Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 14,196 times

Advertisements

If anyone is having any ideas about relocating to Michigan, think twice. This message could save you a lot of time, energy, and money. Find another place to relocate to. If you have family here, tell them to run as far away from Michigan as they can get! Michigan has been a time bomb waiting to explode, and it has done just that. The economy here is dismal to say the least. Unemplyment, foreclosures, taxes, crime, all are at an all time high! Thanks to the BIG 3 auto makers, & corrupt politicians, Michigan's economy wont see the light of day anytime soon! This is just simply a miserable place, and because of the dismal state Michigan is in, so are the people! Just about everyone is miserable here. Most people wake up in the morning scared to death that by the end of the day some wont have jobs. The fear that your lives will take that financial turn that people have watched happen to most people we know. Right now, relocating to Michigan for any reason is a mistake. BUT, that is just one mans opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,886 times
Well, we just got relocated here BECAUSE of my husband's VERY stable job, so I don't agree with your post 100%. I do understand that most people aren't as lucky as we are, though, and I know that's tough on them.

I might also add that I think it depends on WHERE you live, as to how "depressed" the people are. I'm in W. Bloomfield and have spent time in Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham, as well as Royal Oak. I haven't heard one doom and gloomer here, so far. My neighbors are all fantastic and nice and happy. I went to a hair salon in Birmingham yesterday, and the guy that did my hair had nothing but nice things to say.

SO...while I know that MI is not at the top of most people's list (it certainly wasn't on mine, lol), for me, it certainly isn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:59 PM

136 posts, read 999,275 times
Thumbs up Thanks for adding some perspective

While my wife and I will be relocating out of MI, it is not with glee or with spite. Actually, as the time approaches, I feel a bit forlorn! However, we need to pursue opportunities that this state can not afford at this time. I do think (IMHO) that this state is in a rough state and going to get worse before it gets better.
Nonetheless, I am happy to hear that YOU are happy in your (albeit forced) relocation TO MI. My best wishes to you and yours! Most of all, thanks for adding some perspective!

Cheers,
-TM

Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
Everyone in my extended family here in MI is doing very well thank you. I was originally put out of work in 2001 but I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and switched to a field with good stability. Some of us have had to tighten our financial belts a notch or two but we're all healthy, happy and have a roof over our heads. We do not fear losing our jobs or homes, but we all have back-up plans in place just because everyone should.
Not everyone or everyplace in MI is in as dire straits as the original poster makes it out to be!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 PM

106 posts, read 414,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganstinks View Post
If anyone is having any ideas about relocating to Michigan, think twice. This message could save you a lot of time, energy, and money. Find another place to relocate to. If you have family here, tell them to run as far away from Michigan as they can get! Michigan has been a time bomb waiting to explode, and it has done just that. The economy here is dismal to say the least. Unemplyment, foreclosures, taxes, crime, all are at an all time high! Thanks to the BIG 3 auto makers, & corrupt politicians, Michigan's economy wont see the light of day anytime soon! This is just simply a miserable place, and because of the dismal state Michigan is in, so are the people! Just about everyone is miserable here. Most people wake up in the morning scared to death that by the end of the day some wont have jobs. The fear that your lives will take that financial turn that people have watched happen to most people we know. Right now, relocating to Michigan for any reason is a mistake. BUT, that is just one mans opinion.
LOL! I think some people are missing the fact that this is obviously a parody. Well done.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 PM

146 posts, read 640,939 times
khfar,
That Michigan Stinks post is just a joke, but it doesn't surprise me that you would take it seriously.
I have never seen such back stabbing from a poster in my life. Every since you bashed Michigan before you even moved here I've been interested to read your musings. I'll say one thing. You're a Texan through and through. It's hilarious to see you write about how nice your Michigan neighbors are in one breath, then turn right around and belittle and degrade Michigan in nearly every one of your Texas posts.
-Telling how unfriendly everyone here is and how horrible us Northerners are. And don't forget the sound effects. You can't mention Michigan without inserting an "Ick" "Yuck" or gross. You go on and on about how you can't wait to get out of this wretched state and that's fine. You're welcome to your opinion. Just please drop the Texas-Two-Face because up here, as they say in the Lone Star State, -that dog don't hunt.

Last edited by Wabbit; 07-11-2007 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 AM

38 posts, read 196,483 times
Maybe it's just me...but I am (like my name states) Michigan born and Michigan proud....I unfortunately do not live there...but would sell a kidney to come home...LOL...I understand some ppl have very serious economic and financial problems there,but I don't think that's a reason to set off a panic bomb statewide and bash the state as a whole or its residents for staying in the only place that is home to some...I am on my way to visit family in 2 weeks,and am going to actively look into relocation and jobs in the Lansing and surrounding areas....but I will not waiver in my quest to listen to dribble about running for my life or stay where I am as the financial and economic problems here are a continuous struggle here as well......regards,michiganbornandproud

Old 07-12-2007, 07:59 AM

178 posts, read 701,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganstinks View Post
BUT, that is just one mans opinion.
It's two mens' now.

I agree - Michigan is only okay if you're stopping by to go to college full-time and leave. ANything more is a BAD, BAD idea.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
khfar,
That Michigan Stinks post is just a joke, but it doesn't surprise me that you would take it seriously.
I have never seen such back stabbing from a poster in my life. Every since you bashed Michigan before you even moved here I've been interested to read your musings. I'll say one thing. You're a Texan through and through. It's hilarious to see you write about how nice your Michigan neighbors are in one breath, then turn right around and belittle and degrade Michigan in nearly every one of your Texas posts.
-Telling how unfriendly everyone here is and how horrible us Northerners are. And don't forget the sound effects. You can't mention Michigan without inserting an "Ick" "Yuck" or gross. You go on and on about how you can't wait to get out of this wretched state and that's fine. You're welcome to your opinion. Just please drop the Texas-Two-Face because up here, as they say in the Lone Star State, -that dog don't hunt.

Do you like me that much, that you feel the need to spy on me, on the TX boards? If you don't like what I have to say, then DON'T read the TX boards. Why else would you be over there? Do you live in TX? Yes, MI is different from TX. No doubt about it. But I'm trying to make the best of it here. And you are correct: I can't wait to get out of this state, especially when I read nasty posts like yours. Sorry dude, I'm homesick. And I don't owe anyone any kind of explanation or apology for that. From what I've seen in your posts, you CLEARLY enjoy picking fights with people and it just isn't going to happen with me. Kindly leave me alone in the future.

Last edited by khfar; 07-12-2007 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
Can you guys help me? All of my family has moved to Michigan over the last few years, and we all love it here. Everyone loves the climate, the people, the culture, the schools, better healthcare...

But since you guys are just so adamant about how horrible it is here, I feel inclined to believe anonymous people I will never meet. You are all so emphatically anti-Michigan, I feel compelled to not believe my own eyes and experiences over your posts!

So where should we move? We are goint to leave behind our families and jobs, but I'll bet we are just like that family that moved out of Pompeii just in time the day before the volcano erupted...

Help please, in your infinite wisdom. Where have you flourished since leaving this pit of despair called Michigan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan