Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM

76 posts, read 122,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Maybe, but today's thieves have ways that are a lot easier than screwing around with a siphon. I saw it on the news awhile back. Thanks to cordless tools and plastic tanks, it's a piece of cake to drill a hole in the tank and catch the gas in a portable container. Siphons are for law abiding citizens who want to transfer gas and not cause damage. Thieves don't care.

Maybe a good idea for a business would be fab and install a custom fitted skid plate to guard the tank. To protect from both thieves and road hazards. They already do it with some trucks just for off-roading, but as gas becomes more valuable, it might be worth it for cars too.
Very true. They were doing that back during the last big gas increase at the park-n-ride lots (drilling tanks). Pretty risky for a bucket of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
How can we be getting "gouged" when we pay the lowest price anywhere on the planet for a gallon of gas? As M83 pointed out, at least we get lower prices for the subsidized gas.
The more we give oil companies the less they charge us, now I see.
All we need do is give them more money and the prices should plummet even further.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 02-28-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 PM

809 posts, read 1,951,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NATIVEYOOPER View Post
As the original poster posed the questions what happens if gas hits 6.50, it is already at 3.59 in our capitol, sickening thought but 6.50 does not seem that far from reality in the very near future. We have abundant resources right here in our own country, time to start using them in the wisest manner possible, and demand putting people in place that have the smarts and know how to get it done efficiently.
I was told by a halliburton geologist that our country is sitting on enough oil reserves to last 200yrs without importing another drop.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:39 PM

362 posts, read 696,088 times
DailyTech - Organism Secretes Renewable Fuels Using CO2, Water, Sun

Al

Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
I was told by a halliburton geologist that our country is sitting on enough oil reserves to last 200yrs without importing another drop.
I'm skeptical of what a paid Halliburton employee says about oil reserves. It ultimately doesn't matter when we run out of oil -- we will run out someday. We need to get off oil ASAP.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
I know a young lady wyho works at a low wage job and her car is an older sub compact one since a low wage job will not allow for a newer more fuel efficent one. She lives 8 miles from her job so she is spending over $65.00 a month for fuel just to get to work. She lives with her grandma and would have to live on the street if not for that with the high rents in the area.

Any way I watched a PBS program where they are useing E Col I to turn switch grass sugars into bio diesel. The narater said that it will really help the mid west farmers when they can sell a crop that is fairly easy to grow on less than ideal ground.

Al
But 8 miles from a job is certainly doable with a bicycle.

There is a company looking into algae which can be grown in waste water or any kind of water to produce alcohols for alternative energy sources.

It would certainly be great if we didn't need the oil of the Middle East at all.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,543 times
lol @ malamute

Do you ride your Bike to work right now ?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 AM

362 posts, read 696,088 times
Yup just finished up the second snowiest Febuary on record in this part of Michigan with daily temp about 15 degrees below normal. Just what I would do is is ride a bike in the snow and cold on 5 lane roads to get to a minium wage job. NOT

Al

Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,937,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Yup just finished up the second snowiest Febuary on record in this part of Michigan with daily temp about 15 degrees below normal. Just what I would do is is ride a bike in the snow and cold on 5 lane roads to get to a minium wage job. NOT
Al
And how about those future retirement-agers who will be expected to work until age 72? Hope they keep in shape!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 AM

271 posts, read 665,209 times
8 miles comes in many forms. When I was a teen and in much better shape, I used to ride my bike 5 miles to school and back on nice days. But it was up and down a lot of long steep hills and was a very tough ride. This part of the state has many massive hills from where the glaciers cut the land. Now if it was 5 miles on flat road, it'd be a piece of cake.

Snow, cold, wind, rain... we do have some nice days but most of the year is not very ideal for riding a bike anywhere. If I lived in LA it'd be a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan