Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:48 PM

156 posts, read 351,033 times

Advertisements

CNN just reported Michigan hit 9.6% unemployment, the highest in the nation. The report also said that the unemployment fund is going to be insolvent in a few weeks. Yikes, looks like all those people who were jumping all over those who said things were about to collapse as chicken little’s were the ones who were wrong. I read a few months ago one poster saying that people were in line to get ice cream, and from this they determined that all was fine are going to have to eat a little crow.
Little Rock has a 4.3% unemployment rate. Wichita has about the same. I can see why many people are moving to the south. I know the recession is affecting the whole country, but Michigan more than any other. I think you will see times in Michigan that have not been seen for 70 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 04:32 PM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandrunning View Post
CNN just reported Michigan hit 9.6% unemployment, the highest in the nation.
Little Rock has a 4.3% unemployment rate. Wichita has about the same. I can see why many people are moving to the south. I know the recession is affecting the whole country, but Michigan more than any other. I think you will see times in Michigan that have not been seen for 70 years.
you can't compare a cities overall unemployment with an entire states unemployment

Old 12-17-2008, 05:57 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
CNN just reported Michigan hit 9.6% unemployment, the highest in the nation. The report also said that the unemployment fund is going to be insolvent in a few weeks. Yikes, looks like all those people who were jumping all over those who said things were about to collapse as chicken little’s were the ones who were wrong. I read a few months ago one poster saying that people were in line to get ice cream, and from this they determined that all was fine are going to have to eat a little crow.
Yeah, especially since I've only been around for like 38 years.

upandrunning, you're a one note samba, from Wichita to Arkansas to Myrtle Beach. What do you care what happens in Michigan? Never mind.

Last edited by magellan; 12-17-2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
You remind me of a person sitting a half mile inland from the shore, in a lawn chair, watching the local live coverage of a tsunami just reaching the shore and destroying the beach front homes and wrecking the lives of many people.

Hmmmmm…..me thinks you are a little naive in regards to the order events occur and what it portends for others inland….in short order.

On another topic, do you think there is a big difference in the standing of a person whose average test score is 90.4 vs a person whose average score is 96.5? An unemployment rate of 9.6 theoretically means that 90.4 percent of the workforce is employed, which is not that much worse than your “cities” (vs our a state), having 96.5% employment.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
I thought RI had the highest, surpassing MI a month or so back... is this new data? Sorry to jump into this forum, but I usually post in Maine and MA and saw this on the main page.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 AM

156 posts, read 351,033 times
Yep, It was on CNN Wed. morn. It said that Michigan had 9.6%. It said this factored in some counties that had over 15%. Now Chrisler is shutting down all of its productions for 30 days. Ford is shutting some also, and GM well who cares.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
I think the figures are misleading and irrelevent. I've been back here for one year now,(I lived here form 98-03). When I left FL I was signed up with 3 temp services, never got a call from any of them in a 2 month span. When I first got here the temp service put me to work the very first week and it was a 45 day assignment. I couldn't get a job in my trade in FL for over a year. It took five months, but up here I got a good job in my trade. At least when you get a job up here, you can count on the pay being better and it's generally gonna last longer.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
You have to look at this way -- many people in Michigan are not unemployed, if 10% are, that means 90% are doing just fine.

In fact because the salaries in Michigan are so much higher than other places, those 90% who are employed are doing better. Teachers for example in other states don't make over $100,000 a year or anywhere near that so in Michigan if you're a teacher, why would you leave?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I think the figures are misleading and irrelevent. I've been back here for one year now,(I lived here form 98-03). When I left FL I was signed up with 3 temp services, never got a call from any of them in a 2 month span. When I first got here the temp service put me to work the very first week and it was a 45 day assignment. I couldn't get a job in my trade in FL for over a year. It took five months, but up here I got a good job in my trade. At least when you get a job up here, you can count on the pay being better and it's generally gonna last longer.
That's exactly right. Most people in Michigan are paid far more money than people in other states. Leaving would amount to a big pay cut. Welfare in Michigan provides much more than in other states so those receiving welfare would be crazy to leave. Autoworkers in the south make significantly less than those in Michigan who are better off not working at all because they're paid even when they don't work.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
70 years ago we had 33% unemployment. It's not nearly that bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan