah, mushrooms! Yum! I think I must have some Hungarian blood or something, ya?

I forgot to look into liquor laws. CA you can buy darn near whenever, wherever (though not in Drive-thru liquor stores like some parts of Texas). OR has state-controlled liquor stores. WA has state run ones, which is a pain in the behind, because of course they're open government hours, and not a very interesting selection.

We love microbrews (big in OR/WA anyway). My husband's former boss used to brew award winning stuff, we've always wanted to do it ourselves but never had the devoted space to try.

Husband and I were talking about where does one learn to hunt? I used to be a pretty good shot with a little 22 as a kid, but it's been years. And fishing. My Dad bought my nearly 15 year old a pole 11 years ago. It's never been unwrapped. Yipes! Had trout and of course salmon, guess I'll have to look up some bluegill.

Was telling my husband, would really like to just get as small a place as we can right now and still have our horses, and buy a bigger piece of land ASAP.... With a nice creek/small river, maybe a small lake.... What fun. I miss going fishing as a kid.

They're coming to take pictures to list our house this weekend, hope it gets rented fast! I'm so ready to be on our way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
You'll be on your way soon enough...I know how i was when we were getting our stuff packed and ready to go, i was like a lil school girl all giddy. lol.

mmmm...and the apples are coming into season now around here....apple crisp, hot apple pie, lordy my mouth is watering just thinking about it. And the cherries...lord i seen cherry peanut butter for the first time when we first moved here...and then they have chocolate cherry peanut butter, i thought i died and went to heaven...oh wait, i kinda did cause i love michigan.

As for the hunting, i would think you could call the local dnr and they would be able to tell ya, heck i drove passed a church a couple of months ago and they were holding a hunters safety course. We take the kids fishing alot, its great.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 AM

217 posts, read 591,592 times
"mama food" in the U.P. of Michigan would include cudighi, which is a delicious spicy Italian sausage patty sandwich, served on a long hard hoagie roll, with mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce. The little bar in town here (Tino's) serves one of the best! We also buy the meat at any of the local grocery stores, and assemble them ourselves at home! Also, cudighi is soooooo good on pizza, especially at aforementioned bar!!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
If you will be in the Detroit area, there is a pasty shop in Southgate; they have several varieties including vegetarian, but I am not sure about sausage. Traditionally, pasties, which were brought to the U.P. by Cornish miners from England, and are not Finnish despite what some would tell you, are made with beef or lamb (in England). And in my opinion, they are not true pasties unless they have rutabagas along with potatoes, carrots, and onions.

Southgate also has a wonderful Hungarian restaurant, The Rhapsody. The csirke paprikas (chicken paprika) and the uborka salat (cucumber salad) are to die for. Lots of great desserts and pastries, but I never have room for any. BTW, my husband is 100% Hungarian and I don't know anyone in that family that likes mushrooms. There is a large Hungarian population who live Downriver.

As for muskrat...... when the French settlers first arrived about 300 years ago in SE Michigan they found it very difficult to find food. I am not sure I have ever heard a reason why, certainly game was abundent; perhaps it was the season in which they arrived. At any rate, they kept seeing this strange animal in the marshes that border the Detroit River and Lake Erie in what is now southern Wayne county and Monroe county. Since it swam, they reasoned that it must be some kind of fish. And since they were near starvation, they petitioned and recieved a special dispensation to eat this warm-blooded "fish" on Fridays.

Can't speak to the bluegill question, you might better bone up on catching flying carp! lol

Check the MI DNR website regarding hunting. Many of the seasons have been extended, I think some now have two seasons. My brother works for the DNR; and I can't keep up with the changes.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:31 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyup67 View Post
"mama food" in the U.P. of Michigan would include cudighi, which is a delicious spicy Italian sausage patty sandwich, served on a long hard hoagie roll, with mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce. The little bar in town here (Tino's) serves one of the best! We also buy the meat at any of the local grocery stores, and assemble them ourselves at home! Also, cudighi is soooooo good on pizza, especially at aforementioned bar!!
The best cudighi I had was up in Big bay , at the Hotel. Most places do not do well making it .... As far as pasties , there is little doubt that Jean & Kays is the best in Marquette, they ship world wide also.
What is always a mystery to me is the folks who do not want rutabaga's on it ? Its not a pasty unless its got rutabaga , in my opinion. Now gravy or no gravy...thats optional., some like ketchup also.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:13 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
A pasty has to have 'baga's in it. I thought that was one of the 10 commandants... right around #2 or #3 .

Fishing? After traveling all over this beautiful, big Country I have come to the conclusion that Michigan has some of the best fishing to be found. Sure you can get some huge saltwater fish along the coasts, but most are out of reach of shore anglers. Yes you can get some species we catch here, a lot bigger in other states, but the variety here is amazing. You can go for bluegill (one of the best eating fish there is IMHO) in one spot of a lake, then move a bit for some big Northern Pike, move again for walleye, and during the Fall or Spring go for Salmon or Steelhead in some lakes. Some of our best fishing is reached from either river bank or shoreline. One of my uncles regularly catches 75+ King Salmon every Fall, usually he goes out about 6:30 AM and is done fishing by 8:00 AM so he has the rest of the day to do other things. Usually goes out 3 or 4 times a week while they are running and hasn't owned a boat in decades. All of his are bright silver and fresh from Lake Michigan which is less than a mile downstream from where he fishes from the riverbank.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 PM

362 posts, read 695,822 times
Got to have rutabaga's in it.

[SIZE=+3]Summer Break for Local Baking[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]

Online ordering will resume by Labor Day[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]Find Pasty Central pasties at:
Econo Foods, Houghton
The Jampot, Jacobs Falls
Fort Wilkins, Copper Harbor
Hilltop Restaurant, L'Anse

Also: Lawry's Pasty Shop, Your Pasty Source since 1946.

Barb's Pasties & Pizza - Clawson, MI

you can always hop over to Pasty.com's Pasty Central to buy pasties online. Pasty Central is an employee-owned company in Calumet, Michigan that has shipped over 300,000 pasties. They also have great photos and links for the UP.

I like slow cooked navy bean soup, made in a huge cast iron kettle at a antique tracter show mostly. A nice hunk of fresh baked home made bread and butter goes very well with it.

Then there is the sute pudding.

Al

Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM

362 posts, read 695,822 times
Forgot to mention you can at times buy them at
WAL MART, but they are made in Florance Wisconsin, they come in either beef or pork.

Mackinaw Pastie and Cookie Co.

Jean Kays Pasties & Subs

One Pound Pastys Ready to Eat Pasties Traditional Passtee Heat N Eat Home Made Pasty (http://www.pastys.com/shipping-info.html - broken link)

Al

Old 09-03-2010, 02:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Forgot to mention you can at times buy them at
WAL MART, but they are made in Florance Wisconsin, they come in either beef or pork.

Mackinaw Pastie and Cookie Co.

Jean Kays Pasties & Subs

One Pound Pastys Ready to Eat Pasties Traditional Passtee Heat N Eat Home Made Pasty (http://www.pastys.com/shipping-info.html - broken link)

Al
Why would you go the the dreaded Wal mart for pasties ? Thats anti-Yooper. Support your local merchant , especially when buying local made products. , Jean Kays makes on an average day 300 pasties, best in the U.P., or at the lest in Marquette.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 PM

45 posts, read 95,848 times
Yes, Jean Kays is right up there for best pasties. The old Brown Derby in Ish had good pasties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan