Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:40 PM

16 posts, read 129,704 times

Advertisements

To everyone who is thinking about relocating to Michigan, Please think hard about that. Michigan is dying and they dont see a turn around for the next 7-8 years.
The big 3 are laying off people left and right - thousands of employees. Our unemployment rate is the highest in the nation. Forclosures and bankruptcies are at an all time high. Between Oakland, Macomb, & St. Clair Counties there was a reported 260,000 homes forclosed on this year alone.

Where are all those families?? No public offical seems to know that answer.

Also, incase you didnt know - here in Michigan - there is no time table for people on welfare. They can live off our tax dollars for life.

So people, think before you move. There are no jobs here. Pull up 'The Detroit News and Free Press' online and look at the job postings.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about relocating here.

~~ Wendi ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 05:10 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,399 times
Our state is just going to have to shift. Our economy psychologically and in other ways is so linked to the automotive companies. We'll just have to change and diversify. The auto companies will have to do the same. But, it WILL turn around. It always does.

Metro Detroit is not the entire state of Michigan. There are other industries and jobs in other areas.

I'm sure people thinking about relocating here know all about the state of our economy--if they have done their homework, etc.

I'm grateful that my husband and I have financial security because we didn't max out on our mortgage.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendiG View Post
To everyone who is thinking about relocating to Michigan, Please think hard about that. Michigan is dying and they dont see a turn around for the next 7-8 years.
The big 3 are laying off people left and right - thousands of employees. Our unemployment rate is the highest in the nation. Forclosures and bankruptcies are at an all time high. Between Oakland, Macomb, & St. Clair Counties there was a reported 260,000 homes forclosed on this year alone.

Where are all those families?? No public offical seems to know that answer.

Also, incase you didnt know - here in Michigan - there is no time table for people on welfare. They can live off our tax dollars for life.

So people, think before you move. There are no jobs here. Pull up 'The Detroit News and Free Press' online and look at the job postings.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about relocating here.

~~ Wendi ~
This is so true! I agree with everything you said....

Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 PM

11 posts, read 67,857 times
My husband managed to stay working for 19 months this last time, until they had plant layoffs.... not auto related! Before that, the company move to India~! Everyone you talk to is either loosing their job or their hours are being cut or their salary is or both! My job went from 40 hrs a week to 9 hrs! What can ya do with that? So, you get laid off... not what?

Well, you draw a 1/3 of what you where making on the job for unemployment. You have no insurance, unless you can afford to pay the $800 a month for Cobra for the family. So, you're driving your car around with no medical insurance. If, your auto insurance company knew that.... they'd double their premiums!

You have to shut off your cable tv, cut back on food & forget going out & doing something for fun ... there is no money for that when you're on unemployment. Then, there's the depression that acompanies the stress of hearing "No, we're not hiring", all the time!

Unless you are a doctor or a lawyer, you have no future in MI .. atleast in the Grand Rapids area. Walk through the Mall! Half the stores are closed or boarded up. You don't see people carring shopping bags .... no, you see people alright, but they are "walkers" getting in their exercise for the day!

Still think there's a bright future there? I'm so happy, we took the plunge, very recently, & moved from there. Life is good .... much, much better that is was!

Old 12-19-2006, 10:04 AM

16 posts, read 129,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeme View Post
My husband managed to stay working for 19 months this last time, until they had plant layoffs.... not auto related! Before that, the company move to India~! Everyone you talk to is either loosing their job or their hours are being cut or their salary is or both! My job went from 40 hrs a week to 9 hrs! What can ya do with that? So, you get laid off... not what?

Well, you draw a 1/3 of what you where making on the job for unemployment. You have no insurance, unless you can afford to pay the $800 a month for Cobra for the family. So, you're driving your car around with no medical insurance. If, your auto insurance company knew that.... they'd double their premiums!

You have to shut off your cable tv, cut back on food & forget going out & doing something for fun ... there is no money for that when you're on unemployment. Then, there's the depression that acompanies the stress of hearing "No, we're not hiring", all the time!

Unless you are a doctor or a lawyer, you have no future in MI .. atleast in the Grand Rapids area. Walk through the Mall! Half the stores are closed or boarded up. You don't see people carring shopping bags .... no, you see people alright, but they are "walkers" getting in their exercise for the day!

Still think there's a bright future there? I'm so happy, we took the plunge, very recently, & moved from there. Life is good .... much, much better that is was!

You are sooo right! Sad - so very sad but very true!

Old 12-21-2006, 11:41 AM
r1a

3 posts, read 17,546 times
Post Don't forget the plummeting housing values........

One other thing to think about before relocating to Michigan, our housing values are dropping like rocks. For the last ten to fifteen years, houses in my area were selling like hot cakes and home values were rising just as fast. I live in Brighton, which is a very nice, safe, community with excellent schools, beautiful parks and a great downtown area. Even with all of these perks, homes in this area are just not selling anymore.
For people that are being transferred here to jobs that have nothing to do with the automotive industry, you may still want to think long and hard before investing too much in a home here. I have a feeling that our "Real Estate Bubble" isn't even close to being completely deflated.
Maria

Old 12-21-2006, 08:23 PM

10 posts, read 151,181 times
I have one for you, I am moving to Northern Michigan in the middle of winter from Hawaii!!! Hawaii has the LOWEST unemployment in the nation, Michigan has the highest..........BUT

Housing in Hawaii is out of this world with everything super expensive too.
I have a 4 grand mortgage here and will have a 700. one in Mich.

People from Michigan still live in the "factory rat" age, it is over folks, the internet is how you make a living in Michigan, but people there don't even go online for the most part STILL!!!

Anyway, I am looking forward to the snow, the lakes, the animals, the fall, the spring, the rivers, the natural beauty, but MOST of ALL ..........the affordability of Michigan! Oh I am from Michigan and went to Hawaii 20 years ago, even then NO ONE I knew believed I could go to Hawaii and make it.........I will say this, if you think you can you can, if you think you can't you can't...............

Not only don't I need to find a "job" there I hope to create some jobs there

aloha from Hawaii

Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,399 times
Default So true

Quote:
I will say this, if you think you can you can, if you think you can't you can't...............
So true...I belive in that too

Old 12-22-2006, 02:19 PM

146 posts, read 640,910 times
Default Northern Lights

Amen Sister, I third that one!

Old 12-25-2006, 09:01 PM

250 posts, read 932,858 times
Quote:
People from Michigan still live in the "factory rat" age, it is over folks, the internet is how you make a living in Michigan, but people there don't even go online for the most part STILL!!!

Anyway, I am looking forward to the snow, the lakes, the animals, the fall, the spring, the rivers, the natural beauty, but MOST of ALL ..........the affordability of Michigan! Oh I am from Michigan and went to Hawaii 20 years ago, even then NO ONE I knew believed I could go to Hawaii and make it.........I will say this, if you think you can you can, if you think you can't you can't...............
I keep reading about how Michigan is the factory state, but I know no one who works in one! In fact most of the people I know who are layed off are in other professions (not automotive either) and I live in the Metro Detroit area.

Yes Michigan is affordable, if you have a decent income. I'm really not trying to be a downer. It's just I'm in the medical profession and have been looking for quite sometime. I rarely get an interview. When I do send out a resume i usually get a response that goes something like this:" Although your resume is quite impressive, yada yada yada, we are unable to find a position for you at this current time, yada, yada, yada.
I've applied at tons of hospitals, even in their food service dept. and there is no work available. Heck at this point, I'd work anywhere that would give me insurance. I've never had a job with health insurance.

I work at as a waitress when I can, but the tips I earn barely cover the cost of a baby sitter. So really, there is no point to work. KWIM?

I am intrigued by people who work at home/ on the net, what do you do? I am unsure how someone does this for a living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan