Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 AM

262 posts, read 788,261 times

Advertisements

TC I hear what your saying with the education, I have spent the last year studing Real Estate of all things, and was looking to invest and use my knowledge in construction to create housing that is self sufficient with Solar and Wind power, But the Realtor I have been working with says to wait, But like you said with construction jobs being few and far in between, Funds run real low. where if something happened to me everyone would be Homeless in this Family including me. we live month to month, and when jobs don't come in, I'm scrambling to line money up to paid the bills, So it's steal from Paul to pay Peter. but in my case it's barrow from Paul to pay Peter, so I keep going down instead of up. just in Three years I have had to barrow $45,500 just to make it thru the winter months well this year was worst as for work. and still owe Property Taxes. I have asked about the Taxes going up and they say there's nothing that can be done. I found out four years ago that when I bought my house on Land Contract(1993) the City Assessed the Property had a Full Finished Basement (45'x25') when in fact the basement was unfinished and only 13'x25' I asked about all the extra Taxes I had paid for from 1993 to 2003 for a Full Finished Basement and they said "Well since there's the Headly Tax you can't do anything about it. to bad." So what can I do. Nothing cause I don't have the money for a Lawyer. That's like my business I put up a web site trying to get jobs. but people aren't spending the money. my site is url removed anything to get the phone to ring for estimates.

Last edited by Marka; 09-06-2007 at 03:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 08:56 PM

106 posts, read 573,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
If you are in a stable phase of life, I think you'll be surprised by what MI has to offer. It's 10x easier living here than in the Northeast or West Coast, yet we have a wealth of amenities not too dissimilar from those regions.
That is if you are in a stable phase of life.
Excellent point.
If you are struggling, worried about being laid off, or laid off Michigan is a bad place to be.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 151,398 times
If you haven't come to port huron you should. Check out Acheson Ventures - Desmond Landing (http://www.achesonventures.com/dlvantagepoint.asp - broken link) (Vantage Point has a walkway on the water and some food). There's also information about the great lakes (videos, a tv that shows where freigthers are at). By the blue water bridges is nice too. You can watch the freighters and boats there as well. Lake Huron flows into the st. clair river there. Downtown there are some bars and restaurants. Quay street brewing is a restaurant right along the river. By the bride there is a little restaurant called Bistro 1882. Seems like a popular little place.
There are also several parks along the river and on lake huron.
Downtown there is a boat which goes down the river a ways and gives you information about the river and boats that sank there ). If you like sailboats we have a Tall ship which you can sail on. Then there is a retired light ship and a retired coast guard cutter. The biggest event in town is the port huron to mackinaw sailboat race. Port Huron to Mackinac Boat Race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh and there are lots of lights at christmas time.

I have to say Mackinaw seems overated. I went there and got covered with a mix of mud and horse poop.

Last edited by zygnoda; 10-06-2007 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: mackinaw

Old 10-06-2007, 06:49 PM

34 posts, read 95,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1monster View Post
Lived in Sterling hts my entire life untill 3 years ago. i also worked at Gm and let me tell you when Gm decides to make cuts the whole state suffers.
Michigan is to dependant on the auto industry, When i left i hated it. It was all i have ever known, However now that im gone i really have no desire to ever go back (other than to visit family) i now live in wisconsin and am currently moving To south carolina, Both states are a heck of alot cheaper than michigan.
Funny I just moved here from Kenosha WI and it was pretty expensive for housing due to all the FIB's moving there. I also lived in Charleston for six years and it is really pricey now. As far as the state being run by GM. I grew up north of GR and we did not consider Detroit a part of MI anyways

Old 10-06-2007, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 42,708 times
Default Don't let Cheaper fool you

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1monster View Post
Lived in Sterling hts my entire life untill 3 years ago. i also worked at Gm and let me tell you when Gm decides to make cuts the whole state suffers.
Michigan is to dependant on the auto industry, When i left i hated it. It was all i have ever known, However now that im gone i really have no desire to ever go back (other than to visit family) i now live in wisconsin and am currently moving To south carolina, Both states are a heck of alot cheaper than michigan.
I live in South Carolina and trust me, you'll see a pay cut.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:31 PM

214 posts, read 725,125 times
Michigan is a beautiful state, no doubt.

I just cannot take the winters anymore. Why be stuck inside 5-6 Months out of the year? I love being outside, being productive, and being in the sun. The winter months without seeing the sun for a week on end is just depressing. Throw in the gray sky and gray landscaping and it's just hell.

Glad to hear some of your stories about moving here and loving it...best wishes to you, and everyone else that stays!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,150 times
It must be perspective. I think as Michigan winters as the most romantic time. Comfort foods, wood burners and fireplaces. Neighbors helping each other dig out. I've always felt more of a sense of community during the winters in Michigan.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikU19 View Post
Michigan is a beautiful state, no doubt.

I just cannot take the winters anymore. Why be stuck inside 5-6 Months out of the year? I love being outside, being productive, and being in the sun. The winter months without seeing the sun for a week on end is just depressing. Throw in the gray sky and gray landscaping and it's just hell.

Glad to hear some of your stories about moving here and loving it...best wishes to you, and everyone else that stays!
I guess you must have been from up north. I grew up in Chicago and SE MI winters are wimpy in comparison. And in Chicago, I still never stayed indoors 5-6 months of the year. We have something called jackets. The only time we tried to stay indoors was when it was actually snowing, which it does not do straight for more than a day or two. Like the previous person said, it would not be Christmas without skating on State St. and seeing the window displays at Marshall Fields. What do people do in Phoenix or Las Vegas? Here's the kicker. When I was in Mississippi for a summer, we DID stay inside the entire time b/c you would be a soppy mess during the day if you stepped out and eaten alive at night. There are no air-conditioned jackets last time I checked...

Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 PM

214 posts, read 725,125 times
I'm right outside Detroit, actually. I enjoy the warmer climates and all the possibilities/opportunities it brings. You can enjoy yourself for some time in cold weather dressed properly but to me it just doesnt compare to a mild winter/hot summer location. I enjoy the heat, and sweating to me is invigorating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
I guess you must have been from up north. I grew up in Chicago and SE MI winters are wimpy in comparison. And in Chicago, I still never stayed indoors 5-6 months of the year. We have something called jackets. The only time we tried to stay indoors was when it was actually snowing, which it does not do straight for more than a day or two. Like the previous person said, it would not be Christmas without skating on State St. and seeing the window displays at Marshall Fields. What do people do in Phoenix or Las Vegas? Here's the kicker. When I was in Mississippi for a summer, we DID stay inside the entire time b/c you would be a soppy mess during the day if you stepped out and eaten alive at night. There are no air-conditioned jackets last time I checked...

Old 10-07-2007, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 42,708 times
Well, the summers are super hot here and very very humid. I moved here from Michigan. And right now, I've had 4 SC summers and I'll take back my cold winters now lol. Unless you don't suffer from heat stroke or heat exhaustion easily, you'll be stuck in A/C from March til November.

Although, if you live in a city like Atlanta, you'll probably do fine. Atlanta is flourshing and Greenville, SC is doing okay. But Atlanta is better if you ask me. But wherever you go, whatever you do, I hope you find that weather that suits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan