Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 04:05 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times

Advertisements

Check it out:

Industrial states take lead in jobs - Toledo Blade

Maybe this isn't big news to all of you, I've seen similar stories from other sources recently, but I thought it was worth repeating. Awesome news for those of us who are happy here and already know what this great state has to offer.

I can't help but be a little excited to see what the next few years bring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
I think its pretty exciting! I knew when all the bad news starting coming down, it would turn around after a while. This is the hardest working part of the country, and there was just no way we were gonna stay down for long.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 AM

102 posts, read 235,544 times
I read this article in the Detroiter (a magazine I stumbled across at the Ferndale Public Library) and got me pretty excited - though it was republished in the Freep.

An excerpt " So here we are just a little two years later. GM and Ford are posting all-time record profits, and Chrysler will probably do that this year. Car dealers, suppliers and the automakers are poised to hire back 190,000 people.

That's why I'm so bullish about the rest of this decade. Population growth is going to push car sales to all-time record levels, maybe as high as 20 million vehicles. That's going to propel the Detroit Three to eye-popping levels of profitability. The Golden Age is just around the corner."
Guest commentary: The Detroit Three are back! Told you so | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20120119/OPINION05/201190391/Guest-commentary-The-Detroit-Three-are-back-Told-you-so?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7COpinion%7Cp - broken link)

Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
I was saying, over a year ago, that Michigan would become one of the best states for job opportunities in a few years, providing that the national economy does not tank. I still think that there is a 60% chance that the national economy is going to tank within the next 2 years. I think the winds of war are blowing towards Iran and I think that it has long been a plan to overthrow Iran and it looks like we are setting the population up for a "false flag" terrorist attack in the US, or somewhere against American interest, that will be blamed on Iran and create the pretext for war or either the situation in Syria or actions by Israel against Iran, will destabalize global economies. I think that we can expect gas price around 5 dollars a gallon before the years end......which has always hurt the domestic auto industry sales which is tilted towards gas guzzling vehicles.

In short, if the US comes back Michigan will be a pack leader. However, if the nation crumbles, Michigan will crumble along with it. I hate to be so doom and gloom.....but I am trying to be optimistic.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM

21,136 posts, read 19,722,567 times
^ Another thought provoking post, as usual.

I just hope that the automakers have learned their lesson:
  1. Put aside some of those profits so that you can sustain operations during the next economic downturn without running to the government for help. I see you're going on a spending binge and it makes me wonder.
  2. Have a plan in pace to rapidly downsize production the next time people stop buying cars so that you won't lose so much money.
  3. Don't think I'm stupid enough to buy stock shares in your company just to be "dumped" the next time you declare bankruptcy. Learned my lesson the last time not to show my support by buying stock with you guys.
  4. Hire some people who know how to run a manufacturing company, like engineers or managers with experience in manufacturing. Finance guys should not be running the company.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:06 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
While I'm skeptical about any statistic that makes a bad situation look better by comparing it to an awful situation prior (like Detroit's recent increase in home values) at least the anti Snyder rhetoric is sputtering

Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
This interactive map (with data) shows Grand Rapids leading the nation in private industry job growth, and Lansing leading the nation in manufacturing job growth since June of 09:

Charts and Graphs | MetroTrends

I'm shocked at some of the 5 year job losses in some of the communities, like Las Vegas losing 14% of its jobs (GR lost 3.9% and it feels sluggish).

Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
This interactive map (with data) shows Grand Rapids leading the nation in private industry job growth, and Lansing leading the nation in manufacturing job growth since June of 09:

Charts and Graphs | MetroTrends

I'm shocked at some of the 5 year job losses in some of the communities, like Las Vegas losing 14% of its jobs (GR lost 3.9% and it feels sluggish).
The United States went from being the worlds largest creditor with the largest trade surplus, after WWII, to being the worlds largest debtor running the worlds largest trade deficit.

The nation cannot come back unitl we address the issue of debt and trade, both being correlated. When we import more more than we export we have to borrow the difference. The only way that the non oil related component of the trade gap is going to improve is by bringing back America's manufacturing might. If and when that happens Michigan is positioned to be a leader in the nations economic turnaround.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan