Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM

22 posts, read 38,616 times

Advertisements

Should I say I live in Detroit even if I don't technically live "in" Detroit? I am in Highland Township about 35 miles North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:44 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timely View Post
Should I say I live in Detroit even if I don't technically live "in" Detroit? I am in Highland Township about 35 miles North.
You have probably noticed that people often say they're from Detroit even if they're from the AREA. Detroit is not just the city limits. Some people are proud of the influence it has had on the world, others are not.
If you think about it, Detroit really consists of its borders, its migrations, its economic reach, its influence. This is growing by the way! Check this out:
Cities: Capital for the New Megalopolis - TIME
It would also depend upon distance - If you're in Milford or Holly you wouldn't say I'm from Detroit, but in L.A. you could get away with it. Kid Rock says he's from Detroit and gets no argument. If you feel "connected" at all, go for it!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
I live about 35 southwest of Detroit, and I don't say that I'm from Detroit, not because I'm ashamed of it, because I actually think it's kind of cool to be from Detroit, but because I'm just not technically from Detroit. If I say that I'm from Detroit then the next thing you know, people are asking about places and things that I know nothing about and assuming that I do. "So, is Slows BBQ open late during the week?" "If I take Grand River to Livernois and turn right, will that take me to such and such neighborhood?" Huh???? That kind of thing, and I have no idea.

My husband sometimes tells people that he's from Toledo, since we are actually closer to that city, which makes me cringe, lol. I'd much rather be identified with Detroit and all that that conjures up, both good and bad, than to be identified with Toledo.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Maybe you should just cite the nearest town!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 AM

22 posts, read 38,616 times
Usually when asked I say I live in Oakland County.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
If you are proud of Detroit in some way, then by all means go ahead. On vacation, however, I'm sick of hearing "I feel sorry for you" and "things must really be tough there nowadays" whenever someone asks where we are from, so I usually say we live near Windsor, Ontario. Windsor may be the armpit of Canada but not too many people in America know that. The one exception to this rule was when we were in the Hamptons last year; there, we were from "just north of Grosse Pointe;" they still know Grosse Pointe there.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
My thought is...unless you live in the city of Detroit, you're not really being truthful by telling people you live in the city. Why not "the Detroit metro area" or something like that?

Personally it depends on who's asking, for me. If it's someone from the area who knows all the smaller cities, I'll say I live in Mt Morris. If it's someone who doesn't know the area, I say "just north of Flint" because everyone knows where Flint is but few non-residents can point out Mt Morris on the map. I have to admit that when I lived in Flint for almost 6 years, I disliked telling people that because of the comments and preconceptions about the city....Flint doesn't have the "gritty coolness quotient" that Detroit does!

I would definitely prefer to ientify with Detroit than with Toledo. Or Gary IN. Those are some miserable cities. I've done "urban spelunking" in both.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Grosse Pointe has had some publicity so people know about it. If you say you're from a nice suburb like, say, Huntington Woods people will ask "where's that?" Then you have to explain!
What if someone commutes to the Detroit area on business, would that make a difference?
I'm so confused!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan