Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idw2s View Post
That does it! You have thrown down the gauntlet sir. Fishing in a toilet? How can our beautiful waterways be described as a toilet??????
Loaded with brown trout....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
That does it! You have thrown down the gauntlet sir. Fishing in a toilet? How can our beautiful waterways be described as a toilet??????

I'm offended.

Lets see. . . you go into a little room (tent or shanty) about 6 feet square cut a hole in the ice about the size of a toilet bowl. You squat down on a bucket and dangle a fishing line in the water and then basically just sit there not moving and freeze, plus it seems that you rarely catch anything. How is that not like fishing in a toilet. I guess that the toilet is heated.

It is not like you ar enjoying the beautiful outdoors sitting in a tiny tent or shack staring at a hole.

I can barely stand fishing in open water. I simply do not have the patience for it. Trolling is ok, but then you are not catching the fish, the boat is catching the fish. Squatting on a bucket in a box or tent, staring at a tiny hole would last about three minutes for me, unless I was pulling in fish like mad.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:47 PM

809 posts, read 1,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Lets see. . . you go into a little room (tent or shanty) about 6 feet square cut a hole in the ice about the size of a toilet bowl. You squat down on a bucket and dangle a fishing line in the water and then basically just sit there not moving and freeze, plus it seems that you rarely catch anything. How is that not like fishing in a toilet. I guess that the toilet is heated.

It is not like you ar enjoying the beautiful outdoors sitting in a tiny tent or shack staring at a hole.

I can barely stand fishing in open water. I simply do not have the patience for it. Trolling is ok, but then you are not catching the fish, the boat is catching the fish. Squatting on a bucket in a box or tent, staring at a tiny hole would last about three minutes for me, unless I was pulling in fish like mad.
Spearing pike is a hoot. Of course, you might want a little faster action in that too....but really, it's the next best thing to deer hunting. When a big pike cruises in there is really nothing like it.

Here's a little video to help describe the action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFzd...eature=related

Old 02-17-2011, 02:05 PM

That is kind of neat. It would be better than spearing things in the toilet. I almost felt sorry for the pike, but hey he did kill the little fish. Maybe he deserved it.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 PM

528 posts, read 885,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
If ice is questionable, take a spud and spud your way out. My brother and I fished a very remote pond for brook trout (undiscovered) but had to spud our way out with 2" of ice....it wasnt deep enough to drown in but was cold enough to impede your escape back to the vehicle through the swamp. We didnt go through on that occasion but my brother fell through into 4' of water when he revisited the spot by himself. Said he would never do that again.
Spud? Like a potato?

I'm just a simple city girl, what you talkin' bout?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Spud? Like a potato?

I'm just a simple city girl, what you talkin' bout?

A spud is a huge potatoe on a stick that you can use as a hammer to break up ice, since the potatoe will float, you can use it as a life preserver if you fall through, or if you have a knife, you can quickly carve a small canoe out of it. You can also roast it on your heater or fire in a pinch for a snack, make some potatoe whiskey if you run out of beer, or carve a small piece to look like a fish for bait to attract larger fish. It is a wonderful Ice Fishing implement. You should plant some this spring. Go to your local garden store and tell them that you want to grow an ice fishing spud.

Now we will discuss your search for Snipe when spring comes. Bring binoculors and a telephoto lens to try to get a picture, they are very rare, but extremely beautiful.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Loaded with brown trout....
I know that's supposed to reinforce the whole toilet analogy, but I am hungry, I would cut off my limbs for some fresh, local seafood right now, so all I'm thinking is dinner, not toilet.

What a killjoy I am.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:30 PM

Old 02-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Dangling a fishing line in the water? Coldjensens, I hate to tell you, but toileting, ur doin' it wrong.

My Dad used to take me fishing. When he had to. I could never sit still. Something about the whole health thing though... being in constant pain makes sitting very still in a quiet place sound very enticing.... Or at least worth trying. We'll see if I've gained patience over the years..... Assuming I can find a thick patch of ice next year. Or a potato to float on, or whatever nonsense Perforator is talking about!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Spearing pike is a hoot. Of course, you might want a little faster action in that too....but really, it's the next best thing to deer hunting. When a big pike cruises in there is really nothing like it.

Here's a little video to help describe the action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFzd...eature=related
That looks NOTHING like I would have expected.

As for Coldjensens... If laughter is the best medicine, you should be a professor of medicine, my friend. Lord knows you're better for me than those stupid pain pills. :0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan