Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 12,188 times

Advertisements

It's true! Michigan deserves more than one city to have pro sports teams.
Here are some things that could happen.

NFL:
Name(s): Grand Rapids Kings, Grand Rapids Officers, ?
Stadium: Deltaplex Arena, probably: They would have to create a new stadium, all the stadiums in the area are not that large.

NBA:
Name(s): Grand Rapids Parrots, ?
Stadium: Van Andel Arena

MLB:
Name(s): Grand Rapids Seagulls, ?
Stadium: Fifth Third Ballpark - Would be perfect!
I would vote a MLB team the best. Grand Rapids would be perfect
for a new MLB team.

NHL:
Name(s): Grand Rapids Surfers, ?
Stadium: Van Andel arena, or create a new one.

-BrendenMM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
I would be more in favor of Major League Soccer.
Name(s): FC Grand Rapids Windmills

Old 06-12-2011, 05:51 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,071 times
It's a fun idea, but could Grand Rapids really support a professional sports team? There must be numerous larger cities that don't have any.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,219 times
Love the idea... but can't say the same for your choice of names. The Seagulls? And, why on earth the Parrots?

It'd be cool if Michigan had a professional sports in-state rivalry. To be sure, with the talent on the Griffins, they could probably survive as pro team right now.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,272,461 times
The Windmills? Might run into marketing issues. That team would blow!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Since GR is the nicer of Michigans two largest cities I say we move the teams we have in Detroit to GR. Change thier names as well, the Michigan Tigers, the Michigan Lions etc. I think the name Detroit should be removed from anything that represents the entire state. Detroit has brought shame upon our entire state because of the conditions they have created in that city. They do not deserve to have a sports team carry thier name when the entire state supports these teams. The Tigers, Lions and Redwings are Michigans teams, not just Detroits.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Since GR is the nicer of Michigans two largest cities I say we move the teams we have in Detroit to GR. Change thier names as well, the Michigan Tigers, the Michigan Lions etc. I think the name Detroit should be removed from anything that represents the entire state. Detroit has brought shame upon our entire state because of the conditions they have created in that city. They do not deserve to have a sports team carry thier name when the entire state supports these teams. The Tigers, Lions and Redwings are Michigans teams, not just Detroits.
Really? Just because you dislike Detroit means GR gets all of the sports teams? Wow, years and years of history (remember, Detroit was not always "bad") gone. And "Detroit" did not create shame for anyone, if you remember almost every area of Michigan is involved the manufacture of autos and everything that makes Michigan...Michigan. They do not "deserve" a sports team? Just what denotes deserving a sports team? Whether you like it or not, Detroit is a central part of Michigan's future and most of Michigan's population calls its metro area home.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Grand Rapids isn't big enough and doesn't have the financial resources to pull off a professional sports team (yet). The Van Andel Arena isn't big enough for NBA, which would probably be the most likely pro sports team to come first, and it's cost prohibitive to expand now (about $50 Million I heard was the last estimate).

Richard Devos does own the Orlando Magic, and people have jokingly said he should relocate them to his hometown, but that would probably never happen.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
They're one of the largest American media markets without a major level and actually larger than a few areas that do. (Buffalo, Memphis, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, and Jacksonville.) And they've got a 2 million+ population base within an hour's drive which beats any NHL team outside of the Leafs, Habs, and Canucks.

The questions are a)the arena expnasion issue. Is there a way to get Van Andel to 18K+ (seems like the exapnsion design I remember was getting it to the 15K range for competition) and b) would people pay for the tickets? The Whitecaps and Griffs do well in part because they're an affordable family night out. How many people are willing to pay 5x current ticket prices, and in the case of the Griffins for an on-ice product that isn't going to be 5x better than what's there now with the existing AAA level team?

Having said that, if there was a more affordable way of getting Van Andel up to major leave levels, I think they could pull off an NBA or NHL team there.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
They're one of the largest American media markets without a major level and actually larger than a few areas that do. (Buffalo, Memphis, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, and Jacksonville.) And they've got a 2 million+ population base within an hour's drive which beats any NHL team outside of the Leafs, Habs, and Canucks.

The questions are a)the arena expnasion issue. Is there a way to get Van Andel to 18K+ (seems like the exapnsion design I remember was getting it to the 15K range for competition) and b) would people pay for the tickets? The Whitecaps and Griffs do well in part because they're an affordable family night out. How many people are willing to pay 5x current ticket prices, and in the case of the Griffins for an on-ice product that isn't going to be 5x better than what's there now with the existing AAA level team?

Having said that, if there was a more affordable way of getting Van Andel up to major leave levels, I think they could pull off an NBA or NHL team there.
I think that's pretty optimistic that you'd be able to pull from that population. Many of those metro areas are just way bigger than GR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan