Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The deer are yarded up because of deep snow. Most of the state now has a deep snow pack at this point and deer always yard up when conditions get this way. I saw them in a field on my way home from work, must have been at least 30 or more of them. When they are yarded up they are also less spread out meaning less people see them. If you do see them you will see lots of them. When the snow melts you will begin to see them on your property again.
Man, are they ever yarding up. On the way home last night when driving through a little villa (Horton Bay) I had to bring my jeep to a complete halt as a herd of 20+ deer were slowly crossing the road. They looked more like cattle than deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Man, are they ever yarding up. On the way home last night when driving through a little villa (Horton Bay) I had to bring my jeep to a complete halt as a herd of 20+ deer were slowly crossing the road. They looked more like cattle than deer.
Definition? What in heaven's name is "yarding up"?

(puts on dunce cap and waits patiently in corner)

Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM

528 posts, read 885,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
idw, I enjoy your posts.

Sun up and sun down, for sure. I'm too urban now to have deer in my back yard (sniff) but at a previous house, I had a couple of pear trees and the deer LOVED those. If we sat verwwy, vewwy still on the bench near the trees as evening came in, they would come within 20 feet or so to eat the pears. It was cool.

Alleyyooper, great pics...I didn't know heather grew here in Michigan.
Aw, thanks. We came here in search of land. Then we got winter (Bonus), natural beauty (bonus!), wildlife (Big Bonus!), a very nice chunk of land in a fantastic location (bonus bonus bonus!!), and amazing people (boooyah, bonus!).

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's pretty much my bucket list in one single move (and I'm going to be careful what I say because when my youngest was born it was so easy and wonderful I said if I never had another I'd be okay and a year later I was diagnosed with cancer of the girl parts, so just to be clear, universe, I'M NOT READY TO KICK THE BUCKET YET, OKAY?????!!!!!!!!).

Whew, just figured better safe than sorry on that count. Still have three boys to raise! :P

So yeah, I'm pretty much high on life right now.... and I can't help blabbing about it. Michigan is more than I hoped it would be. I'm still gobsmacked how this is not like, public knowledge.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 PM

362 posts, read 695,822 times
Deer yarding up as a practical term doesn't happen much south of the Big Mighty Mac.
In the UPPER there are areas knowen as deer yards where they spend the time in the winter year after year. They migrate for hundreds of miles to make these yards before really bad snows start. A friend who has his deer camp near Big Bay hunts these routes during the latter part of firearm season and the Muzzle loader season.

Where Our deer Camp is in the UPPER is considered one of those yarding areas too. A big one you can visit is in Hulbert Michigan. 26 years ago Kare spend a lot of time just watching the deer in that yard. Mostly Cedar swamp with less snow fall that the far north and mid UP areas. Many times my friend has to fire up his big tractor and snow blower and clear a few miles of trail to leave his hunting cabin. I think I remember in 1993 he and his partners had to shell out a couple of thousand dollars to hire the plow out since they didn't have th ebig tractor or snow blower then. Many times I have went to our deer camp at Christmas time and not found enough snow for snomobileing to our likeing.
Ya the deer here at home SE Michigan are grouped back up as they do every year shortly after deer season ends. They will stay grouped up until it is fawn drop time. We see a group of from 11 to 9 together every evening and every morning. As I was getting ready to go run the dogs this morning we had 6 laying across the creek and 3 more eatting from the Multa Flora Rose bushes another nasty plant sold to people as living fences. They do just that to fence some thing from going thru them the thorns are just awful.

Al

Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Deer yarding up as a practical term doesn't happen much south of the Big Mighty Mac.

Al
Charlevoix and Emmet counties must be your exception.

When living in rural Charlevoix a few years back every "yarding season" we would be able to count 100+ deer out back of the house. I've also seen this in Emmet just outside Petoskey.

Really, all you need is a cornfield that was harvested in the "chopping" manner where you have stalk stubs sticking up. That spells f-o-o-d, corn laying all over the field for the deer to kick the snow up and eat.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM

211 posts, read 587,989 times
Deer yarding occurs in both the UP and the NLP but in the UP the deer tend to migrate fairly long distances to get to the winter deer yards, where in the NLP they tend to stay in the same locale, just move into swamps and other areas wooded with spruce and cedar. The purpose for yarding is to seek thermal cover and protection from deep snow. During the winter a deer's metabolism slows down and their diet changes to more twigs and bark and woody browse, then the leafy forbs that they eat during summer months. The idea behind yarding is to minimize movement and conserve energy during the cold winter months.

Btw, perforator, not much found should be changed to not any evidence of CWD found since the single deer in the high fence operation was diagnosed with CWD 3 years ago. Tens of thousands of deer necropsied and not a single one has shown any trace of CWD. The Natural Resources Commission announced yesterday that they are going to be holding a series of meetings in the next several months to revisit lifting the baiting and recreational feeding ban. CWD is not a joke but it's also not in Michigan, knock wood.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswee View Post
Btw, perforator, not much found should be changed to not any evidence of CWD found since the single deer in the high fence operation was diagnosed with CWD 3 years ago. Tens of thousands of deer necropsied and not a single one has shown any trace of CWD. The Natural Resources Commission announced yesterday that they are going to be holding a series of meetings in the next several months to revisit lifting the baiting and recreational feeding ban. CWD is not a joke but it's also not in Michigan, knock wood.
Well, I wasnt exactly sure of the "none found" so put up a reasonable guess. I try to get all the info I can from various resources and hearing that last fall's deer seasons showed another "negative" on testing it seemed to me that it's a non-factor for the time being. I'm also well aware of what happened in Wisconsin and as many of the other hunters, am also very thankful.

I'm still looking for stats on how the number of firearm hunting liscenses came in this past season. Some are talking about a regional decline in hunters afield but I'd like some facts on that. It doesnt seem like other years where all you would see is orange.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:27 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Charlevoix and Emmet counties must be your exception.

When living in rural Charlevoix a few years back every "yarding season" we would be able to count 100+ deer out back of the house. I've also seen this in Emmet just outside Petoskey.

Really, all you need is a cornfield that was harvested in the "chopping" manner where you have stalk stubs sticking up. That spells f-o-o-d, corn laying all over the field for the deer to kick the snow up and eat.

Deer yard up anywhere where snow gets too deep for them and they tend to do it in places like you described. I am in chesaning area and even here they are yarding up. You dont see them lately unless they are in groups of at least 30.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:57 AM

362 posts, read 695,822 times
Some links on deer yarding. Seeing a group of deer in a corn field is not yarding..

Deer and Deer Hunting - Why Do Deer Starve Themselves in Winter?

Maine Fishing and Outdoor Magazine - Northwoods Sporting Journal - Maine's Outdoor Publication

Why Are Deer Yards Important? – Quality Deer Management Association (http://www.qdma.com/what-we-do/articles/deer-biologymanagement/deer-yards/ - broken link)

Al

Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Some links on deer yarding. Seeing a group of deer in a corn field is not yarding..

Deer and Deer Hunting - Why Do Deer Starve Themselves in Winter?

Maine Fishing and Outdoor Magazine - Northwoods Sporting Journal - Maine's Outdoor Publication

Why Are Deer Yards Important? – Quality Deer Management Association (http://www.qdma.com/what-we-do/articles/deer-biologymanagement/deer-yards/ - broken link)

Al
There sure are alot of wrong people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan