Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 AM

30 posts, read 107,292 times

Advertisements

I have been to Harrison Mi on a few occasions, and I really like it there. My job in Detroit went away and I still have a few years before I can retire.
I have been considering the Harrison area and was wondering if there are any decent paying welding jobs there or if there is a need for a small welding shop. I have been doing this work for 35 years.
If anyone knows anything about this please let me know.
Thanks for your time, George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
George from the free press george?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Yes

Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Cool Workin in Michigan it ain't!

Well what is going on!

We talked on the phone shortly after the article was run in the Freep.

My wife and I came across your posting on CL and well..

You had found a job and we never chatted after...

We are now in North Carolina..been there since February when I got laid off.

The son-n-law is trying to make a living as a welder in Michigan (no certifications) and is bouncing from temp job to temp job...

Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Well Hello!
I seem to remember that now. Yea I landed a good paying job was there for about 13 months then the axe came down again. I guess I must have done a good job for them as I was the very last one in my department to go and some of the guys had some time built up.
I talk to them on a regular basis and they keep telling me that as soon as they get some work in I'll be there.
As much as I'd like to wait around for them, it just don't pay the bills. For the short time I was back to work I saved as much as I could, but that will run out in about 1 more month.
I sure don't ever want to be in the position I was in before, that should never happen to anyone, and trust me, I'm scared to death that it could happen again.
My wife has not gotten any better, just the opposite, and with her meds running about 6/700.00 a month without insurance, and the house payment alone, has been eating everything up,Plus!
She is still fighting for her disability, going on 3 years now.
I'm willing to relocate to just about anywhere for work. God willing everything will again fall in place.
Good to hear from Ya!
George.

Last edited by fabman_52; 06-02-2009 at 07:38 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 PM

I am just amazed that this is happening in our community. (well my ex-community) I pray the best will come your way and your wife is able to settle her financial situation.

That will be a great relief I think.

Take care and keep the faith..

If you ever get to the Raleigh area drop me a DM and we will do some great SEAFOOD...

Expecting the best of everything for you and yours!

zman

Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Hey zman, thanks and back at ya!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:10 PM

32 posts, read 77,694 times
Try getting in touch with Stage Right in Clare. I think they're doing well. Also try Morbark and Bandit Industries in Winn. Also see ads for a place in Alma or St. Louis but cant remember the name. Look at the Morning Sun newspaper's classifieds. Harrison would not be my first choice. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
harrison is a good place to live not much for welding jobs here but i think a welding shop would be a good thing to have here.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,223 times
Even though this thread is over a year old I'll throw out my two cents. Having lived in the Roscommon-Houghton Lake area, I cannot imagine a place worse than Harrison. Have you ever watched the movie Deliverance? Harrison is one of the dumpiest and dirtiest towns I've ever seen. The biggest attraction in Harrison was Airport Auto which last I checked looked like the city finally got them to clean it up. It's a poor town and having worked in Houghton Lake and having my customers mostly from Harrison, they are the dirtiest people I have ever meant. They really do not smell pleasant. Clare county is also one of the poorest counties in the state. Jobs are almost non existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan