Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM

275 posts, read 441,797 times

Advertisements

I spent the past two days tooling around the U.P., visiting with our two authorized service centers. They have branches throughout the U.P., but I was visiting with the owners at their parent offices in Marquette. The meetings went very well, but that's not what this post is about. This is my first time really doing any traveling through the U.P. Oh, there were two other trips up, one a camping trip in Newberry in 2004 and snowshoeing in February of this year at Tahquamenon State Park. But, those were straight shots to our destination...not rambling drives around the U.P. like I was able to enjoy this trip up.

On my way to Marquette I took US 2, to Hwy 117, to Hwy 28, to US 41. On the way back, just for variety, I took US 41, to Hwy 28, to Hwy 94, to US 2. Driving along the shoreline of three Great Lakes is one helluva way to make a living. I lost track of the times where I would round a bend and have the view make my breath catch in my throat. The sun reflecting off of the water in Munising is the one that sticks most in my mind.

I didn't have my camera with me, unfortunately. My schedule was a little tight this trip, so stopping for photo ops probably wouldn't have been possible anyway. I did snap this one shot with my cell phone while driving along the Lake Michigan shore on US 2. Yeah, I know...I should have been watching the road and not playing with my camera phone. But, I lived through it and now I can share this picture.

Whether for business or pleasure, I'm looking forward to my next trip up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Driving through the U.P is one of the most relaxing...beautiful things anyone can do. I love that drive on US 2....its amazing! But the drives up near Lake Superior..to me, are absolutely incredible.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 AM

5,585 posts, read 984,981 times
I agree the drive along US 2 is breath taking like many other places in the UP. Been all over the UP. right up to the northern tip if not almost. When I was in Paradise, I wanted to buy land or a home there, just loved it. Gone on many road trips, oh & seriously have you ever visited a garbage known to be hang outs for bear scavenging in the pile of rubbish. quite a sight to see so many bear in one place & oh not to forget a whole lot of other people waiting & watching inside their cars,, like sitting at a movie theater. A great deal of the UP. is awesome & relaxing, takes you away from your worries for a spell anyway I may be a woman, but I loved it too.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 PM

I just scheduled a follow up meeting for September 7th, to meet with a customer in Escanaba.

The trips for work are nice, but I'm looking forward to hopping in the car with the DW and heading north. Maybe plan a weekend of sight seeing, staying over in one of the lakefront communities. I'm liking that we're now living less than an hour from The Bridge, making a weekend trip to the U.P. very doable.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
I just scheduled a follow up meeting for September 7th, to meet with a customer in Escanaba.

The trips for work are nice, but I'm looking forward to hopping in the car with the DW and heading north. Maybe plan a weekend of sight seeing, staying over in one of the lakefront communities. I'm liking that we're now living less than an hour from The Bridge, making a weekend trip to the U.P. very doable.
Thats exactly one of the reason we want to move north. Its a LONG drive to the U.P from here, and its sad we can only get there once a year if that.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:17 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
All the above reasons are why we live up here, and most everything revolves around lake Superior. There are hundreds of reasons, sites to see ,places to do and places to overnight. The UP is made up of 4 distant geographical areas. There also is a divide between West UP and East UP. Ether way , its like the tee shirt says " Like no other place on earth "... we like to call it the state of Superior , the 51 st state.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
"... we like to call it the state of Superior , the 51 st state.
I can see that. The area around where I live is all but identical to much of the U.P. I'm just a stone's throw away from the Lake Huron shoreline, and can drive along the coast on 23 much like I did yesterday along 2. But, when you cross The Bridge heading north it just somehow feels "different".

Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The UP is made up of 4 distant geographical areas. There also is a divide between West UP and East UP.
If you wouldn't mind, could you provide details? What are the dividing lines? It would likely help me when working with the shops/customers up there. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM

13 posts, read 20,765 times
The UP is pretty much split up by US2 (e-w) and US 141 (n-s). No matter where you are there, it's beautiful!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wojo View Post
If you wouldn't mind, could you provide details? What are the dividing lines? It would likely help me when working with the shops/customers up there. Thanks!
West UP starts at about Munsing, or Alger County and continues to the Wi. line beyond Ironwood.to the west up to the Copper country and back to Marquette, the new state capital and the largest county in Michigan. Marquette is also the largest city, lowest unemployment, most of the new building.. There is always a shortage of housing , a lot to do with NMU.Western UP has most of the hlils and as well the oldest mountains in the world. The Huron Mts. West UP is also rich in minerals, has a strong Finish heritage, and is only 330 miles to Chicago., from Marquette. Most of the sports fans support the Green Bay Packers, along with lots of winter sports, hockey , curling, and summer softball with basketball in winter coming in second.
Eastern UP is east of Munsing all the way to Drummond island., north to the Soo. and south to the Bridge. There are 3 great lake shores in the eastern UP. Superior, Huron and lake Michigan. There are fewer people in east UP, with the largest city the Soo.( mostly on the Canadian side). Summer tourist flock to eastern UP , they are called " fudgies" because of so many day trippers going over to the Island, and all the fudge shops on the island as well as on the mainland. Winter sports are very popular, mostly snow machine trails.There are lots of small islands in Lake Huron that contain summer homes. Vintage wood boats are the thing, always have been a favorite as the Eastern/southern UP is close to the Bridge and Lower Mi. The people in Lower Mi. are called "Trolls" cause they live under the bridge.
Thats it in a nut shell., For more info about the four geographical regions , look it up on the UP's many web sites. Its defined by county.Northeast, south east, western south , western north which in clues the Copper Country. The history is very rich in west UP., and it has less low bottom land ( swamp) than the central center of the UP east to west some.The western UP draws a lot of Chicago folks, many have summer homes up here,. MPLS also as its 10 miles closer than Chicago. Local TV 6 has a yearlong thing called the cool counties of the UP. . Check out their web site as well as UP Michigan sites, also on facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan