Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM

358 posts, read 1,062,823 times

Advertisements

What are some jobs that are good jobs in Michigan right now where there are openings and where the pay isn't too bad?

I'll start with:

Electric Lineman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:13 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,733 times
Web Developer
Database Administrator
...basically anything in Information Technology

Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Here's about 100 at Spectrum Health right now:

https://www.spectrum-health.org/Jobs/ETS/results.aspx? (broken link)

36 at Saint Mary's Health Care:

Careers

26 at Metro Health:

Careers at Metro Health | Metro Health

They aren't all health professions. Some are HR, tech, etc..

Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Healthcare is the only one I know of that's growing. I wish I'd gotten a nursing degree instead of a teaching degree.

But, sadly, even healthcare will cut back if this economy doesn't turn around soon.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM

38 posts, read 130,115 times
Hmmm, I wonder who is trying to be more helpful? The guy posting sites with potential jobs or the guy calling him an idiot for trying to help?
Seems simple to me, although I am not sure if you really get it Michiganpox, you don't seem to be able to read very well. Right at the end of his post he states they aren't all health professions. Of course most of them will be, but what do you expect - they are hospital systems. They are just examples.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM

38 posts, read 130,115 times
This seems to be a decent site for searchers, but I will admit to not having used it myself to find a job

Michigan Innovators - Find a Job

Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamDoc32 View Post
Hmmm, I wonder who is trying to be more helpful? The guy posting sites with potential jobs or the guy calling him an idiot for trying to help?
Seems simple to me, although I am not sure if you really get it Michiganpox, you don't seem to be able to read very well. Right at the end of his post he states they aren't all health professions. Of course most of them will be, but what do you expect - they are hospital systems. They are just examples.
Thank you FamDoc32. I was just trying to be helpful, and I knew doing a quick search I'd find jobs at all three hospital systems in GR.

And if people need to retool for new economy jobs, then that's what they need to do. I know times are tough, but my wife's professional services firm had a record year last year (with a lot in the pipeline for this year), and the Michigan-based company I consult for is growing (doubling) this year, opening 8 new offices in multiple locations throughout the U.S.. I had to learn new skills, connect with a lot of new people, and step out of my comfort zone this past year to be successful, but I did it, and we had our best year ever.

Anyway, that was just some of the jobs I could find in 10 minutes of searching.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 PM

39 posts, read 122,902 times
Hi Michigan Refugee here,
I'm not a Michigan basher and support all of you in your search for a job. I check the Michigan forums often to find about what's going on at home that you never find printed in the news. Hemlock Semi-Conductor around the Hemlock and St. Charles area is expanding. You don't need a degree for all of the jobs but I'm sure some technical training is required. My sister's brother-in law was recently hired there. As for me,....my family and I were forced to leave Michigan Aug. 2007. We couldn't hang on any longer. Our home in Michigan is rented by family of family with the hopes that maybe we will return some day?? I'm currrently living in Fayetteville North Carolina where I've been employed as a 6th grade mathematics teacher. I'm in my second year teaching here. I would welcome hearing from any of you.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
For obvious reasons, social work is going strong right now. You are also going to see jobs related to the strong fields, like medical, that do NOT require a nursing degree. Every medical office and hospital needs people in other positions like receptionists, billers, dieticians, physical therapists, coders, custodians, customer service reps, things like that. A lot of these jobs that do require training -- like phlebotomist or medical assistant -- take a few weeks, not a couple years of study. The Michigan Works! office in your county can help you not only find those jobs, but hook you up with free training programs.

Pharmacies will train you to be a pharmacy tech and several of the big chains will also send you to pharmacy school for free.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
I just took a gander at one randomly-Googled jobs site. This one: Find a Job in Michigan!

It says there are currently 10,003 jobs open in Detroit, 3,403 in Ann Arbor, 4,464 in Ypsi, a whopping 10,014 in Royal Oak, an astounding 9,432 in teeny Pontiac, 9,759 in economically-depressed Warren. Some of these jobs obviously overlap -- I saw the same engineering job posted in two metro-area cities for instance -- but not all of them are nursing jobs and not all of them are low-paid or lousy. For every Christmas-season sales job I saw several permanent positions. For crying out loud, there are 3,192 jobs open in Brighton, MI. It has about 6 people there.

Now I know there are a lot more job-seekers lately than jobs, but this is a huge improvement over a couple of years ago when you'd turn to the want ads and find NOTHING. there'd be 18 nursing positions, 5 pharmacists needed, 2 brain surgeons and then a lot of hell jobs doing cold-calling for magazine sales, commission only. It can be hard to see that things are looking up, but they really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan