Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
It's reckless driving because you're ignoring opportunities to merge in order to take advantage of the situation for personal gain by passing people. You fail to merge and create a reckless situation at the end of the lane. They give you a long time to merge for a reason -- you shouldn't be at the end of a lane with nowhere else to go but to oncoming traffic. You don't have the right-of-way at that point. If somebody feels sorry for you and let's you in -- they've stopped traffic in that lane to the detriment of everybody else. You're intentionally ignoring merge notices -- this should be reckless driving. Not allowing some idiot who just passed a half mile of traffic to get to the front of the line is simply not allowing him to profit from a bone-head move. There will always be somebody who will feel sorry for you -- probably thinking you just missed the signs.

The intention of merge notices is to give people in the closed lane an opportunity to change lanes without stopping traffic in the open lane. The closed lane is not supposed to be a separate queue at the very end (you seem to think that it is). This does nothing to ease the congestion. It actually slows traffic significantly more because of the stop/go nature of merging at this point. The people who merge early do so while still moving so traffic simply slows to allow it. Avoiding the notices stops traffic and pisses people off.

Laying on the horn behind somebody like you described did not make things better. You just made a stressful situation worse. I think after the first minute I'd have put my hazard lights on and exited thso e car to find out who the idiot was behind me.

so instead of moving your car, driving to the next exit like a safe driver should, you would actually put your car i park???!!! Thereby EXACERBATING a situation that you ALONE have created and perpetuate???

Do you also put the car in reverse when you blow by your exit and expect everyone else to avoid hitting you?

[I can't believe I have to say this]

There is no stopping on the highway unless there is traffic congestion or car emergency. You don't stop because you have missed your chance to change lanes or miss an exit. YOU DON'T STOP.

And sorry, I disagree with you. If the left lane is open for a long distance, I don't see the problem with someone driving in that lane. I will agree that you should not wait until the orange barrels are at your front bumper. But sometimes people merge way early. And that is their choice... just like it is the choice of someone else to remain in the left lane until the neon arrow is actually in view. Some people will merge when the first sign shows up "left lane closed 2 miles ahead".

Old 11-13-2010, 10:35 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
In your anecdote you said you were already at a dead stop behind a car that couldn't merge and you blasted your horn for 4 minutes -- I'd have confronted anybody that did that to me. So, no I wouldn't put my car in reverse if I missed an exit or put my car in park for no reason on a highway. Talk about putting words in somebody's mouth...

This thread is about failure to merge when alerted to a traffic condition where your lane is closed and trying to cut in front of as many people as you can before your lane closes. How can you not think that is wrong? Merging is not about creating a shortcut queue -- it's about getting into a working lane as soon as possible so you don't stop traffic at the closure point. Most people thankfully get it. The jerks shouldn't expect people to eagerly let them cut in front at the end of the lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
[/b]
so instead of moving your car, driving to the next exit like a safe driver should, you would actually put your car i park???!!! Thereby EXACERBATING a situation that you ALONE have created and perpetuate???

Do you also put the car in reverse when you blow by your exit and expect everyone else to avoid hitting you?

Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 AM

217 posts, read 591,664 times
Gonna go out on a limb here and say that you need to find a new boyfriend....one that does not need anger management!!!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 AM

336 posts, read 908,546 times
Quote:
Since you are splitting the VOLUME of cars into 2 lanes instead of 1, BOTH lanes would travel at posted speeds for a longer distance. Therefore instead of being 2 miles of traffic jam, there would only be 1.7 miles (etc). Shorter traffic logs are better, right?
Not really because now instead of just having the 2-3 cars that ignored the perpare to merge signs you now have 20+ cars trying to get over into the open lane. Even if traffic in the open lane is moving slow at least it's moving. This article suggests stopping even normally flowing traffic all together and treating it similar to a four way stop creating a bottle neck effect.

If traffic is light and moving normally merging late shouldn't be problem because someone can merge into the space between cars without disrupting the flow of traffic. But in heavy traffic the space between cars is not wide enough to safely pull in front of another vehicle without causing that driver to slow or stop disrupting the flow of traffic.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
In your anecdote you said you were already at a dead stop behind a car that couldn't merge and you blasted your horn for 4 minutes -- I'd have confronted anybody that did that to me. So, no I wouldn't put my car in reverse if I missed an exit or put my car in park for no reason on a highway. Talk about putting words in somebody's mouth...

This thread is about failure to merge when alerted to a traffic condition where your lane is closed and trying to cut in front of as many people as you can before your lane closes. How can you not think that is wrong? Merging is not about creating a shortcut queue -- it's about getting into a working lane as soon as possible so you don't stop traffic at the closure point. Most people thankfully get it. The jerks shouldn't expect people to eagerly let them cut in front at the end of the lane.
You are missing it. This was not anecdote. This really happened.

Me and one other car was at a complete stop on the highway. Why? Because the car ahead of me would NOT drive on. He insisted on trying to merge to the right lane. for 4 minutes. I am stuck behind him, trying to get by safely. I can not because traffic in the lane to the left of me is going 60+ mph. Also cars are coming up fast behind ME and realizing at the last second that my car is stopped and slam on the brakes and (thankfully) get over. If someone was going to be rear ended, it would have been me and my 3 year old daughter sitting in the back seat. Not the man ahead of me who is stubbornly trying to get over, not the people in the far right lane who refused to let the man in. ME who did nothing but get caught behind the idiot. The laying on the horn was to attempt to try to get the stubborn driver ahead of me to realize "hey, I am stopping traffic, I can just drive up 40 feet to the next exit and get off and go around" Or it was to alert the drivers in the right lane "hey that woman is stuck behind this idiot... let me let him in, so that this woman with her child doesn't get creamed by a inattentive driver"

Your attitude gives the impression that you condone blocking traffic and putting other drivers in harms way. I bet you are the pimple on the azz of progress in your neck of the woods.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyup67 View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here and say that you need to find a new boyfriend....one that does not need anger management!!!
married him and he did get anger management. This was 15 years ago. Age helps.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:50 PM

362 posts, read 695,901 times
" for 4 minutes. I am stuck behind him, trying to get by safely. I can not because traffic in the lane to the left of me is going 60+ mph."

Some thing stinks in Denmark here. Your mad that this fellow is stoped in front of you and traffic is doing 60 MPH so you can not move?

Where was the fellow supposed to go? If you can't move how was he to move? DA.

Al

Old 11-14-2010, 01:13 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
It's a clarification. None of my grandparents were rude but both men were southern farmers or, as you might say, rednecks.
No personal attacks Homogenizer.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
You are missing it. This was not anecdote. This really happened.

Me and one other car was at a complete stop on the highway. Why? Because the car ahead of me would NOT drive on. He insisted on trying to merge to the right lane. for 4 minutes. I am stuck behind him, trying to get by safely. I can not because traffic in the lane to the left of me is going 60+ mph. Also cars are coming up fast behind ME and realizing at the last second that my car is stopped and slam on the brakes and (thankfully) get over. If someone was going to be rear ended, it would have been me and my 3 year old daughter sitting in the back seat. Not the man ahead of me who is stubbornly trying to get over, not the people in the far right lane who refused to let the man in. ME who did nothing but get caught behind the idiot. The laying on the horn was to attempt to try to get the stubborn driver ahead of me to realize "hey, I am stopping traffic, I can just drive up 40 feet to the next exit and get off and go around" Or it was to alert the drivers in the right lane "hey that woman is stuck behind this idiot... let me let him in, so that this woman with her child doesn't get creamed by a inattentive driver"

Your attitude gives the impression that you condone blocking traffic and putting other drivers in harms way. I bet you are the pimple on the azz of progress in your neck of the woods.
No personal attacks kcam. It's a good thing this thread does not represent real life, or we'd have a slew of road rage going on.

Should I leave it open, or close it?

Old 11-14-2010, 04:11 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
Close it. It's a rehash of an old thread. Most people realize that what the OP is condoning is wrong. I've been called the "pimple on the azz of progress" in an ad hominem attack and attributed to ridiculous conclusions like I condone blocking traffic when the advocated course of action by using the blocked lane right as far as possible does just that. Some people want to do what's just good for them at the moment and screw everybody else. Merge warnings are done for a reason. Simply ignoring them in the end just slows down traffic as a whole. The OP knows this but wants to have somebody condone his actions like in the linked article. I'd argue with the article's finding in general -- in specific situations where the length of a single queue would cause other traffic impediments -- it's probably right.

I have to admit though that I do find it gratifying when somebody does that and I end up passing them by because nobody will allow them to merge as a result of their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan