Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,334 times

Advertisements

Anyone fly out of here? I am taking trip to Fla. and flying out from here. Never been to this airport. How is parking? Do you have to walk to terminals from there or is there shuttles? Is it a far walk? Is it confusing or easy to navigate where you need to go?

Is there places to grab a bite to eat while you wait to get on your flight?

Anything I need to know/do?

Any tips?

Thanks my Michigan friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 02:59 PM

183 posts, read 610,033 times
We love Bishop Airport! We have family in the Ft Myers area, and AirTran has a direct flight. The airport is small and easy to find and navigate. If you park in long-term parking, there is a shuttle bus that cruises the lot picking up ppl to go over to the main terminal. They are so good, one time I barely had time to get my stuff together in the car and the bus was there. I had to wave her off to make another loop so I could finish eating my apple! They also have cool quick start power packs you can borrow to start your car if you have a dead battery when you return (speaking from experience).

Here is a link to the airport website: Bishop International Airport: Flint, Michigan

Oh, they have a nice snack bar/drink bar area in the terminal, but you could also find something off the highway pretty easily too.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:41 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
Love Bishop Airport~much preferred over Detroit for landing, getting a rental car and getting to destination. Preferred airport would be Lansing, but it usually costs twice as much to fly in to there from my home airport. Bishop is a good compromise.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM

76 posts, read 122,080 times
Ditto the comments above. The airport is super easy to navigate, plenty of parking with quick shuttle service to the terminal. It's about as easy and no frills as you can get.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,334 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
Bishop is the best airport in Michigan. It's worth the small price penalty over Metropolitan. My last few flights have been out of Metropolitan; what a rotten, depressing place. Hanging out in the old terminal at Metro I'd have thought I was about to fly Aeroflot. Even the new terminal isn't that impressive, if you ask me.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Bishop is the best airport in Michigan. It's worth the small price penalty over Metropolitan. My last few flights have been out of Metropolitan; what a rotten, depressing place. Hanging out in the old terminal at Metro I'd have thought I was about to fly Aeroflot. Even the new terminal isn't that impressive, if you ask me.
Really? When I was at Detroit Metro in October it seemed extremely clean, bright, new, and modern, and had a fancy tram thing that I rode just for fun. I flew to Boston and the airport there was definitely not as nice. Did we go to the same airport?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
There's just something about the new terminal that I don't like compared to other airports. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but one thing I still think Detroit got wrong compared to some others are the shopping and dining options compared to some other airports. Two trips ago to Las Vegas, I had a stopover in Philadelphia going and a stopover in Phoenix coming back, and all three of those airports had more going on for shopping and dining. The new terminal at Metropolitan looks nice but it doesn't have as much...maybe they're not done yet, I seem to remember some empty storefronts.

I think the old terminal closed, but I'm not sure. That one was a true dump.

The other bummer about Metro is coming back from somewhere and driving away from the airport on all the potholed roads. Makes me feel really welcome. (I'm getting a bit too anti-Detroit for my own good, so I'll shut up now.)

Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
I would fly out of Bishop for every trip I take if I could. Small, clean, convenient, non-chaotic, very close to Detroit. Parking rates are excellent compared to the big airports. Car rental is lickety split. They just renovated the terminal bar area and put in an extra food outlet.....it's pretty nice. If there is a hangup, it would be that you can't get non-stop flights to a lot of places, but it's still a wonderful alternative to DTW. I'm usually flying to Atlanta, GA to see family when I go out of Bishop, and there are non stops to and from there, so I love it.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
The new terminals at Metro are considered by many.....including me..... to be the best in the country. They were long overdue, but once they became reality it was worth the wait. It was like going from Beirut to Broadway when they opened. So an aiport has to double as a department store now in order to be impressive? Don't think so.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 01-31-2011 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan