Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times

Advertisements

I think actually I'll try to say good things about the positive things happening in Detroit. It actually pisses me off when I hear people from outside Michigan bad-mouthing Detroit. Is it time for us Michiganians to stand up for our big brother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I think actually I'll try to say good things about the positive things happening in Detroit. It actually pisses me off when I hear people from outside Michigan bad-mouthing Detroit. Is it time for us Michiganians to stand up for our big brother?
I like this idea.

I was talking to some people from the Boston area a few months ago, and the subject of Detroit came up. They asked how bad it really was, and I basically gave the standard answer of "the city is terrible, but the suburbs are nice."

I sorta regretted that afterwards. It was a good chance to stand up for Detroit, but I didn't do it. I think I will try to be positive from now on. It's easy to pile on Detroit and go along with the crowd. It takes more guts to actually stand up for the place and deal with the skeptical comments.

The truth is, although I didn't grow up anywhere near Detroit, every memory I have of going to that city is a good one. Going to the state fairgrounds with my mom to horse shows as a kid, Tiger Stadium, riding around with my dad listening to sports talk on WJR, the Detroit Zoo, a museum trip in elementary school, watching high school football finals at Ford Field, etc, etc. Not one negative experience. If I say something bad about Detroit, it's not really based on anything I've experienced. Which I'm guessing is the case with many people that rip on the D.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
If I say something bad about Detroit, it's not really based on anything I've experienced. Which I'm guessing is the case with many people that rip on the D.
You may have a point there. back in the 1980s, I spent a few years traveling around the country (trucker) and my opinion of Detroit was pretty bad, mostly because I primarily saw a couple of nasty truck stops and warehouse districts. I wasn't living in Michigan then.

Now that I live here...I don't go to Detroit a whole lot...but my opinion of the city is a lot better than it used to be! I've walked and driven around Greektown, Corktown and been to the Eastern Market a bunch of times, and the area around Wayne State. I'd love to go urban spelunking there (exploring abandoned buildings; have done it in Gary and Flint) if I could find someone brave enough to go with me LOL.

I'm not a super-frequent poster here but I don't think I've ever dissed Detroit.

I have noticed a trend in Michigan (being a non-Michigander) - people in this state, in general, appear to be extremely negative about their own state. Yet, they don't leave unless they have to. It's not just me; I've heard similar opinions expressed by other relative newcomers to Michigan. It's sort of weird.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I like this idea.

I was talking to some people from the Boston area a few months ago, and the subject of Detroit came up. They asked how bad it really was, and I basically gave the standard answer of "the city is terrible, but the suburbs are nice."

I sorta regretted that afterwards. It was a good chance to stand up for Detroit, but I didn't do it. I think I will try to be positive from now on. It's easy to pile on Detroit and go along with the crowd. It takes more guts to actually stand up for the place and deal with the skeptical comments.

The truth is, although I didn't grow up anywhere near Detroit, every memory I have of going to that city is a good one. Going to the state fairgrounds with my mom to horse shows as a kid, Tiger Stadium, riding around with my dad listening to sports talk on WJR, the Detroit Zoo, a museum trip in elementary school, watching high school football finals at Ford Field, etc, etc. Not one negative experience. If I say something bad about Detroit, it's not really based on anything I've experienced. Which I'm guessing is the case with many people that rip on the D.
If Detroit goes down, we all go down. There ain't no two ways about it.

Plus, I do know there are really passionate people in Detroit who are trying to make a difference and trying to change perceptions, and things are getting better. Should I make their work harder?

And if we all took the time to correct people from other states and their misconceptions, it'd go a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan